In the UK and used Ryanair before?

I have always used easyJet but this one time, I decided to use Ryanair because they did a route I wanted cheaply.

I am now in the Ryanair app to check in but it's asking me to choose a seat.

Standard seats are

Is that not pay to pre-book a seat ahead of time? Otherwise its normally. turn up on the day and get what's given?

I haven't flown Ryan Air, and I've not flown Easy Jet in a while, but BA for example will allow you to check in 24 hours before the flight and choose a seat. If you try to do it before that, it costs.

Is that not pay to pre-book a seat ahead of time? Otherwise its normally. turn up on the day and get what's given?

I haven't flown Ryan Air, and I've not flown Easy Jet in a while, but BA for example will allow you to check in 24 hours before the flight and choose a seat. If you try to do it before that, it costs.

The Ryanair app isn't let me continue checking in until I've chosen a seat (all, of which, cost).

I am in a live chat with their support now, will let you know.

You dont have to choose your seats - that is an extra add-on.

You can also choose luggage for each leg of your trip (15kg is

In addition Ryanair's fleet is old whereas Easyjet lease and replaces planes after 3-5 years. Some of Ryanairs old donkeys have been in service for 20+ years.

Info from my mate who is an aircraft mechanic and has maintained both fleets. He has always said 'Never fly Ryanair'.

post-645-0-71777300-1431010881.png

It seems I was checking in too early.

With easyJet, because they choose your seats, I can check in 28 days early with no problems.

Seems with Ryanair, I have to wait until there are 7 days before the flight to check in, in order to not pay for seats.

In addition Ryanair's fleet is old whereas Easyjet lease and replaces planes after 3-5 years. Some of Ryanairs old donkeys have been in service for 20+ years.

Info from my mate who is an aircraft mechanic and has maintained both fleets. He has always said 'Never fly Ryanair'.

Don't scare me :(

The Ryanair app isn't let me continue checking in until I've chosen a seat (all, of which, cost).

I am in a live chat with their support now, will let you know.

How long is it till your flight though? As I say, if this was BA that would be the case if I tried to do this more than 24 hours in advance.

How long is it till your flight though? As I say, if this was BA that would be the case if I tried to do this more than 24 hours in advance.

It's in 30 days (6th June).

It's in 30 days (6th June).

I wouldn't expect to be able to check into any flight more than 24 hours away without paying for it.

I wouldn't expect to be able to check into any flight more than 24 hours away without paying for it.

Ah, ok :)

Just different to how I do it with easyJet.

Yeah check usually happens a week before. I flew recently with Ryanair and wasn't charged for checking in. Won't too much of any issue waiting until then. 

I use EasyJet and RyanAir regularly between Bordeaux or Beregrac and Stanstead or Gatwick.   It's true that EJ is more like a real airline, where RA is blatantly budget.  Having said that, for a short flight i makes no real difference, so I fly with whichever  is cheaper and has the most convenient times for the day I want to fly.  I cam confirm that with both you do not need to pay for an assigned seat if you don't mind a random one. Once again - for a short flight who cares?

I use EasyJet and RyanAir regularly between Bordeaux or Beregrac and Stanstead or Gatwick.   It's true that EJ is more like a real airline, where RA is blatantly budget.  Having said that, for a short flight i makes no real difference, so I fly with whichever  is cheaper and has the most convenient times for the day I want to fly.  I cam confirm that with both you do not need to pay for an assigned seat if you don't mind a random one. Once again - for a short flight who cares?

I just wish I could check in 30 days in advance like I can with easyJet.

Then I can forget about it until it's time to fly :p

I think you'll find Ryanair has some of the youngest aircraft around. For a start, they ONLY operate 738s which didn't launch until 1998 - certainly not 20+ years ago. Infact, looking at it, Ryanair's oldest plane first flew in Oct 2002 (EI-DAC) - and EJ's Aug 2003 (G-EZAM). The budget carriers almost ALWAYS have young aircraft - it avoids them paying up for an expensive D check which costs millions. Whereas a traditional carrier (I.E. BA, LH) will hold onto their aircraft and maintain them throughout their life. 

OP, as you've already found out - you have to hang on to check in in order to get a free seat. EJ at 30 days does sound a pretty good offering though, especially up against BA's 24 hour limit.

Ryanair are the shadiest of the "Budget Air lines" Some of the reasons covered here. 

The website employs some of the crappiest marketing techniques ever, Adding things to your basket, So its more of an Opt Out rather than opt in. I think they had been wrapped on their knuckles before for this anyway so it might be better now. 

Not making it clear you DONT need stuff etc. 

Wasn't it them who were going to offer a flight with no seating, Standing up for short flights? Until the Authority's said Errr no.