Should people be afraid of doing online banking?

I had a customer who works at a bank tell me recently that it's a really hard sell to get older people to do online banking. Which got me thinking, should the average user be afraid of using their credit cards or doing any sort of online banking using their pc?

I'm referring to x86 machines not iPads or Android devices.

I'm aware of HTTPS and secure website transactions and I'm not talking about that kind of stuff. After working on the average persons PC for the last 13 years, I wonder if they have a reason to worry for the amount of nasties they may have contracted.

Nobody does any updates unless they are done for them. If adobe reader or java popups up and says please update me they have been taught from other people to be afraid of those types of things and not to do them.

People take their computer out of the box and plug them directly internet and start surfing. Installing all 100 windows updates before doing so never crosses their mind. Probably because they are unaware they need to do so.

Not to mention the amount of adware people have. A few years ago I saw A LOT Of rootkits on Windows XP, Vista and 7 machines.

I also get calls from people telling me they got "The phone call from Microsoft" telling them their computer is infected.

99.9999% of those people let the person on the other end of the phone onto their computer. 50% of those give them money.

The average user also uses free Open wifi networks to send sensitive information back and forth. They aren't aware that isn't safe. In fact it just came out that a lot of users were doing their taxes over open wifi access points.

So I'm wondering should these people be afraid of doing finances / stuff with their credit or debit card and bank?

Would you be afraid to sit down in front of an average users computer and enter your credit card number into the computer or do online banking on their machine? I would be.

I have one computer that I use for all online banking/buying which I also use for server configuration, payment details do not touch any of my other computer systems. I wouldn't trust anyone else's computer with my details.

I've personally never had any issues, but I wouldn't do it on open WiFi or any machine I don't trust.  I also wouldn't be considered your "average user".

Many sites also use PayPal now which makes me feel a little better because I don't have to hand out my bank/card info directly to as many sites.

If you're using a Windows PC, you absolutely should be afraid. And this isn't about scaremongering, being anti-Windows or anything like that, it's a matter of practicality. Everyone knows that Windows is the main target of almost all malware, viruses, rootkits, keyloggers, etc. There are zero day exploits reported every other month. It's only logical to avoid doing any financial or important work on it. If you must run Windows, do it from a VM inside Linux where you can simply restore a clean backup VM disk file without interrupting your main system. But for the love of the gods, never, ever, do your banking on Windows period.

I also get calls from people telling me they got "The phone call from Microsoft" telling them their computer is infected.

99.9999% of the people let the person on the other end of the phone onto their computer. 50% of those give them money.

I got an unsolicited call the other day from someone claiming to be from my ISP. It was the usual "We've detected malware/attack on your computer, please go to site X and download this software". Unsurprisingly it came from India (where most of these calls seem to originate). They even knew what ISP I was with, which suggests these Indian call centres are selling our information. Scary indeed.

Of course none of these scams work on me or my family because we all run GNU/Linux and are immune to their scams. Still, we all have to be vigilant against such threats. There's no excuse for complacency or lack of common sense when dealing with random phone calls.

I would never use my credit or debit card on a machine I don't maintain. Heck, I should probably get in the habit of doing my online financial stuff on my Surface RT, since it's harder to get malware on it. (One of the reasons I'm sorry to see RT retired - for a lot of users its actually much safer than traditional Windows.)

I would never log in into online banking on someone elses machine.

Credit card I could not care less.
they will reimburse me if anything.

I change my cc numbers every 6 month to a year... Just in case anyway.

I use my Android tablet for online banking, but I don't mind using my computer for credit card purchases. I would never use someone else's computer, seeing as how the average user's computer is plagued with malware.

If you're using a Windows PC, you absolutely should be afraid. And this isn't about scaremongering, being anti-Windows or anything like that, it's a matter of practicality. Everyone knows that Windows is the main target of almost all malware, viruses, rootkits, keyloggers, etc. There are zero day exploits reported every other month. It's only logical to avoid doing any financial or important work on it. If you must run Windows, do it from a VM inside Linux where you can simply restore a clean backup VM disk file without interrupting your main system. But for the love of the gods, never, ever, do your banking on Windows period.

0b3d3753142667270447055937_700wa_0.gif

But for the love of the gods, never, ever, do your banking on Windows period.

:rolleyes:  sure.  never.  no one ever did any safe online banking on a windows machine.  that would be retarded.  right?

Of course none of these scams work on me or my family because we all run GNU/Linux and are immune to their scams.

Gir+Have+a+Cookie.jpg

why would they be afraid when their cards offer fraud protection?

Definitely this. Yeah it may suck for a while until you can get everything straightened out but at least you can. What you should be scared of is mailing any kind of payment via the snail mail. That is what I call dangerous. I used to do payment processing before I got my official start in IT. Its amazing how a mailed check payment can leave your hand in an envelop and make it to the bank and then while in the bank that check makes it all the way thru the payment center. There are so many machines that it has to go thru at high speed. Its a miracle the check isnt destroyed or stolen or the funds misused from the time you put it in the mailbox. I know there have been times where we cleaned out machines and found old payments that were like 5 years old that were stuck in the machines. I feel sorry for anyone who uses payments in that way. They are just asking for something to happen to their monies.

On someone's PC yes, on my own PC no.  I went "paperless"  a few years back.  All my banking, bill paying, insurance and medical are online.

I've personally never had any issues, but I wouldn't do it on open WiFi or any machine I don't trust.  I also wouldn't be considered your "average user".

Many sites also use PayPal now which makes me feel a little better because I don't have to hand out my bank/card info directly to as many sites.

Same here

why would they be afraid when their cards offer fraud protection?

Who on earth wants the hassle of all that? Then there's identity theft, and a host of other problems, like having your bank log in details stolen.

Then there's identity theft

Getting a security freeze on your credit bureau files solves that quite nicely. When I want to open a new credit account, I thaw my files. Otherwise, no one, not even me, can open up any new accounts while my files are frozen.

Too late for me then.

Oh, and here you go. http://thehackernews.com/2015/02/vulnerable-operating-system.html

• Like 1

LOL  Going a little overboard simplezz

I have no problem,fear, or concern moving money or making purchases on my home computers running win7

• Like 3

LOL  Going a little overboard simplezz

I have no problem,fear, or concern moving money or making purchases on my home computers running win7

i think he was just trolling.  pretty well too.  no one can be that dumb for real.

• Like 2

On someone's PC yes, on my own PC no.  I went "paperless"  a few years back.  All my banking, bill paying, insurance and medical are online.

same here. i do everything online now. plus, it saves tree too!

same here. i do everything online now. plus, it saves tree too!

Me Too. I have a document Scanner. I PDF everything. Off site backups too!