Xbox One will reportedly include TV DVR feature soon

Microsoft might be killing off Media Center in Windows 10, but the company is reportedly bringing one of its key features over to the Xbox One. Paul Thurrott reports that a TV recording solution for the Xbox One is coming soon, and most likely this year. Microsoft currently supports TV tuners in Europe and North America on its Xbox One console, but there's only live TV pausing and not full DVR capabilities.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/6/8559043/microsoft-xbox-one-tv-dvr-feature-rumor

It does make a lot of sense. With tuners available or shortly available in both the US and Europe markets, it's the next logical step. It'll probably also mean an Xbox with a larger HDD too. 

It does make a lot of sense. With tuners available or shortly available in both the US and Europe markets, it's the next logical step. It'll probably also mean an Xbox with a larger HDD too. 

I think we all expect a larger hdd option soon, but if they can also have you record to a external like you can save games, then that cuts down the need to keep pushing out bigger internal drives.

Still, I expect a 1TB SKU to become the new $399 option soon.

I think we all expect a larger hdd option soon, but if they can also have you record to a external like you can save games, then that cuts down the need to keep pushing out bigger internal drives.

Still, I expect a 1TB SKU to become the new $399 option soon.

I'd hope that would be an option, it would really screw over those early adopters :p

Microsoft might be killing off Media Center in Windows 10, but the company is reportedly bringing one of its key features over to the Xbox One. Paul Thurrott reports that a TV recording solution for the Xbox One is coming soon, and most likely this year. Microsoft currently supports TV tuners in Europe and North America on its Xbox One console, but there's only live TV pausing and not full DVR capabilities.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/6/8559043/microsoft-xbox-one-tv-dvr-feature-rumor

I'm assuming this is just for their Tuner attachment, which is just for FTA channels anyway. as there's a whole legal licensing hornets nest they'd be poking if they allowed you to DVR from your tuner connected to HDMI. 

So they waited until they definitively killed off WMC to announce this? Hmmm.

Well, it does make sense in Microsoft's vision that the Xbox were to replace the HTPC at the center of the living room, but it would need Cablecard and different encryption standards support with USB tuners to fully replace it.

Don't see this working in tandem with a game running in the background either though, maybe a snappable one.

So they waited until they definitively killed off WMC to announce this? Hmmm.

Well, it does make sense in Microsoft's vision that the Xbox were to replace the HTPC at the center of the living room, but it would need Cablecard and different encryption standards support with USB tuners to fully replace it.

Don't see this working in tandem with a game running in the background either though, maybe a snappable one.

I don't think recording TV while playing a game will have a effect, it's why they keep 1 CPU core and some RAM locked away from games, to use for these types of background tasks.    If you can record gameplay with the GameDVR option without any noticeable effect on your game I believe live TV will be no different.

At the most I think load times might be a bit longer if the same drive is being written to as you're game is reading from it to load the next level.

***DELETED***

UK

US

I guess didn't delete out my post fast enough...

• Like 1

I don't think recording TV while playing a game will have a effect, it's why they keep 1 CPU core and some RAM locked away from games, to use for these types of background tasks.    If you can record gameplay with the GameDVR option without any noticeable effect on your game I believe live TV will be no different.

At the most I think load times might be a bit longer if the same drive is being written to as you're game is reading from it to load the next level.

Oh, it will have an effect alright, because the hard drive will be continuously in use while recording and the Xbox One has a 5400rpm drive. The GameDVR is limited to 300 seconds because it fits inside the reserved memory space and I'm assuming that will not be the case with this because there needs to be a buffer dump at some point.

Oh, it will have an effect alright, because the hard drive will be continuously in use while recording and the Xbox One has a 5400rpm drive. The GameDVR is limited to 300 seconds because it fits inside the reserved memory space.

FYI, the HDD is ALWAYS running and recording on the Xbox one.

So they would just disable timeshifting during gameplay. 

This is the remaining feature i've been waiting for. I replaced my YouView box with the XB1 TV tuner as soon as i could, and the only thing i miss is a DVR ability.

They may have to release a dual XB1 TV tuner though as the current one is a single tuner and no good for recording TV whilst watching something else.

FYI, the HDD is ALWAYS running and recording on the Xbox one.

So they would just disable timeshifting during gameplay. 

AFAIK it's in RAM, not on the HDD, otherwise the 5 minute limit doesn't make sense (or at least not having an option to reserve larger space).

AFAIK it's in RAM, not on the HDD, otherwise the 5 minute limit doesn't make sense (or at least not having an option to reserve larger space).

ummm no it's not in ram. notice how doing the record this command doesn't suddenly causes a HDD spike or anything. 

I still find it strange that MS would limit it to 5 minutes when the competitor allows 15 if it were not for such a limitation. The PS4 actually has a separate memory pool for that function.