DX11 vs DX12 - does it matter ?

Anything Maxwell supports DX12 out of the box - not JUST GTX9xx; have we forgotten about GTX75x (original Maxwell/Baby Maxwell)?

GTX75x got two dings against it - no SLI support, and no loadout greater than 2 GB.  However, it is an energy sipper of excellence that is in a 2 GB "silent/fanless" configuration - that requires no extra power.  Finally, it's about $100USD.

And it's less powerful than a 660 so why bother.

First let's make sure it is really a hardware problem and not software?

FYI did you uninstall the previous drivers first?

Open cmd prompt and right mouse button click "run as administrator" and then type c:\sfc /scannow? Tell me what it says?

a card that supports DX11 should also support DX12 if I read things correctly. it's an API change that lets programmers get closer to the hardware.

Anything Maxwell supports DX12 out of the box - not JUST GTX9xx; have we forgotten about GTX75x (original Maxwell/Baby Maxwell)?

GTX75x got two dings against it - no SLI support, and no loadout greater than 2 GB.  However, it is an energy sipper of excellence that is in a 2 GB "silent/fanless" configuration - that requires no extra power.  Finally, it's about $100USD.

First gen Maxwell supports DX12 the same way the pre-Maxwell DX11 cards do, just at the API level.

Second gen Maxwell (i.e. the GTX 9xx) supports the new features.

Yeah, Mantle was actually useful for something, GCN was basically designed to be a DX12 core before DX12 was a thing, while Nvidia now has to adapt their design to work with DX12 (And has been mostly done with Gen. 2 Maxwell)

aAqqZYo.png

Finally a useful table that states what is and what isn't working. Saw it in a Eurogamer article a while ago and couldn't find it anymore.

Finally a useful table that states what is and what isn't working. Saw it in a Eurogamer article a while ago and couldn't find it anymore.

Don't get too excited. An intern at AMD probably ticked those cells. "Hey Jerry, do we support Tiled Texture 3D?!" - "Sure we do kid, sure we do"

What is and isn't working we will see if AMD manages to finish some stable DX12 drivers for RTM.

• Like 1

Don't get too excited. An intern at AMD probably ticked those cells. "Hey Jerry, do we support Tiled Texture 3D?!" - "Sure we do kid, sure we do"

What is and isn't working we will see if AMD manages to finish some stable DX12 drivers for RTM.

:D, yeah could be. Honestly with all the back and forthing and even MS contradicting things sometimes, it's better to just wait on official word when everything is finalized.

YAY! According to that my 290X already supports tier 3. :D

Just want to be clear that Binding Tier is not the feature levels of DX12, it's just a range for a single required feature.  A graphics card could support Binding Tier 3 and still only qualify for DX12 feature level 11_0 (the lowest) because it lacks other required features of higher feature levels.

In fact DX12 feature level 12_1 (the highest) only REQUIRES Resource Binding Tier 2 support.  This is why Maxwell (v2) is DX12 feature level 12_1 compliant and I don't believe any AMD chipset is despite higher binding tier support.

GCN 1.0 cards I believe only support feature level 11_1 (the second of 4).  While they excel at Binding Tier support they are missing required features for higher feature levels.

GCN 1.1. cards I believe support feature level 12_0 (the third of 4).

• Like 1

even thought my nvidia 770m is DX11, I'll see inprovements from within the stack. I just won't get to enjoy the dx12 eye candy. the dx 12 stack is a major improvment since past interations. even the dx 11 vs dx 12 demo back in jan showed dx 11 locked up. So I'm pleasently surprised at the future of gaming

well this explains why (Directx12 API..) :p PCI express 2.0 and 3.0. my cpu is a 4th gen haswell...  I suppose my pci-e is 3.0 too

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-770m/specifications