John Riccitiello: "Sony ******** nailed it, and they deserve the victory"

Makes me wonder when the next generation of consoles will arrive. External GPUs could be a fun idea but also unrealistic with consoles.

In MS' case it won't be a next generation, it just will be another performance tier since their architecture and development software is now so PC like, it wouldn't make sense to do otherwise. That's why I said it earlier that such a thing could happen sooner rather than later.

These consoles weren't designed to have the lifespan of ps3 or 360 and even though we on the forums bash their capabilities as already being on the limits, most consumers who aren't on forums like this  either a) don't give a damn or b) don't understand so these consoles will keep selling as is for quite some time but I think we'll see a new iteration quicker than we have previously.  MS is also good at playing the long game, I think next iteration combined with all the unification they are doing is going to put them in very good stead.

That's the thing isn't it. Sony's selling on inflated hype.

IMO nailing would be running other consoles out of business.

I'd argue that's more down to bad decisions made by the company forcing themselves out of the console hardware business. E.g. SEGA, Atari

I'd argue that's more down to bad decisions made by the company forcing themselves out of the console hardware business. E.g. SEGA, Atari

It goes both ways. History is told from the viewpoint of the victors ;). It's the same thing now, nearly everything in the gaming news is positively biased towards PlayStation because they are in the lead, but that can change in an instant, whether it is because of a mistake on their part or a competitor suddenly makes a move that makes their product not worthwile anymore. In the gaming scene, things can change really fast.

Why is anyone putting stock in what Riccitiello is saying? Last time I heard his name he was running out of EA after the complete cluster **** release of SimCity, everyone who had purchased and wanted to play the game were calling for his head on a pike!

• Like 1

It goes both ways. History is told from the viewpoint of the victors ;). It's the same thing now, nearly everything in the gaming news is positively biased towards PlayStation because they are in the lead, but that can change in an instant, whether it is because of a mistake on their part or a competitor suddenly makes a move that makes their product not worthwile anymore. In the gaming scene, things can change really fast.

Not convinced. A company only really loses when they stop producing a new offering (or more specifically, when their platform games stop getting listed on retail channels).

Not convinced. A company only really loses when they stop producing a new offering (or more specifically, when their platform games stop getting listed on retail channels).

That's why we are saying MS hasn't really lost anything. They're just selling less than their competitor.

Sony may have won the battle but lost the war.   Especially if Microsoft vision with Windows 10 comes close to reality.  

That could be, certainly if MS starts tiering their consoles, suddenly has more powerful models than their competitor and can get many PC software developers on board in developing for the Xbox gaming ecosystem within Windows that spans multiple platforms.

That was always the biggest concern that I saw. Even prior to the launch it was clear that the consoles were going to be running on mobile GPUs which would barely allow for 1080p.

Naturally this has some advantages for the PC crowd as games will always work more or less without needing to invest into the newest GPUs. Unless you are playing Star Citizen ...

Makes me wonder when the next generation of consoles will arrive. External GPUs could be a fun idea but also unrealistic with consoles.

i think this is the biggest opportunity for nintendo to jump into the top gaming console market. 

sony and MS will not update for a few years, they are too invested in the consoles.  

if nintendo releases a console next year they can possibly have machine that is much more powerful.  and since it is now similar to the archetecture everyone else uses, so it will get all the AAAA games on it, unlike Wii U

and they will hopefully come up with a better name for it. Like Nintendo Ultra ;)  

(yeah i remember N64 used to be called Ultra 64 and had a much cooler logo)

but i doubt it.

i think this is the biggest opportunity for nintendo to jump into the top gaming console market. 

sony and MS will not update for a few years, they are too invested in the consoles.  

if nintendo releases a console next year they can possibly have machine that is much more powerful.  and since it is now similar to the archetecture everyone else uses, so it will get all the AAAA games on it, unlike Wii U

and they will hopefully come up with a better name for it. Like Nintendo Ultra ;)  

(yeah i remember N64 used to be called Ultra 64 and had a much cooler logo)

but i doubt it.

Could certainly be an opportunity but I think the biggest issue with Nintendo is that it is too hard for them to leave their own niche.

Not sure if it is a blessing or a curse at this point.

How many kids these days even care about Super Mario or any of the franchises that Nintendo has created over the last 20 or so years.

The people that knew these great IPs are slowly getting old and the ones who should care about these IPs simply don't know about them.

I might be totally wrong.

The people that knew these great IPs are slowly getting old and the ones who should care about these IPs simply don't know about them.

i see kids playing mario kart and and new super mario brothers and super smash brothers all the time.    that is the only reason they get a nintendo console.

i tried mario kart 8 and it is just as fun as i remember original super nintendo mario kart was when i played it with friends at school.

if nintendo makes a console that will have Call of Dutys and Battlefields and AssassinCreeds....     AND play all the mario games....  they will have a winner.   I would buy it.

provided they don't do anything stupid with the controller (or just give you an option to get pro controller by default)

but since they are licencing the characters for cell phones (IIRC) then i doubt they will deliver a powerful console.

i see kids playing mario kart and and new super mario brothers and super smash brothers all the time.    that is the only reason they get a nintendo console.

i tried mario kart 8 and it is just as fun as i remember original super nintendo mario kart was when i played it with friends at school.

if nintendo makes a console that will have Call of Dutys and Battlefields and AssassinCreeds....     AND play all the mario games....  they will have a winner.   I would buy it.

provided they don't do anything stupid with the controller (or just give you an option to get pro controller by default)

but since they are licencing the characters for cell phones (IIRC) then i doubt they will deliver a powerful console.

Could be that the brand awareness is different depending on countries / demographics etc. 

Nintendo could certainly have a winner if they followed the approach that you mention. It would certainly be easier and cheaper for Devs.

I didn't know they were licencing their characters for cell phone games .. maybe they are trying to strengthen their brand.

After checking google it seems like Nintendo just started to be profitable again after a little rough patch.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/07/nintendo-narrowly-misses-sales-target-for-troubled-wii-u

• Like 1

When does a company really win? In my opinion, sales is just a small piece of it.

User satisfaction, value proposition, support etc... are equally important if not more important. Ofcourse, this is my personal opinion.

Pretty much this. Sure Sony has more sales, but regardless of which console you buy, I suspect the buyer is gonna be happy with it. Game consoles are not exactly "spur of the moment" decisions. The XBO has fewer shipped units, but customer satisfaction is high because MS is trying hard to do right by everyone now. Despite claims to the contrary, the Internet does tend to both forgive and forget.

Moral of this story: don't rest on your laurels.

Why is anyone putting stock in what Riccitiello is saying?

The guy still has a lot of respect in the industry.  For everything EA did wrong they'd done a lot right under Ricci that I never saw when Probst was leading (or before that.)

The jury's still out on if Wilson will be any good.

As for Sony, I believe MS has a lot more money to throw around for first party games.  That alone will keep them going.  I hope Sony can bring out some great titles but their cashflow in recent years is not promising.

This is like an echo chamber of the PS3/Xbox 360 release. It is using old, horrible, PowerPC tech it won't last 3 years. WTF is a Cell processor, that is going to make ports so hard and performance will always be crap because devs won't optimise for a single platform. Only 256MB RAM HAHAHAH no way that will be able to play anything in a couple of years. Sony and MS will come out with an updated version with more RAM and better CPU/GPU in 2 years I can guarantee it. Lol it has a mobile GPU that wasn't even good 2 years ago!!

Etc. Etc.

And here we are 8-9 years later with the PS3 and 360 still doing a very good job at holding its own with modern games like Titanfall, CoD, Destiny, etc.

Do people forget this every single time a new console comes out? Next I am sure I will get the "but they learnt how to better optimise for the PowerPC/Cell which is why games got better with the age of the console but that just can't happen with the x86 architecture we have now" responses coming in soon.

You know what? Every time people make the same comments and every time they are wrong.

Disclaimer: My wife was a producer on Alien: Isolation and has worked in the games industry as a producer for almost 10 years now. She knows her ###### so I take her thoughts on the matter over people not in the industry.

I disagree. From my point of view the PS4 is extremely unambitious. They just made a slightly faster PS3.

The largest applause Sony has even gotten was when they announced that they weren't going to limit the sale of used games, wouldn't force a Kinect down the throat and would cost 399$ (afair?).

If the XB1 had launched with the same policies as they have now and at the same price as the PS4, Sony would've had bugger all to show at E3. They really, really got lucky this time.

Well no it is more than just a slightly faster PS3 but even if it was why does that matter? Isn't a 2015 gaming PC just a faster version of a 2013 gaming PC? I fail to see how that really matters. The PS4 has lots of new features (as well as some missing annoyingly) with things like in game video recording and broadcasting, much improved remote play, all the new social features, share play, etc. It offers much more than just a better CPU, GPU and more RAM.

Saying things like "If the XB1 had launched with the same policies as they have now..." is a rather pointless comment because in the actual real world they didn't launch with that did they? They screwed up big time and it took them a year to truly realise this and start a course of correction. That is like me saying "If the PS4 had launched costing $100 less it would have sold even more!!" well yes but that isn't the world we live in. Making up alternative histories isn't going to change what happened.

Well no it is more than just a slightly faster PS3 but even if it was why does that matter? Isn't a 2015 gaming PC just a faster version of a 2013 gaming PC? I fail to see how that really matters. The PS4 has lots of new features (as well as some missing annoyingly) with things like in game video recording and broadcasting, much improved remote play, all the new social features, share play, etc. It offers much more than just a better CPU, GPU and more RAM.

Saying things like "If the XB1 had launched with the same policies as they have now..." is a rather pointless comment because in the actual real world they didn't launch with that did they? They screwed up big time and it took them a year to truly realise this and start a course of correction. That is like me saying "If the PS4 had launched costing $100 less it would have sold even more!!" well yes but that isn't the world we live in. Making up alternative histories isn't going to change what happened.

It IS a slightly (or significantly, whichever you prefer) faster PS3.

It's gaming console and that's it. And I'm not saying that that is necessarily a bad thing, but it's just the way it is.

And no, MS didn't launch the XB1 with the same policies as they have now. But if they did, Sonys presentation would be based on.. what?

People need to stop looking at this as a competition with winners and losers! Sony got their console right ,they got it at a good price range with good specs and good games.

This doesn't have to be about how MS did this or it's only because of XYZ, it's because they got it right.

They've released a great console that is selling incredibly well and AFAIK, miles better than their last attempt, that is nailing it - stop turning this into anything more than it needs to be.

• Like 2

Sony's PS1, PS2, and PS4 have all outsold the competition (by a large amount, too).  And the PS3 didn't do bad by any means in terms of sales but wasn't the "winner" that generation.