I got a new job... Yeah

I went for an interview on Thursday with a massive organisation and I thought that I might have flunked the interview. But less that two hours later I received a call and they said that they would like to offer me a position. To which I said yes, and I am so pleased because this means less driving for me, better hours and it's closer to home and not forgetting the the most important aspect of the change was... More money. It's a bit similar than my previous position but more professional and a better working environment. I start next month.  :D

Unfortunately for reasons that I hope you'll understand, I cannot state who this is...?  :huh:

Goodluck on you new job!  :D Bring Pizza on your first salary :rofl: 

Congrats bro! Looks like we both get new jobs! :)

I work for The Computer Merchant now, sub-contracted to CSC (Computer Science Corporation). I can't say who we support, but there is a variety.

My new job, I can't say, similar to your situation.

Mind if I ask what kind of wage? I currently make 42k / year. I work nights (12am - 8am) Tues - Sat.

My new job is 52k / year, 12 hour shifts, and rotating schedule. They give yearly raises, 1$ / year, .50 cent per cert, up to a max of 3 per year I believe.

Congratulations on the new jobs, guys. I have a job interview myself on Monday, and I'm really hoping it goes well because after 9 months of unemployment I'm going mad. :laugh:

Congratulations on the new jobs, guys. I have a job interview myself on Monday, and I'm really hoping it goes well because after 9 months of unemployment I'm going mad. :laugh:

That's long. What's your profession?

I work in IT, Service Desk primarily. Thanks to unemployment benefits in Switzerland though it isn't that bad, I get paid 70% of my previous salary for up to 18 months while I look for other work. That also means I can choose if I want to take a position or not, rather than jumping at the first thing to come along.

But yes, the holiday feeling disappears very quickly despite being looked after.

Here in the US you have to extremely lucky to find a job in 9 months, took me close to two years to get a contract to hire job

@ OP Congrats on the new position!

I work in IT, Service Desk primarily. Thanks to unemployment benefits in Switzerland though it isn't that bad, I get paid 70% of my previous salary for up to 18 months while I look for other work. That also means I can choose if I want to take a position or not, rather than jumping at the first thing to come along.

But yes, the holiday feeling disappears very quickly despite being looked after.

Grats to the OT about getting a job.

Nick 9 months isn't anything. I been looking for work for 15 years, and I am really gone mad..I keep applying to jobs that I should be able to do, but I keep getting rejected, and not even called in for a an interview and, even if I get a interview i am still rejected.IBM had me in for a interview recently, and turned me down even though I worked for them 15 years ago, and I had experience working with them. I tried to applied to the USPS, and they turned me down because I told them after I got hired for the holiday help for temporary seasonal help that I had a personal issue that came up, and the guy that interview me said no, because you turn down the seasonal job from us, we aren't taking you, and yes I know you can do the job because your resume shows me you can.Bottom line 9 months isn't anything compare to 15 years. I live in state that has retail and restaurants which isn't where my best skills are, because I am Hard of Hearing.Plus I can't just leave the state I am in to go to another state. Trust me I would if it was that easy but it cost money to leave to go to another state.

Here in the US you have to extremely lucky to find a job in 9 months, took me close to two years to get a contract to hire job

@ OP Congrats on the new position!

Within the last 10 years I have had to look for a new job 3 times.  Never have I been out of work for more than 3 months.  The shortest  being 2 weeks.  Living in a large metropolitan area, and having a good resume certainly helps, but I dont understand when people say "I cant find anything".  Finding work was easy, it was just a matter of finding that perfect job.  My fiance is a pediatric nurse practioner so we had her salary to rely on, so I wasnt rushed to find something/anything - I only applied to companies that were on "Best places to work for" lists.

ON TOPIC:

Congrats.  I hope this job is great for you.  There is few things worse in life than hating your job.  And when you love what you do, you never work a day in your life.

I have been with Omnitracs (large software company for trucking industry) for 3 months now and absolutely love working there.)  I hope you are as lucky as me.

As for others who are looking - be sure to look @ Glassdoor - you may not want to waste your time w/ some companies and it will let you focus on the companies you want to work for.

Grats to the OT about getting a job.

Nick 9 months isn't anything. I been looking for work for 15 years, and I am really gone mad..I keep applying to jobs that I should be able to do, but I keep getting rejected, and not even called in for a an interview and, even if I get a interview i am still rejected.IBM had me in for a interview recently, and turned me down even though I worked for them 15 years ago, and I had experience working with them. I tried to applied to the USPS, and they turned me down because I told them after I got hired for the holiday help for temporary seasonal help that I had a personal issue that came up, and the guy that interview me said no, because you turn down the seasonal job from us, we aren't taking you, and yes I know you can do the job because your resume shows me you can.Bottom line 9 months isn't anything compare to 15 years. I live in state that has retail and restaurants which isn't where my best skills are, because I am Hard of Hearing.Plus I can't just leave the state I am in to go to another state. Trust me I would if it was that easy but it cost money to leave to go to another state.

15 years ?!?!  :huh:  WTF ?  If you're in IT - there is another factor you aren't mentioning - or you put on your resume that you like to eat babies and club puppies.

Nick 9 months isn't anything. I been looking for work for 15 years...

15 years?! I would be homeless and maybe even dead if that amount of time had passed. Without getting personal, could age also be a factor in the hiring process for you now? I know a couple of people who were laid off not too long ago, but because they were close to retirement age anyway no company wanted to hire them - they didn't see the point in getting a "temporary" replacement.

Other than that, I'm staggered that there are people in that situation. A quick Google has shown me other examples of people that have been out of work for 10 years, but they've been able to survive because of investments they made years ago that gave them the funds to continue.

Unfortunately for reasons that I hope you'll understand, I cannot state who this is...?  :huh:

33034039.jpg

• Like 2

Any hints? 

Either it requires a Secret Clearance, like my job does, or he's a contractor or sub contractor that signed a confidentiality agreement.

Curiosity is a b*****, isn't it?

Either it requires a Secret Clearance, like my job does, or he's a contractor or sub contractor that signed a confidentiality agreement.

Curiosity is a b*****, isn't it?

Not really.. if it's not important enough for him to tell us.. it's not important enough for us to use brain space on.