HoloLens gaming potential?

The camera that they had on stage was a 4K*2K, and the one in the device is nowhere near that. It will get there eventually, give it some time.

FAAAAAAAAR more important than watching any random person in any random video from any random website, go to Channel 9 and watch an ACTUAL researcher explain how it actually works.

Also these are first gen prototypes not the retail release.   We don't know when they will release their product.  The potential is there it just has a long way to go...But you can say that about any VR headset maker.  

• Like 1

we didn't hear about the narrow POV at the first event though when these were tethered to a PC, which leads me to believe Microsoft wanted to demo it without a PC,and it just isn't optimized yet. it is a prototype afterall. I hear they're using atom chips at the moment.

from, of all tech blogs, TechCrunch

• Like 1

So far, with this thing releasing who knows when, the only knock on it is that narrow POV the demo units have, sounds like a minor issue to me.

I like this tech more than VR, specially for gaming, VR to me is best suited and limited to first person games, I don't only play first person games, nor do I want to only play first person games.   The hololens tech can be used for much more outside of gaming, but even for gaming it'll open up some interesting scenarios.

• Like 1

we didn't hear about the narrow POV at the first event though when these were tethered to a PC, which leads me to believe Microsoft wanted to demo it without a PC,and it just isn't optimized yet. it is a prototype afterall. I hear they're using atom chips at the moment.

from, of all tech blogs, TechCrunch

http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/30/hololens-is-real/#.vivsus:yY7y

Reckon you're right.

I can't remember which review it was now, but one definitely went in to detail about FOV and they reckoned it was pretty good.

• Like 1

I shall devote many hours of prayer to have this product produced at a reasonable cost.

At least we know that MS is more than happy to take significant losses in order to establish a new foothold.

• Like 2

Watches the verge review on apple watch, proceeds to watch verge review on hololens. Proceeds to disregard everything verge has ever released and will ever release.

• Like 2

I believe that a chat with the hololens developers (on Channel9) has a consumer hololens release aiming for ~2 years away. 

The initial release of hololens seems like it will be targeted to developers and corporate dev labs, as well as really interested people in the general public. I would be slightly surprised if they had a international mass-market release this year.

Even without knowing why there is a FOV limitation (computing? optics?), the earlier versions as tried on by media (read the impressions by Peter Bright at Ars) seemed to have better FOV than the current prototype, so I'd wager that the FOV problem won't be much of a problem in the long run. 

• Like 2

Okay we all knew that Hololens was not going to be the future of computing, although I have just contradicted myself on a previous article. But it is the blueprint for the technology to progress and get better with each version that is created and released. All technology has to start somewhere and I understand what she was talking about it not being the future of computing, it is limited to a square box and not actually 360 degrees all around you and that it's actually a lie. But this could be the building blocks and pointing in the right direction and it can only get better or not progress at all because the technology is not quite there yet for perfectly formed holographic images to look realistic and true to life. We are a long way off from this, because until we move away from Moore's Law and start putting semiconductors on crystallized glass which is a lot cooler or more processing power. Current technology is going to be limited to what t he Hololens can produce today.. 

What really impresses on me the most isn't the specs or even the hardware... the vital part of the story is how MS is developing the APIs and plugins for rendering and physics engines so it is easy for devs to drop support in to any of their products without going too far out of their way.

This also feels like part of the next step of the Kinect for Windows platform.

It won't completely revolutionize PC interaction in things like showing a movie on a wall, but it will be a powerful peripheral that answers some questions raised by MS R&D. Augmented reality is far easier and has more application than full 3d headsets (Occulus etc).

• Like 2

I don't think anyone expected this to hit the mass market from the start, it'll be at business/industry/education and probably government/military hands first, probably for the first year it's out.  I expect by v2 they'll have costs down and performance up so that they can target the home consumer.  It's not like there's a rush out there either, no one else is doing AR like this, or close to this now, other companies are gaga over VR it seems.

• Like 1

V3 is gonna be just like v3 of Surface...the mass market one when most of the kinks are ironed out. Just like the iPhone 3G when it really hit mass market appeal. I think the gaming potential of this is still awesome...even with the limited FOV (which is only based on these prototypes).

Nah, this won't go anywhere.

In the gaming space, not for a while. Phil Spencer already made that very clear. It's exactly what George P said in his post, it'll be a tool first and foremost and gaming applications will flow out of that.

Prototypes also vary all the time, so the best thing is to hold off on judgment until the final models arrive.

My idea for hololens and gaming is two fold, it can either be used to play a game in your real world, like say you're playing some card game, the cards and so on will show up on your table, so you don't need your TV screen.    Something like that works really well with this tech, but there's also the other, more hardcore gamer usage that I picture.

Something like, taking a big open world game, say Assassins creed or some MMO etc, I'm always jumping in and out of the world map in these games because the little mini maps they use don't show me enough personally.   It'd be cool if I could see a map, off to the side of the TV screen/monitor as I'm playing, don't have to keep jumping in and out, just look to the left or right of the screen.  

You could do the same with other game UI that would otherwise need you to leave the game and jump into a menu and so on.

Another thing that could work, would be using hololens to do what they thought about doing with illumiroom, extend the game world beyond the screen.  You'd still play looking at the screen but you'd see more of the world around it in your room.

It's very interesting stuff, and the tech works right now, they just need to work on the FOV and expand it.

So what shes saying is theres no peripheral vision, if there was peripheral vision it would be a lot more real..

So what shes saying is theres no peripheral vision, if there was peripheral vision it would be a lot more real..

Basically yes, the FOV in the prototypes they used at BUILD is limited to right in front of you, the sides and top/bottom doesn't show any holograms.  They need to work to expand it more, unless there's some pressing technical limitation to v1 that won't let them do it.