Lg G3 rooting/rom help

Hey folks,

So i'm trying to flash cyanogenmod on my lg g3 to get rid of nasty things like mcafee, lg smartworld and other useless junk. (though not as bad as touchwiz), but I've never done anything android related (only Jailbreaking on iOS), basically I need a "how to dummy guide to flashing cyanogenmod on lg g3"

Now bare in mind i'm a complete uber  noob. now before you let me google that for you, I have done my fair share of reading, but I seem to not get past what to do after root, with one click root:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/general/guide-root-lg-firmwares-kitkat-lollipop-t3056951

After rooting, what would be the next step?

XDA/google says, flash recovery, but whilst googling there are 1001 methods, CWM TWRP, :/

Help a guy out?

First

download this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cgollner.flashify

Then find the TWRP file for your version of your LG G3.

Then flash it using flashify. That's it.

Now download your ROM .. I'm using CM 12.1 on mine and also grab the 5.1 Gapps NOT the 5.01 versions. Put them on an SD.

I also recommend a little boot into recovery widget or app. Which when you press it, boots your phone into recovery. Easier than having to hold down a key combo.  You can find a few of those in the app store.

I'd also recommend backing up photos you don't want to loose onto your computer first just in case.

Once you've flashed TWRP and once you download CM12.1 and the Gapps for 5.1 now it's time to flash. Reboot your phone to recovery.

I'd recommend doing a backup first Then flash CM 12.1 and then Gapps. As far as what to clear before you flash, clear dalvik , Cache, system

Then end. reboot.

Hope that points you in the right direction.

Using the method above once I was rooted I had a CM ROM on my phone in less than 10 mins. You are going to be amazed on how fast your phone is Once you install CM.

• Like 1

First

download this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cgollner.flashify

Then find the TWRP file for your version of your LG G3.

Then flash it using flashify. That's it.

Now download your ROM .. I'm using CM 12.1 on mine and also grab the 5.1 Gapps NOT the 5.01 versions. Put them on an SD.

I also recommend a little boot into recovery widget or app. Which when you press it, boots your phone into recovery. Easier than having to hold down a key combo.  You can find a few of those in the app store.

I'd also recommend backing up photos you don't want to loose onto your computer first just in case.

Once you've flashed TWRP and once you download CM12.1 and the Gapps for 5.1 now it's time to flash. Reboot your phone to recovery.

I'd recommend doing a backup first Then flash CM 12.1 and then Gapps. As far as what to clear before you flash, clear dalvik , Cache, system

Then end. reboot.

Hope that points you in the right direction.

Using the method above once I was rooted I had a CM ROM on my phone in less than 10 mins. You are going to be amazed on how fast your phone is Once you install CM.

Thanks!  Will try after work!

How did you find the camera app vrs the stock one in LG UX?

I'm the same boat. I have the D855 version and was about to flash it this coming weekend. Esp. watching Warwagon's review and a few others on youtube. Aslo same question as OP, is the camera stable/ up to snuff on CM12?

• Like 1

I'm the same boat. I have the D855 version and was about to flash it this coming weekend. Esp. watching Warwagon's review and a few others on youtube. Aslo same question as OP, is the camera stable/ up to snuff on CM12?

Camera and is laser fully working?

@Knife, just remember, IR blaster, knock code will be code (tap to wake will be available).

Camera and is laser fully working?

@Knife, just remember, IR blaster, knock code will be code (tap to wake will be available).

Oh that's fine, I don't use the IR blaster or knockcode, so having tap to wake is good. :)

• Like 1

I grabbed the LG G2's .... Camera's APK .. so i've been using that. I think it looks ok.

So did you get it CM12.1 intsalled?

Sup foo.

Actually no, been doing a lot of reading, considering alternative ROMs.

CM 12.1 only features tap to sleep on the status bar am I correct?  A lot of reviews on reddit state cloudy rom (based on stock) is a lot better than CM12.

It seems there are mixed experiences with CM12, some report battery is better, some report it is worse. I don't like not being able to predict that out come. Then a lot of  other weird bugs.

For camera apps, I found an HTC m8 port, but is has to be flashed, in case you are interested.

Have you run into any weird bugs? Currently deciding between CM 12.1 and Cloudy (just cause of tap to sleep) and camera app.

But just the sheer amount of random bugs for any rom scare me to be honest :/ Currently considering just rooting and freezing/removin bloat apps

threads such as this: 

http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/help/lag-killing-t3098363/post60526607

Stock CM-12 is bug ridden just beware, most AOSP ROMs like BlissPop, etc. Have better battery life, overall better performance, and often fix the bugs in the stock CM-12 builds, so in all honesty it goes:

Sup foo.

Actually no, been doing a lot of reading, considering alternative ROMs.

CM 12.1 only features tap to sleep on the status bar am I correct?  A lot of reviews on reddit state cloudy rom (based on stock) is a lot better than CM12.

It seems there are mixed experiences with CM12, some report battery is better, some report it is worse. I don't like not being able to predict that out come. Then a lot of  other weird bugs.

For camera apps, I found an HTC m8 port, but is has to be flashed, in case you are interested.

Have you run into any weird bugs? Currently deciding between CM 12.1 and Cloudy (just cause of tap to sleep) and camera app.

But just the sheer amount of random bugs for any rom scare me to be honest :/

threads such as this: 

http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/help/lag-killing-t3098363/post60526607

The only bug I've experienced and haven't experienced after the last few nighties was after a phone call I couldn't swipe up to unlock the phone. In fact I couldn't unlock it until I restarted the phone.

The only bug I've experienced and haven't experienced after the last few nighties was after a phone call I couldn't swipe up to unlock the phone. In fact I couldn't unlock it until I restarted the phone.

Edited above post a bit. CM 12.1 only features tap to sleep on the status bar am I correct?

Have you notice any improvement in battery life/performance.

Also what is your model?

Also I don't get why the cell CM 12.1 is still on nightly after soooooooooooo long.

Edited above post a bit. CM 12.1 only features tap to sleep on the status bar am I correct?

Have you notice any improvement in battery life/performance.

Also what is your model?

Also I don't get why the cell CM 12.1 is still on nightly after soooooooooooo long.

1) Tap to sleep appears to only be at the top of the screen. Never looked to see if I Could move it

2) As far as battery life I don't have much to compare it to. I flashed the phone with custom firmware about 5 mins after I opened the box. But It seems good. I went to bed last night with 70% . I don't live on my phone but I did use it yesterday. As far as performance, Its been running like a dream. Only reason I use CM12.1 and not a custom rom based off CM12 is that I get instant access to the nightly. Without having to wait for the custom rom maker to update his rom.

3) Mine is the LG G3 32GB VS985

4) As far as 12.1 nightly ... 12.1 just arrived around  April 18th - 20th. Before then it was just CM12.

• Like 1

Did you make a decision yet?

Tried CM 12.1

Calls wouldn't hang up randomly and call volume was too low, also weird battery behavior, some forums said I needed to recalibrate battery because after wiping "calibration data" gets corrupted/erased.

I was looking at stock based ROMS, but they are all bugged ridden as well.  AOSP doesn't have tap to sleep and several other roms are based on CM12, so bugs in CM12 wil be there as well (Blisspop and candy)

In my desperation, I found this:

http://aicp-rom.com/

However, have given up until roms mature a bit more. But that lack of stable releases (milestones) is dissapointing really, every other rom is either on nightly or even on beta stages, I guess LG G3 isnt that popular on modders.

Tried CM 12.1

Calls wouldn't hang up randomly and call volume was too low, also weird battery behavior, some forums said I needed to recalibrate battery because after wiping "calibration data" gets corrupted/erased.

I was looking at stock based ROMS, but they are all bugged ridden as well.  AOSP doesn't have tap to sleep and several other roms are based on CM12, so bugs in CM12 wil be there as well (Blisspop and candy)

In my desperation, I found this:

http://aicp-rom.com/

However, have given up until roms mature a bit more. But that lack of stable releases (milestones) is dissapointing really, every other rom is either on nightly or even on beta stages, I guess LG G3 isnt that popular on modders.

wow, I must be extremely lucky. I did have the call not hanging up bug a few weeks ago on the Android 5 but haven't had it since on 5.1 or 5.1.1 . Battery life in my case is good. Haven't even had the swipe up lock screen not working bug for a week (might have gotten fixed). For me CM12.1 has been rock solid as of recently.

• Like 1

wow, I must be extremely lucky. I did have the call not hanging up bug a few weeks ago on the Android 5 but haven't had it since on 5.1 or 5.1.1 . Battery life in my case is good. Haven't even had the swipe up lock screen not working bug for a week (might have gotten fixed). For me CM12.1 has been rock solid as of recently.

Yeah, sadly, there are too many mixed situations mine is international model D855, I am now part of the "too many bugs" statistics. Like I said, I want to try stock based roms, but then what's the point :/

I was having trouble when I went back to stock and this helped me: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1250836-help-flashing-a-rom/

Edit:  Ooops, nevermind.  I never refreshed the thread.  I thought you were still having problems installing CM12.  My CM12 is working well compared to stock.  Slightly less battery than stock but definitely livable.

• 4 weeks later...