Antivirus results cheating investigation in progress

AV-C has uncovered an infringement of the testing agreement by one of the vendors participating in its tests. It has been found that a product submitted for testing by the vendor had been specifically engineered for the major testing labs, including AV-C; public availability of this version was limited. A second vendor is also being investigated for similar reasons. When this analysis is complete, AV-C will announce the measures it will take against the vendor(s) found to be in breach of contract.

http://weblog.av-comparatives.org/?p=501

• Like 3

Had to read an entire other forum to figure out what this is...

Basically.. an AV Company gave a modified copy of their software to skew the results of an AV Comparison test.  So the companies product would fare better on the controlled tests.. than it would in the hands of consumers?

Sounds like 90% of hardware released...

What a ###### title - something like this would be better

AV testing companies investigating possible fraud of av maker

Oh wow

As part of the investigation into Qihoo 360, counter?accusations were levelled by the company against
two fellow Chinese security firms, Baidu and Tencent.
Analysis of products submitted for testing by
these companies turned up some unexpected flags within their products, marked with the names of
several test labs and implying some difference in product behavior depending on the environment
they
were run in

Does it really matter what the title is? I have been saying since Qihoo released an English that the program is shady. No one believed me. Well the proof is in the pudding. Open mouth insert foot. 

Does it really matter what the title is? I have been saying since Qihoo released an English that the program is shady. No one believed me. Well the proof is in the pudding. Open mouth insert foot. 

Kind of matters.. I mean.. when I think of an investigation... it could be anything..except for dodgy av's....

For the sake of clarity, yes.   And gloating is not an attractive trait either.  You want people to trust your integrity, then earn it.

• Like 3

For the sake of clarity, yes.   And gloating is not an attractive trait either.  You want people to trust your integrity, then earn it.

LMFAO..................My integrity speaks for itself. Whenever Neowin posted an update for 360 TS I warned people about using it. <snipped> Well if the title offends people have a mod change it since I cannot. Look at my post here also.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1251588-qihoo-360-wanring/

I have questioned Total Security 360 ever since first seen it meationed on Neowin. First of all, it's a Chinese company for God's sake! Why would anyone install security software on their PC from China in the first place? Questioned also why I have only seen this software featured on Neowin...

I have questioned Total Security 360 ever since first seen it meationed on Neowin. First of all, it's a Chinese company for God's sake! Why anyone would install security software on their PC from China in the first place? I have also questioned why have only seen this software featured on Neowin...

True dat Mike! 360 Total Security/Internet Security is available for download on Downoad.com. Majorgeeks, Softpedia and Snapfile. 

I have questioned Total Security 360 ever since first seen it meationed on Neowin. First of all, it's a Chinese company for God's sake! Why would anyone install security software on their PC from China in the first place? Questioned also why I have only seen this software featured on Neowin...

And yet you are using a Chinese made phone, typing in this topic using Chinese made hardware.

@GTR707 - Your 'anti-enthusiasm' when it comes to Qihoo products is just plain suspicious. You updated your topic here with the latest 'news' and also here. You're killing me.

From a 'twisted' point of view, you GTR707 are like a Swiss watch; never late on bashing competition products. Now, what I think about Qihoo? Nothing, it doesn't make me feel worst or better (like you feel) because like I already said I'm antivirus free since 2005 and I don't feel the need of installing one. And, just like I said, I don't care about Qihoo, Kaspersky, Eset or anyone else.

What I think about this deal is a different thing; there's a lot of money flowing in the internet nowadays and since the beginning of the internet. And also there's a lot of competition in the Windows security world, and since the concept of antivirus is pretty dead, a lot of bad things can happen. Like someone getting very angry on a certain day of the week and reporting the (FREE) competition for example, just for fun or maybe because a certain security company is losing money.

And no, I'm not blind to see what Qihoo did here but I have my principles and to report a certain product, company or person to a higher 'factor' just because I'm losing money, it doesn't make me the man I believe I am, that's why I will continue to recommend Qihoo software to my friends/family.

If someday I will start my own software company and I will start loosing money with my paid product, I will try to FIND A SOLUTION TO IMPROVE IT, but I will never play dirty like someone did here last week and reported Qihoo to AVC.

With all due respect, maybe my explanations are complicated for you, or maybe I'm not so good when it comes to the English language, that's why if the above lines doesn't appear to be clear to you, I will try to simplify my concept: I Will Never Snitch just for the purpose of making money or something else. I was born and raised in a very communist country, that's why I know very well the harsh reality of snitching: neighbors reporting neighbors to the secret police, friends reporting friends and so on.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, just like you said try to 'educate' a little bit yourself and watch this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405094/

• Like 2

<snipped>

wait wait wait..

Its very stupid for a AV company to doctor results and I think it's extremely low of them, but even if doing such a thing doesn't make their engine bad. Low morals sure, good engine sure. Look at samsung doctoring bench testing, people still buy them because the act of cheating doesn't determine end result of product.

This is not about problems with 360. it's about 360 cheating and submitting a different version of there software. A version modified to get good results. They did this by disabling the QVM engine and making Bitdefender the primary engine. The QVM engine cannot be disabled in the version posted on Neowin or other sites.

Ah, then you probably won't mind if Neowin continues to post them, since, according to you, there is no problems with the software.

• Like 1

I don't read AV test reports much anymore, but it seems the problem here is the testing agency. Shouldn't they just buy the software from a store like everyone else and test that version to ensure they aren't getting duped? Having any vender send you something for testing leaves room for gaming.

I don't read AV test reports much anymore, but it seems the problem here is the testing agency. Shouldn't they just buy the software from a store like everyone else and test that version to ensure they aren't getting duped? Having any vender send you something for testing leaves room for gaming.

AV vendors submit their programs to be tested. AVTest.org and AV Comparatives do not download the software like we do. But that should be the case. Either way i have been telling members over and over not to trust Qihoo. No one believed me. Qihoo made a version with the QVM engine disabled and the Bitdefender engine made as the primary detection. We, the public cannot do this. The version of 360 Total Security posted on this website and others has the QVM engine enabled with no way to disable it. So when you see the graphs of 360 with top scores that is not from the QVM engine but the Bitdefender engine. Websites such as Malwaretips or MalwareUp cannot be taken seriously. Just like YouTube testers. They are nothing about armature people testing antiviruses using a VM. Real malware testing needs to be performed on a real machine by a knowledgeable person.

I am still using 360, I will continue to use 360. It has served me well for almost a year on multiple machines. 

• Like 2