Is AntiVirus Really Necessary on Android?

It is simple:

Have kids? Do the kids are going to use your phone sometimes?

the answer is: Yes, mandatory.

at least you train them about how to use the store and all that stuff

I believe you can setup profiles and limit apps from being installed and what apps are available.  A responsible adult would do that for all devices, android, apple, MS....

Once again, the issue is not the performance or quality of the advertized features of the software... It's from a Chinese company! Assume it's freaking back doored!

No one said anything about performance or quality, myself included. My issue with your comment is the same as your issue with my choice - you're making a comment based on the origin of the software, your issue with my choice is the country of origin without providing any reason other than, "it's from China, don't trust that!"

We'll agree to disagree, as neither of us has any other argument to make on the subject so far.

I believe you can setup profiles and limit apps from being installed and what apps are available.  A responsible adult would do that for all devices, android, apple, MS....

Any guide about how to do it, is always welcome.

Thanks

Know what? Forget it.

Any guide about how to do it, is always welcome.

Thanks

I believe Android 4.3 - 4.4 were for Tablets only. I believe there are 3rd party apps that can be installed for phones tho I never used any.

http://www.howtogeek.com/170191/share-your-android-tablet-and-keep-your-privacy-with-a-guest-account/

Starting with Android 5.0, it was for tablet and phone.

http://www.howtogeek.com/205301/how-to-use-android-5-lollipops-restricted-user-profiles-for-basic-parental-controls/

Nope it's not something i've ever considered for a phone. The biggest threat you have are apps that request loads of permissions they don't need (these free games are great at doing this) then upload all your contacts / data / location history to a remote server without you been aware.

No antivirus is going to stop apps from doing that, legit apps such as Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and even the Google Apps on your phone already do this to various degrees.

I'd say your biggest threat on your phone is more what the apps you trust do with your data, not rouge apps. Let's be honest we have seen how bad security can be with all the high profile hacks over the last couple of years.

The Moonpig mobile app vulnerability is a great recent example of a company / app you would probably trust, however could't really be bothered to fix major flaws with their apps, despite been aware of it for 17 months.

Hello,

As usual, the question (and the answer) is a bit more complex than a simple "yes or no" answer. 

There are two things you need to understand about the Android ecosystem.

In the case of the former, there are some malicious programs out there for Android

I don't quite understand how people mess up their computers so badly these days. Back in the XP days sure but now it is pretty damn hard.

There is only 1 thing more dangerous to a PC's integrity than a novice user, and that's a novice user who thinks he's an expert after reading some tech website.

Phone ?  no need

PC - Use webroot Secure Anywhere -

Problems Solved, end of thread.

Please deposit money into my PayPal acct.

I would more say 'iOS or Windows Phone?  No need.'

and 'PC - use someone the major testing suites have actually checked in the last three years instead of Webroot'

heh :)

Last I checked half the Android AVs didn't even catch the threats it does have.

I would more say 'iOS or Windows Phone?  No need.'

and 'PC - use someone the major testing suites have actually checked in the last three years instead of Webroot'

heh :)

Last I checked half the Android AVs didn't even catch the threats it does have.

Well the reason Webroot SA isnt in many AV comparisons is because it is different - its cloud based, and the engine is as well.  I can tell you, the non-biased review websites rate SA one of the best, if not the best when it is included.  But I dont put much faith in the review websites - so many who claim to be legit - are obviously compensated in some way from certain companies.  So many would regularly say MSE was great - when anyone in the biz knew it was the biggest pile of crap since McAfee.

I have mentioned a few times in here how impressed I have been in the last 3 years with it - an awesome track record IMO -

Sorry for derailing thread -

Well the reason Webroot SA isnt in many AV comparisons is because it is different - its cloud based, and the engine is as well.

Pretty much every major AV manufacturer uses cloud scanning as well last I checked.  Not a terribly useful selling point.

Anyway back on topic - I'll be less critical of Android if they manage to not have 6-12 month old handsets with vulnerabilities that will never be patched.  I'm not saying it's overall untrustworthy, I just find that unacceptable.  I don't know that I would need an AV on an up to date version, but I'd definitely use one otherwise.

This is interesting, cause i was a andriod user (S3/s4/htc one) and i was always worried about what i was downloading from the google store. I never had this issue with apple store. What is the state for the google store and is it safe. I know apple goes though each app to make sure there are no malware, but its not 100% but is close. Google Store mmmm i dont know.