Is it only tourists that wear boat shoes?

Forget the guard, also tell him to mind his manners. 

You can wear whatever shoes you damn well please, whatever is comfortable or that you feel good in. It's some guard of a buildings job to tell you what you do or don't look like.

I've actually no idea what you mean by boat shoes though.

Forget the guard, also tell him to mind his manners. 

You can wear whatever shoes you damn well please, whatever is comfortable or that you feel good in. It's some guard of a buildings job to tell you what you do or don't look like.

I've actually no idea what you mean by boat shoes though.

These are boat shoes....

ao_classicbrown_mens__47774_zoom.jpg

People do look like kinda a tool for wearing those shoes around and without socks.

interesting....i think i look very good when i wear mine.  Know plenty of people where i live that use them/ have them.   To bitch and moan about clothing styles is a argument that has no one coming on top, its taste, and taste should not be judge, as we ALL have our own ideas about beauty, styles, etc.

• Like 1

I guess local lingo is vastly different. Where I come from, boat shoes are the soft soled shoes that are non mar construction to prevent skid marks on your boats gel coat. Here, they can have soft cloth uppers but usually rubber so it doesn't matter when you jump in the water. I guess the guy meant anything he was not used to seeing means you are from somewhere else....then again, who cares what people think, wear what you got if you like them...Cheers... :)  

yeah, because security guards are known for thier fasion sense.  :rolleyes:

this shoes are fine by themselves. totally!

but shoes have to look reasonalbe with whatever else you are wearing though. 

there is fashion, and then there is style.       fashion is fleeting, style is eternal.        as i said above,   it is what you wear with those shoes that matters :)

I was wearing them with shorts. It's not the first time that guard saw me in shorts. He had to have commented on the boat shoes itself.

I was wearing them with shorts. It's not the first time that guard saw me in shorts. He had to have commented on the boat shoes itself.

Just a light joke nothing to get all self conscious about it

If those are "boat shoes," I would not kick you out of the office for wearing them (suit situations excepted.)

I wear them all the time. Nothing wrong with them at all.

I like them because they're cheap.

I am going to NYC in a few weeks. So there will be a tourist there wearing them :laugh:

• Like 1

I wear them all the time. Nothing wrong with them at all.

I like them because they're cheap.

I am going to NYC in a few weeks. So there will be a tourist there wearing them :laugh:

sperry topsider is not exactly a cheap brand ;)

they are also far from the best looking or practical boat shoes.

this shoe looks like a regualar loafer.

i boat.  this is the shoe i LOVE.  super fast drying and super lightweight. 

post-3891-0-74327000-1430855741.png

I had no idea what a "boat shoe" was until this thread.... never heard that term before myself

Same here. I've been on a few boats myself and I just wore regular sneakers.

I wear them almost exclusively as they are very comfortable.

That being said... I wouldn't wear any shoes without socks. That to me just sounds nasty. Especially in hot weather where you're more likely to sweat and end up having bacteria growth in your shoes as a result. Leading to stinky shoes....

These are boat shoes....

These are boat shoes....

OMG, I wouldn't be caught dead in those!