DX11 vs DX12 - does it matter ?

It certainly will. DX12 will improve performance for DX10/11 cards, but DX12 native cards will do better. We still have a few months to worry about that, though.

• Like 2

It certainly will. DX12 will improve performance for DX10/11 cards, but DX12 native cards will do better. We still have a few months to worry about that, though.

The same was true for DX11, so that's not news there.  The fortunate thing there is that there isn't an intervening DX in between, so there isn't that *hole* there was with DX10.

does it matter whether a card is DX11 or 12 capable ? Thanks for your help.. 

To some degree yes.  Some DX11 cards will not support DX12 from what I know, and feature levels may change performance as well.

I'm guessing it won't make a big difference for a long time.

I disagree, with the free upgrade to Windows 10, I see DX12 being adopted quite fast when compared to previous versions and the more efficient use of the PC will widen the gap with the consoles, which is already the widest it's ever been, but in Microsoft's ecosystem will allow easy portability with the Xbox One and subsequent models, which now have Windows at their core.

Things like conservative rasterization will require new GPUs to be done more efficiently in hardware. 

does it matter whether a card is DX11 or 12 capable ? Thanks for your help.. 

Depends which card you have. Most of the newer ones are DX12-compatible to some degree.

DX11 cards will vary in support for DX12 features but most will support DX12 in some way, you have to remember that DX12 is what DX11 should have been if card manufaturers were ready for it - they weren't so MS had to pull certain features (plus its also grown from what it was).

DX12 will require new game engines to take advantage of the new code and access to the metal though, so don't expect major jumps on current games unless they are patched at the engine level.

As with any new architecture it will take a while before we see what the best can be had from DX12 (as the engines need updating - new engines like unity and unreal engine do support it) and also drivers will needs to be updated, but I think the performance we will see will be more than your standard DX upgrade shift.,

Yeah, but DX12 isn't a direct superset of DX11, it's the reason why DX11 got new features with 11.3. DX12 is essentially a new API that shares API calls with older versions.

Looking at certain benchmarks, the performance enhancements will be quite beneficial indeed.

I'm not sure about AMD cards (I assume support will be similar to Mantle there), but Nvidia will support DX12 on cards dating back to the Fermi architecture (Which was released in 2010, any cards older than that would be too outdated to benefit anyway)

Dont forget  DX12  improves CPU efficiency in how  Threads are managed so  games even current games will and or should run better  because  DX12 will manage threading better  

• Like 2

This is one of the few times that older cards (DX11) will benefit from a new version of DirectX (DX12). As long as the game is optimised for DX12 there should be a noticeable benefit.

Depends which card you have. Most of the newer ones are DX12-compatible to some degree.

I am just deciding if I should get something like the GTX960 or a 740 ... 

Why overspend on a card that will be useless in the long run. 

Will be a massive "update", more so for people with weak CPU's and powerful GPU's.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8962/the-directx-12-performance-preview-amd-nvidia-star-swarm

Mantle is amazing for my rig in BF 4:

Single player with max settings except no AA (using 150% res. scale though) at 2560x1080 on my rig as specced in sig:

DX

gL8pec9.png

Mantle

7wN0BYL.png

That minimum FPS figure for mantle is wrong though, I never seen the FPS hit that low during that run, not sure why it reports the wrong minimum FPS figure.

With Battlefield Hardline, the overall FPS difference isn't as big but the minimum FPS is quite a bit higher. Everything on MAX, res scale 100%, FOV 85 and a run around the dust bowl map on an empty server with a ping of about 30-40:

mantle

KbZdvcQ.png

DX

VWWUZF4.png

Mantle just feels so much smoother from my experience, I love it! DX 12 will provide the same experience.

But yeah, unfortunately it will be down to the game engines and developers to implement DX 12 properly so we probably won't see it being the norm for quite a while :(

It depends on what you currently have and how long you think you can keep using it. Personally I'd wait for a full feature set DX12 card, which are probably the AMD GCN 1.2 cards and Nvidia Pascal.

But yeah, unfortunately it will be down to the game engines and developers to implement DX 12 properly so we probably won't see it being the norm for quite a while :(

EAs Mantle games are being updated to Vulkan and Valve is going to apparently be supporting Vulkan, meanwhile Stardock has already announced DX12 games and there's buzz around from devs who haven't even gotten dx11 clients up.  Looks like things will be changing quicker than you'd expect given the last eight years, what that means for the general market I couldn't say though.

• Like 1

I think so too, simply because it all fits nicely in the new Windows ecosystem of which the Xbox is now a part of. It suits MS to drive adoption for this.

go with the  GTX 960  4GB card for sure as they support DX12     as it supports it as well as latest  OpenGL    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-960/specifications

GTX 960 Technology Support:
Yes (2-way)NVIDIA SLI

DX12 is going to be supported by UE4 and Unity, it actually already is.  So that's a large set of games coming in the future, heck this holiday, plus the Xbox One.   There's no reason to not code for DX12 right away, specially how they're making it a free upgrade and gamers always like to have the newest software and hardware to boost their gaming performance.  The steam stats should show quick uptake in Windows 10, and right now 50% of steam users have a GPU that supports DX12.

• Like 1

Both will support it

Both will support it

Correct, but it's not full DX12. There are still a couple of TBA features that will require new hardware to be considered Full Feature DX12.

MS has been tightlipped about those until now though.

I wouldn't be surprised if those features will still be available on current cards, probably just in a less efficient way that eats into GPU time.

Correct, but it's not full DX12. There are still a couple of TBA features that will require new hardware to be considered Full Feature DX12.

MS has been tightlipped about those until now though.

I wouldn't be surprised if those features will still be available on current cards, probably just in a less efficient way that eats into GPU time.

Nvidia said maxwell 1.0 and 2.0 will be fully featured while Kepler the 6xx will only partially cover it.

Nvidia said maxwell 1.0 and 2.0 will be fully featured while Kepler the 6xx will only partially cover it.

I know, but it was MS that still said that after nvidia first announced their DX12 compatibility. I don't think it will matter much though, just a few things that run less efficient.