Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo) hires Mike Caviezel (Forza audio lead)

Grant Tour racing isn't only about the P cars you know. 

D class races are a thing, possibly one of the most fun things. while the 2CV and some cars aren't the most exciting to race this is a game, and they can be really fun to race, you don't have to race them just because they're there, they can never play a game that only caters to you. If they did, it wouldn't cater to anyone else. and sometimes even the ones who only race the high end leagues professionally, want to just have some fun and play cat and mouse in 2CV's.

• Like 1

Grant Tour racing isn't only about the P cars you know. 

D class races are a thing, possibly one of the most fun things. while the 2CV and some cars aren't the most exciting to race this is a game, and they can be really fun to race, you don't have to race them just because they're there, they can never play a game that only caters to you. If they did, it wouldn't cater to anyone else. and sometimes even the ones who only race the high end leagues professionally, want to just have some fun and play cat and mouse in 2CV's.

Pretty much this. Lots of people like doing low powered car races (or get giddy when the car they own is in a racing game). There is a reason GT sells so well despite it's shortcomings from the SD era to HD era.

GT5 cracked over 10m sales http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

Good sales does not equate to a good game (see COD AW and BF Hardline). But here is the thing (and this is all in my opinion), Gran Turismo WAS a game that honestly was ahead of its time. Kazunori Yamauchi had/has a dream, a vision. And he pulled it off like no other developer or racing enthusiast has. There isn't another game out there that had the wealth of cars in sheer numbers (including PC). There wasn't another game out there that had the wealth of tracks. Nor was there a game out there that had the attention to detail that Kazunori had with each and every car and track. His vision was replicating these cars as an art form. Why do you think you could take cars to the car wash, or change the oil? He wanted these cars to be pristine. He never wanted cars to be damaged, deformed or maligned. Things like damage and cockpit view came from consumer demand and competition. I honestly think he didn't necessarily want to let cars "get ugly" because of his vision, but he also wanted to listen to the consumer. While the physics in the car have aged, the damage is less than mediocre, and the weather kills the AA and framerate, at least he listened. Not to mention, there is only so much the PS3 is capable of. One has to admit, the premium cars in GT5/GT6 look pretty damn good for a PS3 game.

If you noticed, the game is called a "driving simulator", not a racing simulator. I think they have accomplished that. Where else can you choose from 1000+ cars, NASCAR races, Indy cars, go carts, day to day consumer cars, some damage, some simulation physics, weather, night day, rally, oil changes, wheel support, tracks recreated to within a couple mm, career, online multiplayer, painting, real life contests and academies? And what about concept cars? Add that to the mix too. PD makes a concept car and puts it in game. Combine all that, and there is no other experience like it. There is literally something there for all tastes.

Games like Forza, Project CARS, Race Pro, iRacing etc. have taken more of a racing direction, attempting to recreate the physics of simulation to the next level. Is that my taste? Sure. Is that everyone's taste? No. How many racing games out there sell as many games at GT? I am guessing very few if any. Consumers have spoken, and based on the popularity of GT, clearly it appeals to a broader base, and sells more because of it.

GT has aged, and has been surpassed by others in specific areas. But GT has aged gracefully. I am curious to see where GT7 goes from here.