GOG Galaxy enters open beta for all to try

got an invite there this evening. seems like a good start nd pretty stable for an alpha.

VUEYA6Zm.jpg

qi7mk8Ym.jpg

xEwRiKCm.jpg

makes it much easier to download and install games compared to how gog's previous downloader worked that's for sure. has auto patching included and the extra content for each game is stored under the more tab.

I installed it last night but not had a chance to play with it... but looking good! And will be great for when Witcher 3 is released.

Seems stable and it's convenient if nothing else. I'm installing almost all my games (235GB downloaded so far).

Issues I have:

- sorting games: this one is getting on my chesticles (usual word for this expression is censored of course) as it doesn't have a manual mode. I wonder if it's so hard to keep all the games in a series one after another and sorted by release date or order in the series (website also suffers from this);

- failing to install an already downloaded game after the connection to the service briefly went down. What's baffling is that it just started downloading the next game in the queue and didn't automatically reconnect;

- no way to modify download queue or pause downloading;

- hidden games can't be accessed inside galaxy;

- occasional prompts to install/reinstall stuff like VStudio, Physx, Punkbuster;

- no feedback button.

A glorified WebView control. Meh.

What do you think Steam is?

Ok I downloaded it now.

At the moment I'm importing the few games I have installed already from Gog on my new rig and I have to say it seems to take forever on the first step (Checking local files) and it thrashes the heck out of my HDD.

At the end I always get multiple error messages about needing admin rights (thanks for letting me know and the VERY LAST STEP) but after saying ok to them all it seems to work just fine.

I personally have ZERO interest in Achievements or Game Time Tracking.

I'll likely never use Friends and Chat either. (I mostly play single player games on PC and local "couch" coop on consoles)

I'm not sure what Notifications are... notifications of what?

The main thing I want it for is Game Auto-Updating which is grayed out in the settings and says (Coming soon) but it says it's enabled on the individual games so I don't know if it's working or not.

I have over 300 games on Gog.com so some way to organize them would be great as well.  I just got a new PC though so right now it's not too bad because I only have 10 games installed.  I'm really not sure what the best way to organize them would be though and Steam SUCKS at this as well.  I know I do NOT want to manually tag 300+ games so maybe just a set of filters like genre, release date, etc.

- no way to modify download queue or pause downloading;

I don't know if I have a newer version than when you wrote this (titlebar says 0.7.0.860) but you CAN modify the download queue on mine.

In the bottom left corner of the screen there is a little icon with a down arrow in a circle (it's in the screenshots from the OP).

If you click that then it expands the download list and you can drag to rearrange them or click an x to the right to I assume cancel them (didn't actually try personally).

I did reorder them while it was downloading and it went from one to the other and when I put them back it resumed from where it was instead of starting over. I don't see a way to pause ALL downloads though.

I don't know if I have a newer version than when you wrote this (titlebar says 0.7.0.860) but you CAN modify the download queue on mine.

In the bottom left corner of the screen there is a little icon with a down arrow in a circle (it's in the screenshots from the OP).

If you click that then it expands the download list and you can drag to rearrange them or click an x to the right to I assume cancel them (didn't actually try personally).

I did reorder them while it was downloading and it went from one to the other and when I put them back it resumed from where it was instead of starting over. I don't see a way to pause ALL downloads though.

Oh! I saw the download list, but I didn't try dragging stuff around. I'm slowly reading the last pages of the dedicated topic for general info, reported bugs, upcoming features etc. Pausing and limiting bandwidth is not in yet.

Apparently we're not supposed to post screenshots, reviews or impressions (a very polite request):

Please, please, please refrain from posting screenshots, reviews or first impressions, both on our forums or elsewhere, as this is not the final product and many changes will still be made.

Now I guess we can talk about it, rofl.

Source

Direct link for those interested:

GOG Galaxy

:shiftyninja:

it's a nice start that's for sure.

Steam, Origin, Ubi, Battle.Net, Arc, Glyph GoG Galaxy.... I'm sure I missed some... only missing GreenMan gaming now.

so many game downloader/launchers

One thing that peeves me off is that Steam does not support touch input AT ALL.

Does this?

Steam, Origin, Ubi, Battle.Net, Arc, Glyph GoG Galaxy.... I'm sure I missed some... only missing GreenMan gaming now.

so many game downloader/launchers

It better not become mandatory, I hate being forced to install this junk just to play a single player game.

It better not become mandatory, I hate being forced to install this junk just to play a single player game.

you can always buy a game from a brick and mortal shop...if you can find one, that is.

last game i bought that way was StartCraft 1 CE.

you can always buy a game from a brick and mortal shop...if you can find one, that is.

No, you can't. I thought that too when I bought Skyrim in a brick and mortar shop to avoid getting the Steam version. Despite the fact it came on disk it still requires you install Steam to use it. It's not for multiplayer or anything either because Skyrim doesn't have any multiplayer at all.

Yeah!!!!

Not.

I bought Dragon Age Inquisition.  Payed in canadian dollars, close to a hundred! due to exchange rates.   

Cannot run it without running an Origin account - online!.

(i only wanted to play the single player, by the way)

I should have bought a cd-key from some cheaper source.

I have high speed internet.  It would have certainly being faster to install from onlines then from a stupid number of DVDs

also you would not have to be present to physically switch DVDs.

Solid media is DEAD. Online is the only way.  Paid or Pirate.  No one bothers with Physical distributions at ALL.

There is no advantange anymore, since they force you to join the club of online authentication ANYWAY!

it is a dumb decision to go and buy physical media.

unless your internet is 2g phone speeds....

if you still have low speeds, or dialup, and you get the stuff on a disk.  you are a pirate. 

no sane person can legitemately purchase a game and enjoy it nowadays... without high speed internet.

so.   HEY to GOG and indie games.  DRM free method is not the bad, it is good.

I am not going to buy any more Origin games. Yet I will certainly buy more games on GOG, instead of pirating.

Fool me once, shame on you!

• Like 2

I bought Dragon Age Inquisition.  Payed in canadian dollars, close to a hundred! due to exchange rates.   

Cannot run it without running an Origin account - online!.

That's what forced me to console. I REFUSE to install Origin so I got the PS4 version of DA:I because Origin is optional. Now I just have the minor annoyance of when first starting the game I have to cancel the Origin login EVERY TIME but then everything works fine from there on out. Same idea with Diablo III. I refuse to participate in Battle.Net and the PC version is always online so I got the PS4 version. I just cancel the login for battle.net when I launch the game and everything works fine.

It's a shame because I'd rather be a PC gamer but every time a game REQUIRES I log into some service every time I play it forces me to console. Thank goodness Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, and the upcoming Witcher 3 have no such requirements... so I still have plenty of non-Steam PC games to play.

It's a shame because I'd rather be a PC gamer but every time a game REQUIRES I log into some service every time I play it forces me to console. Thank goodness Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, and the upcoming Witcher 3 have no such requirements... so I still have plenty of non-Steam PC games to play.

yeah, most games i play nowadays are either from GOG or something i Kickstarted.

###### origin.  Even steam, i am not so impressed with.  Who GIVES a ###### about the achievements. Why am I trying to prove to other people that I am uber gamer?

I would rather they respect me in real life.  Or play with me in Mortal Kombat or GT or Forza or Mario at home... where I can have a laugh with them! In person.

I want a hassle free single player experience, and I am willing to pay.  I don't want a facebook of gaming!

That's what forced me to console. I REFUSE to install Origin so I got the PS4 version of DA:I because Origin is optional. Now I just have the minor annoyance of when first starting the game I have to cancel the Origin login EVERY TIME but then everything works fine from there on out. Same idea with Diablo III. I refuse to participate in Battle.Net and the PC version is always online so I got the PS4 version. I just cancel the login for battle.net when I launch the game and everything works fine.

That's why I play Nothing passed PS3. PS4 and Xbox One's online integration is a huge turn off for me. I can't enjoy being a PC gamer or a console gamer anymore. It's why my collection of NES, SNES, N64 and Genesis collection is growing quickly. So many great games I never got around to when I was younger and they're just as enjoyable to me now. There is nothing like holding a cartridge of a game in my opinion.

New consoles can get off my Lawn... except perhaps the Wii U.

That's why I play Nothing passed PS3. PS4 and Xbox One's online integration is a huge turn off for me.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I don't play online with my PS4, if you don't want to use online it doesn't force you to or am I missing something? Like I said Diablo 3 for the PS4 doesn't require a connection to anything at all, unlike the PC version which is always online, even when just playing single player. A PS4 should work just fine without ever being connected to the internet. I believe they still put the required firmware updates on the game discs as well so if you have an older version and put a disc in I believe it will upgrade to the firmware it requires without you needing to go online (haven't tested that though).

I don't really mind a console requiring you to login to the console holders network though. My big objection is third parties. Steam isn't my PC platform holder (if anything MS is since Irun windows but really that doesn't apply to PCs since I put the hardware together myself and install the OS... I'm the platform holder, rofl). I don't want to have uPlay, Origin, Steam, Battle.Net, etc. etc. all requiring I log in as I jump from game to game... especially since I don't play online multiplayer.

GOG Galaxy I don't mind because it's not required. Once the game in installed you can exit galaxy and the game runs fine. You can uninstall galaxy and all the games run fine. Everything is optional and you don't need to be logged into anything to play single player games.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I don't play online with my PS4, if you don't want to use online it doesn't force you to or am I missing something?

I'm aware it doesn't force you, it bothers me that when you want to it's behind a paywall. I rather be on a console without internet access at all then a console that wags it in your face but makes you pay for it. It's more a principle thing. I'm aware it probably doesn't make sense to everyone, but it makes perfect sense to me.

That's only one reason of a few. My 2nd big reason is I'm tired of putting in games and installing them, and loading them, and if you're so inclined, updating them. If I want to play Chip N' Dale Rescue Rangers I put the cartridge in and push power and I'm instantly in game ready to throw apples at robotic pit bulls. Granted sometimes I need to blow into the cartridge (I'm aware it makes it worse).

Did I mention "get off my lawn?", I'm getting old, it doesn't always need to make sense.

I'm aware it doesn't force you, it bothers me that when you want to it's behind a paywall. I rather be on a console without internet access at all then a console that wags it in your face but makes you pay for it. It's more a principle thing. I'm aware it probably doesn't make sense to everyone, but it makes perfect sense to me.

Makes perfect sense to me. I totally understand how you feel though because when I explain to people why I don't like Steam they seem totally confused but as you say... it's a principle thing.

That's only one reason of a few. My 2nd big reason is I'm tired of putting in games and installing them, and loading them, and if you're so inclined, updating them.

I do find the whole install thing annoying. I buy most of my PS4 games on disc (more of a collectors thing than anything else) and yet I long ago filled up the HDD. It's annoying to have to shuffle what is installed. I'd GLADLY pay increased load times to have THE OPTION to run games off disc again like on the PS3. I'm cool with being able to CHOOSE to install the game to reduce load times but I'd really like to be able to play a game I don't currently have installed even when I don't have enough room left to fully install it instead of having to try to figure out what I want to take off to make room.

Did I mention "get off my lawn?", I'm getting old, it doesn't always need to make sense.

According to your profile I'm a decade older than you. If you're getting old, I'm already there.

According to your profile I'm a decade older than you. If you're getting old, I'm already there.

I didn't want you to find out this way.

You can set up Origin to not run when the game closes. heck I think with that setting it doesn't even run when the game runs. it just starts then closes, personally I don't care, Origin just runs in the background, no big deal .