Nintendo makes first operating profit in four years

Japanese videogame maker Nintendo made its first annual operating profit in four years, which beat its forecast as well as the market's.

Operating profit was 24.8bn yen ($207m;

BTW, the profit came from the Universal Studios theme park deal.

looks like nintendo is looking to change it's business model.

wonder if we even see a new console after wii u

Well, Nintendo has made indications of having some operations on other platforms, so I wouldn't be surprised. They do still own some very, very valuable property that can be ported to many types of systems pretty easily. Definitely some stuff I'd like to play, but not enough to buy a console just for it.

Of course we will, they'd be stupid not to.

ts plans to enter the smartphone market

i just hope the smarphone/tablet's microtransactions-laden business models do not enter the Nintendo traditional games.

Of course we will, they'd be stupid not to.

Seeing how this is their first operating profit in a while, why would they be stupid not to? Apparently the money isn't flowing in.

• Like 1

Seeing how this is their first operating profit in a while, why would they be stupid not to? Apparently the money isn't flowing in.

They need a new marketing team. They did it ass backwards with WiiU. Fresh start will make things right again.

Ummm they already announced they're working on it and will have a proper announcement this summer at E3, so... 

Ummm they already announced they're working on it and will have a proper announcement this summer at E3, so... 

so....?

how right I was to doubt the new console

This is todays news:

President Satoru Iwata announces Nintendo

just to let you know, nintendo is out of the console business for now (most likely forever)

I still have some shares of Nintendo that I bought 15+ years ago so that I would get their annual reports mailed to me. They stopped mailing them now though, everything is PDF.

I guess I'll still hold on to the investment anyway. Hoping Nintendo will get involved with teledildonics or something lucrative in the next few years.

just to let you know, nintendo is out of the console business for now (most likely forever)

I believe that website is misreading what Nintendo said in their results.  From what other sites were saying, I believe Nintendo is stopping development of their console that they were going to release in emerging markets.  It would have been the Wii U, just obviously with some features removed to reduce cost.  I don't believe they are stopping all console development period, just deciding not to invest their money in a specific console made for emerging markets.

I believe that website is misreading what Nintendo said in their results.  From what other sites were saying, I believe Nintendo is stopping development of their console that they were going to release in emerging markets.  It would have been the Wii U, just obviously with some features removed to reduce cost.  I don't believe they are stopping all console development period, just deciding not to invest their money in a specific console made for emerging markets.

we have about 6 weeks to see.  but i seriously doubt they will announce a proper (not mobile) console.

i would love to be proven wrong.  not likely though.

Well the Wii U is finally getting some of the big name titles out so I may have to pick one up soon. :)

Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Mario Party 10 are out, etc etc, new Zelda soon.

we have about 6 weeks to see.  but i seriously doubt they will announce a proper (not mobile) console.

i would love to be proven wrong.  not likely though.

They're already working on it. It's called the NX, for now. Posting a random website isn't going to prove your point. When actual gaming journalists post it. You know, credible ones. Then i'll believe it.

The Wii U is a great wee console. I think if Nintendo had a better online network, and some added features like something to compete with trophies/achievements it would be played more. The region locking is a massive turn off as well, they need to scrap that with their next venture.

Good to see them in profit. Regardless of your alliances, we only have three major players and no, it would never be a win for anyone if any of them dropped out. A monopoly is bad.

Region locking is so damn stupid. I think I read the other day that Iwata was considering removing the region locking. I am not sure what exactly the obstacle is.

Regardless of your alliances, we only have three major players and no, it would never be a win for anyone if any of them dropped out. A monopoly is bad.

technically, it will be a duopoly if one of 3 drops out :p

ok, that is good. although

The Wii U is a great wee console. I think if Nintendo had a better online network, and some added features like something to compete with trophies/achievements it would be played more.

It was a gimmicky console that tried to recreate the success of the original Wii. It was also massively underpowered, with a weaker CPU than the PS3 or X360. Not only that but tablets are evolving so quickly and the Wii U controller was horribly dated from the get-go.

Nintendo really needs to focus on games and move away from hardware. Releasing its games on Steam would be a major money earner, same with mobile (Android, iOS). It wouldn't surprise me to see Nintendo release a branded Steam Machine console that comes bundled with their games, as that would provide a large games catalogue (something Nintendo has always struggled with, especially with mature games) and provide minimal risk (they wouldn't be heavily subsidised). Certainly I think Nintendo needs to be bold, as a Wii U 2 isn't going to help the company.

It was a gimmicky console that tried to recreate the success of the original Wii. It was also massively underpowered, with a weaker CPU than the PS3 or X360. Not only that but tablets are evolving so quickly and the Wii U controller was horribly dated from the get-go.

Nintendo really needs to focus on games and move away from hardware. Releasing its games on Steam would be a major money earner, same with mobile (Android, iOS). It wouldn't surprise me to see Nintendo release a branded Steam Machine console that comes bundled with their games, as that would provide a large games catalogue (something Nintendo has always struggled with, especially with mature games) and provide minimal risk (they wouldn't be heavily subsidised). Certainly I think Nintendo needs to be bold, as a Wii U 2 isn't going to help the company.

Is the Wii U weaker than the One and PS4? yes of course it is, massively so, I also thought that was ridiculous years ago. but reality is, it doesn't matter. 

If I had to chose I would pick my One over the Wii U, but I have more fun on the Wii U.

as for the controller. while it can be seen as gimmicky and dates, as I did before. IT works very well, yeah the pro controller is more comfortable. BUT the ability to watch TV while playing actual console games with an actual controller in front of me is awesome. And something no tablet recreates and even if it could it wouldn't have Mario Kart, Smash, Zelda, Mario 3D World, King Kong and the rest of the nintendo family. Games that can't be played without a controller anyway. 

As for Nintendo struggling with a larger library. no really. you do realize the Wii U was the first console in generations where they actively tried to be a "powerhouse" and cater to 3rd parties. it was also the first console where they had to start taking a loss. Nintendo can do just fine on their own, in fact they do better on their own when they don't cater to everyone else. 

I think Ninty is too conservative for what you're suggesting with the Steam Machine.

I think the Wii U tried to capitalise on the popularity of tablets and found out the hard way that slapping a screen onto a controller wasn't exactly what people were interested in. Gimmicks aren't always a bad thing, but Nintendo seems to have relied upon them a little too much and completely misread what the market wanted.

It's a little funny because when you look at some of their older games being played in emulators with modern enhancements enabled the games stack up really well. I recently seen Sunshine and the galaxy games being played in Dolphin and it really struck me how great they look and how fun they still are.

• Like 1

Nintendo really needs to focus on games and move away from hardware.

Which Sega already did, and look what happened to them after that? They became less and less relevant in game market.