Well I just purchased a Wii U, its on the way and I have a few questions. Are you able to purchased another of the LCD Gamepads? I searched around Google, but did not find much. If you are not supposed to purchased another gamepad, what controller do you recommend purchasing? So far, I have looked at, the Nintendo Pro Controller and it looks as if the Wii Controllers work as well?

The Wii U came with Nintendo Land and Super Mario 3D World. I have also just placed an order for Mario Kart 8, along with two racing wheels, Mario Party 10, and Supe Smash Bros. Any other highly recommended games?

No you cant order another one there is only one with the system.  and you should not have to as it is very reliable the Wii U gamepad  just use the Wii U gamepad it is very comfortable to use and  many games take advantage of it 

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, New Super Mario Bros. U, Windwaker, & maybe ZombieU if you can find it cheap.

• Like 2

On top of compl3x's suggestions I would also recommend looking into Game & Wario (if you can find it cheap, it is a really fun mini game collection that uses the Gamepad in innovate ways), Hyrule Warriors (if you are into hack and slash types of games or like Zelda/Warriors games), Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends (one of the best 2D platformers in a very long time; even if you do not get it for Wii U I highly recommend you still check it out on other platforms), and potentially Wonderful 101.

If you plan on getting hack and slash (Bayonetta 2, HyruleWarriors) and/or fighting games (Smash Bros, Tekken Tag Tournament 2) for the system, then I would highly recommend that you purchase a Wii U Pro Controller, because I have found it to be more comfortable for these types of games and more importantly you probably do not want to button mash on the fairly expensive Gamepad (it is durable and all, but this is just to be on the safe side).

As for controller choice, I would go with the Wii U Pro Controller (and potentially Wii Remote + Nunchuck if you want to play Wii games or games like Pikmin 3); the one limitation with this controller is that you cannot use it in place of a Wii Classic Controller or Wii Classic Controller Pro if you want to play games in Wii mode (unless you purchase the digital Wii game from the Wii U eShop) . Unless you want to play older Wii games, I would not go with the Wii Classic Controller because it is missing clickable analogue sticks and it does not have rumble. Also, you cannot, at this time, get or use a second Wii U Gamepad (the controller with the LCD screen).

Splatoon demo is available today, but you can only play it for 1 hour at a time, at 3 set times today, and that's your lot. Think they are testing the online mode.

UK times are:

04:00-5:00

12:00-13:00

20:00-21:00

As for controllers. depending on the games you you're going to be playing and if you're playing multiplayer you will actually NEED all of these

Tablet controller

Pro controller

Classic controller 

Wii (nunchuck) controller)

I think there was another one was well. it's kind of ridiculous, in reality you can probably get away with just the tablet and a pro controller though, in most cases. 

Also two racing wheels? why? it's the most horrible way to play the game. just use the pad or a pro controller.

• Like 3

I purchased a Wii U two weeks ago, and I'm loving so far.  I got it refurbished from the Nintendo Store.  It came with Nintendoland, and I also got New Super Mario Bros U + Luigi U.  I was able to snag Super Smash Bros U for about $31 from NewEgg.  I then got a refurbished Mario Kart 8 bundle that includes the steering wheel and the Wii Remote Plus.  I didn't want the wheel but I did want the remote and it seemed like a good deal.

Very fun games!  My previous console, an Xbox 360 was just collecting dust, but I don't feel like that's going to be the issue with this console.  We'll see.  I'm pretty much doing the PC gaming + Wi U combo.  I get everything I can on Steam, and then the first party Wii U games.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the information and tips guys! @HawkMan man you were right, those racing wheels are pretty terrible, I returned them right away. I ended up getting two pro controllers and 4 of the wii controllers. I did not know at the time, Mario Party will only work with the Wii controllers, so I returned those racing wheel style controllers and picked up the four wii controllers so my friends can play Mario Party.

So far I have spent most of my time playing Mario Kart, Mario Party and some SSB. I played through some of the Super Mario 3D Land and it was awesome.