Build 10074 - Start screen icons 3-in-a-row instead of 4-in-a-row

If you have done a clean install of 10074 you will have noticed that the start screen rows are now 3 squares wide instead of 4, as was in previous builds (see attached screenshot).

Do any of you clever people know how to revert it back to 4-in-a-row? Registry hack somewhere?

I liked 4, it gave me room to group apps as I needed then. Now, with 3, I find that things don't quite fit.

post-539000-0-22457600-1431283203.png

you can rearrange them to where they are 4 in a row.

Tried that - no joy.

Mine is 4 in a row, on 10074

Did you do an upgrade from an earlier build or a fresh install?

Someone actually has them as 4 in a row still?

I updated from an earlier build (10061) on my SP3 and it went to 3 in a row.

Clean install on my desktop also only has 3 in a row...

What a ridiculous waste of space, at least make it a setting option!

• 2 weeks later...

So did anyone figure out a way to bring  a row of 4 tiles per column?

So much wasted space...

I was just searching for a solution to this myself, sadly even with a 1200p monitor I can't show more than 3 tiles horizontally in a group at once :/

I just upgraded my OS Windows10 with build 10130. I am getting an issue with network giving error unidentified network, no internet access.

Also...battery also drained quickly.

~

Strange on the tiles mine are still 4 in row. Have only done updates since the original download on 10130.

So you upgraded from a build that had 4 and it stayed 4? Or do you mean you clean installed 10130 and it still let you put 4?

It's funny, on my laptop, I have two groups of tiles in the start menu and it is 4 tiles wide. My desktop on the other hand is plagued with the dreaded 3 med tiles wide. When I have a med and a wide tile side by side and try to resize the med tile it just pushes the wide tile down. Trying to resize the start menu or rearrange the other tile groups does not allow the start menu to expand for the 4th tile, so sadly I'm stuck with 3 tiles wide for now on that machine :(

~

So you upgraded from a build that had 4 and it stayed 4? Or do you mean you clean installed 10130 and it still let you put 4?

Only have done upgrades through the fast ring.

I've got 2 versions of Windows 10 running on the same device. One installation has 4 in a row, the other 3 and I don't have a clue why... I've asked GabeAul multiple times, but never get a response.

• Like 1

I've got 2 versions of Windows 10 running on the same device. One installation has 4 in a row, the other 3 and I don't have a clue why... I've asked GabeAul multiple times, but never get a response.

Same issue. Running 10130:

Desktop: 3 rows

Laptop: 4 rows

There must be some registry setting somewhere that is controlling this.

I'm not sure what section to even start looking though...

• 3 months later...