Office 2016 Public Preview now available

Office 2016 Public Preview now available

Over the last 12 months, we

What version of office is the preview?  I'm currently running 16.0.3930.1008 from the enterprise preview and am wondering if this is an update.

What version of office is the preview?  I'm currently running 16.0.3930.1008 from the enterprise preview and am wondering if this is an update.

I installed the Office 2016 Home Premium preview just now. Version number is also 16.0.3930.1008.

Offline installers?

Not available as far as I can see.

Thought so.

Let's see when it's available.

You could just use the online installer...

I installed the Office 2016 Home Premium preview just now. Version number is also 16.0.3930.1008.

Thanks

Thought so.

Let's see when it's available.

Probably never. Office 2013+ is based on Click-To-Run, even the 2gb version is sort of click-to-run version, thus making waiting for an offline installer irrelevant. You'll get the same thing anyway unless you go after the Enterprise version.

Not available as far as I can see.

And unless the target computer never goes online, it is irrelevant. (Worse, the biggest driver of Office requires online connectivity - Outlook; so how much does a traditional installer matter?)  There is NO functional difference between traditional and C2R versions - none at all.

Probably never. Office 2013+ is based on Click-To-Run, even the 2gb version is sort of click-to-run version, thus making waiting for an offline installer irrelevant. You'll get the same thing anyway unless you go after the Enterprise version.

EVEN if you go after the Enterprise version - a C2R version there is, in fact, the default.

C2R has been thoroughly shaken down, folks - in fact, Microsoft products have been using it for years.  (So far, the ONLY product that hasn't used it yet has been Windows Server.)

The only thing keeping traditional ISOs around are entirely-offline installs.

You can do entirely offline installs through click to run, Its needlessly complicated and fiddly messing with the command prompt but it can be done.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219423.aspx

You can do entirely offline installs through click to run, Its needlessly complicated and fiddly messing with the command prompt but it can be done.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219423.aspx

True.

However, from having done both sorts of installs (and looking for any functional differences between them - and coming up dry), I have to seriously wonder how long the traditional install has left.

Will it work on Windows 7?

Most people i know use office in machines that are offline or have a very limited connectivity or bandwidth caps.

Plus an offline installer helps saves bandwidth for many people & easy to Do re-install or share.

Most people i know use office in machines that are offline or have a very limited connectivity or bandwidth caps.

Plus an offline installer helps saves bandwidth for many people & easy to Do re-install or share.

And that is, in fact, the last frontier for traditional installs.

However, you can reduce your external visibility as a company while still having lots of intranet bandwidth - which means you can still use C2R internally (remember, network-based installs are the immediate predecessor to C2R) or are you thinking of SMBs?