Need Buying Advice. iPhone 5s 32GB

So Im intending to buy a iphone 5s 32GB that is locked to Telus (canada) and the seller says it is brand new. So, I just want to cover my bases to make sure that I won't get screwed. I'll be meeting him in person as we had made the arrangement via kijiji.ca

I asked for the IMEI and SN of the device so that I can look it up on

icloud.com/activationlock

protectyourdata.ca

But I'm worried and been hearing stories about how the phone would work and then a month later the phone would be blacklisted and reported stolen. I've read up that it is due to people filing insurance claims and then reporting the phone stolen. So I'm intending to write up a bill of sale for the device with all the relevant information of the person and of the device to protect myself and himself from any inconsistencies. Is that a good plan of action? I'm also planing that when I recieve the IMEI and SN of the device to actually call telus and to determine that the device is still in good standing order as well in terms if the device is paid or if there are any inconsistencies.

Any other words of advice would be awesome. Thanks :)

First and foremost, get a receipt, (hell, ask to see the seller's receipt from where they got it too, to make sure it is in fact legitimate)

Secondly, buy it in front of an impartial eyewitness (if you're lucky, ask a nearby cop, or someone similar with no relation to either party) (overkill? yes it is)

That way, if the seller does indeed try to screw you over, you can turn the tables as you bought it as a legitimate second hand purchase.

And yes, for the most part, your own suggestion would be a great idea

• 1 month later...

Insurance companies ask for an original receipt as a proof of purchase. If he sells you the phone, you should also take it's original purchase receipt.

So chances of insurance fraud and subsequent IMEI blacklisting gets substantially reduced.