Meet the browser: Edge Next

Importing bookmarks as a possible future update... that is pretty unacceptable.

LOL, that's a baseline feature. If that's not in there, the browser isn't ready for prime time. Whats next, Office Word 2016 shipping without a spellcheck, but promised in the coming months?

• Like 1

OK - so what does this mean for the non-benchmark running people ?

In real world situations ?

I dont care about some synthetic test that tells me the differences are huge in milliseconds

In the real world to be honest all modern browsers will be quick enough unless you are using flash. If you disable flash they all do the job perfectly fine unless yo are running some 10+ years old PC. A standard web site should render close to pixel perfect on all modern browsers too if the dev knows what he is doing.

Firefox has been slow with flash enabled for me lately. Maybe it's my flash installation the problem dunno but IE and Chrome are giving me better perf with flash. But since i keep flash disabled most of the time unless i have to use it then it doesn't matter much to me.

The difference between IE and Firefox used to be very big. Some of our heavy intranet apps would take as much as 1 minute to render a page using IE 6 versus around 16 secondes using Firefox (pages with very big tables of data). But these days the difference is marginal at best for us.

I HIGHLY doubt Microsoft will release Edge for OSes other than Windows.

Or they're trying to get it to work properly on Windows 10 first before thinking of porting it to other platforms.

OK - so what does this mean for the non-benchmark running people ?

In real world situations ?

I dont care about some synthetic test that tells me the differences are huge in milliseconds

The daily sum of all those milliseconds gives you a couple of more seconds a day. 

I HIGHLY doubt Microsoft will release Edge for OSes other than Windows.

I agree with you. But I think it's a mistake.

They might release it on other mobile OS's, like Android first and then iOS, but we're talking next year here, Windows comes first and that's desktop and mobile, plus Xbox One before they'll look at other OS'.

Intel helped Microsoft to implement "ES7" SIMD support in MS Edge.

Blog Post - http://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2015/05/21/intel-and-microsoft-partnering-for-an-improved-web-experience/

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

It's moving along at a pretty good pace, only time will tell how often they can push out a new version post Windows 10 release.  It'll be good if they can do weekly updates for it, even if it's only, say, twice a month, I'd be ok with it if each update was bigger and added more things.

Does Edge have any VP8/VP9 support yet?

Nope. Only MPEG-4 and H.264.

Some sites might misdetect due to UA sniffing since Edge has Chrome in its UA as well.

I'm still sticking with IE. IE is super fast, and blocks all ads.

Edge is still in early stages, so who knows, but as it is, I can't use it if it doesn't block ads, as is.

My only qubble with Edge (and I admit - it's a quibble) is no support for some of my favorite plugins (such as IDM).  IE supports IDM, but Edge does not.

Still, it's a quibble.

I can block all ads in Edge just fine, but that's neither here nor there. Once Edge supports extensions, that's when plugins like IDM will probably be released.

Does Edge support viewing RSS feeds from within the browser? (At the moment I do not have access to the most recently released build of Windows 10).

Gave it a try, still not impressed, feels like IE with a skin 

Will give another try once Win 10 is official 

Am I the only one missing full screen browsing like with Modern IE?

Also the swipe left or right to go to the previous/next page?

These are 2 things I got so used to in the last couple of years. Now I feel I have so much wasted screen estate with Edge, even in full screen mode, specially with that silly taskbar in tablet mode.

Any updates now that build 10130 is out?

Only these cosmetic changes - http://dev.modern.ie/platform/changelog/

One WebGL extension, which was also in Build 10125.

ES7 SIMD support.

No new flag in about:flags from Build 10122 (In 10125, it was broken).

They might release it on other mobile OS's, like Android first and then iOS, but we're talking next year here, Windows comes first and that's desktop and mobile, plus Xbox One before they'll look at other OS'.

Yep, and times slips away as 95 percent of the market becomes more entrenched on other platforms. 

Anybody found a way yet to get Edge to run full screen, with no chrome, like Modern IE11?

I miss the left and right swipe, specially on the forum pages here on Neowin