Can't send SMS messages via iMessage

My wife & I both have iPhones.

We were until this week able to send to each other via iMessage.

Now before anyone suggests it, iMessage is turned on on both phones (and we have turned it off & back on again). Send as text message is turned off on both phones (we have turned it on, tried it & back off again). We have tried in 2G areas, 3G areas & when WiFi has been activated.

Actually, i think she can still send to me via iMessage but i certainly can't send to her.

It's not my phone (as such) though because i can still send to my brother & sister via iMessage.

So why can't i (any longer (again, i used to be able to)) send to my wife via iMessage (even when we both have WiFi activated) and how do i fix it?

Did you recently re add either of you to you contact list? Under contacts, check to make sure both you have your contact numbers under "iphone" and NOT mobile.

I'm not sure how relevant this is but my son and I had this same issue, only he was using his iPod and could not send iMessages. He could iMessage others, just not me. As it turned out, after he deleted all of his iMessages that he had sent, just to me, he was able to once again iMessage me. I'm not sure if it had to do with having too many emoji's during the course of the iMessage archive that had built up or what. He wasn't happy about having to delete it but he was even more unhappy about not being able to iMessage me. (I live over an hour away from him and only get to see him every so often so iMessaging is very important to us) It might be worth a try if there aren't any other helpful answers that come along.

Different iOS version, but this shouldn't matter as it worked for months anyway. Neither of us have changed our iOS version.

Not tried rebooting phone yet.

We wont have blocked each other. lol

No no re-adding. Like i said in OP, NOTHING changed - that covers iOS version, settings, adding, not adding etc etc. NOTHING changed. One day it worked, next day it didn't. The only thing is one day i had to send to her via text message (when you hold your message & choose to send as text message) because i didn't have coverage to send via iMessage. Strange how you can force it to send as text message but not iMessage.

^^ again, as i said, everything was checked.

Anyway, turning my phone off & then back on seems to have fixed it. Strange.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes iMessage can do things like this, and I've had it end up with two message threads from the same person appear (one for email, one for phone number). I think my phone tried to verify with the iMessage server once and couldn't as I only had GPRS, so it lost the ability to send at the time.

Hello,

Nowadays smartphones have more in common with a computer than ever.

So it does not shock me you had to reboot it (imessage service probably crashed on you phone).

^^ again, as i said, everything was checked.

Anyway, turning my phone off & then back on seems to have fixed it. Strange.

See, should have done that first like i said. :p

• Like 1