Copying Files Within a NAS Issue

I'm looking to create a duplicate of a large amount of files within our backup storage stored on a NAS device. However when I do this my Up/Down traffic meters spin up and the speed of the copy is very slow (around 100Kbps) which shows me when I copy > paste the files to a new location on the NAS it's actually copying all the files to my local computer than reuploading them to the server. This is obviously horrendously inefficient and time consuming so I

What kind of a NAS is it? If you have CLI access to it, you can just run a copy using the CLI which will do the copy locally on the NAS and not via the networking on your computer.

What kind of a NAS is it? If you have CLI access to it, you can just run a copy using the CLI which will do the copy locally on the NAS and not via the networking on your computer.

Hmm it looks like it supports an ftp CLI and server but I'm not sure if thats much help since FTPs dont like to transfer to themselves (at least in my experience). I'll look more into this though, thanks.

OP - what NAS do you have?

in my experience if youre using the NAS's GUI in a browser then there should be no file transfer b/w the NAS and your computer. If youre copy/pasting through your OS then all those files would go NAS--> computer --> NAS.

The nature of copy is to copy them to the computer cache then to the location.  How do you expect a copy to work, magically move the files from point a to point b without any sort of processing?  What kind of magic do you think you have at your fingertips?  If you don't want to use the local computer resources to copy, then run the command from the server or file host... if you can.

OP - what NAS do you have?

in my experience if youre using the NAS's GUI in a browser then there should be no file transfer b/w the NAS and your computer. If youre copy/pasting through your OS then all those files would go NAS--> computer --> NAS.

It's a Dlink DNS-323. There is an accessible GUI but it's only for settings, no file management options :-\

The nature of copy is to copy them to the computer cache then to the location.  How do you expect a copy to work, magically move the files from point a to point b without any sort of processing?  What kind of magic do you think you have at your fingertips?  If you don't want to use the local computer resources to copy, then run the command from the server or file host... if you can.

Most NAS's are actually mini computers themselves that run some derivative of the unix operating system. Copying files is one of the most base functions within a computer with a unix-based OS so all of them will have it (no magic required!). It's just a matter of how you go about  gaining access to that function, which is why I asked my question.