1st gen Nexus tablet

give it to someone who actually have a use for it, without asking on internet :p

come on you must know someone, or someone's kids who might use it. 

since you don't need it, they can use it from whatever they want.

Get Cooking!

Get some stick on magnets and put them on the back.

Place tablet on your refrigerator and use it as a recipe finder/guide while cooking.

Or

Stream music while working in the kitchen using your favorite streaming service's app.  Too old to find an app to do this, load it up with music and play your music on it.

Car Navigation:

If you do not have one already, mount it, cut a hole in your dash or whatever method you choose, use it as a GPS Sytem

Add a car dashboard to it so you can track your speed, distance traveled, use a compass or whatever.

Home Automation:

Mount to a wall

Use apps like Tasker to send commands to other devices hooked into your home network.

Do something cool like this:

Organizational device:

Use it to keep your grocery lists and take it to the store with you.

Use it as a calculator or other tool.

Use it to keep track of all your belongings and catalog them.  Then store tablet in safe place.  In the event something is stolen, you charge tablet up and retrieve your info. 

Additional Display!

You can use your tablet as a secondary display or additional one. 

http://www.greenbot.com/article/2451320/how-to-use-your-android-tablet-as-a-second-laptop-screen.html

I'm sure there are other apps than what is recommended on the above site, but just to give you an idea. 

Hope these help! :)

Can you trade it in for a newer tablet?

Great question, I haven't seen any programs like that. 

I may have to do a combination of F2FS and putting it in the kitchen. 

It amazes me how slow the device has gotten. 

Have you got the Lollipop update on it? I know a few people who got the update and suddenly everything slows down to a crawl.

Have you got the Lollipop update on it? I know a few people who got the update and suddenly everything slows down to a crawl.

Yeah I think it is fully up to date, I'll have to check. 

Yeah I think it is fully up to date, I'll have to check. 

Have you tried doing a factory reset on it? Once I factory reset my Nexus 4 it sped up a bit after installing 5.

I know some people with 1st gen Nexus devices have had some success speeding things up after installing Lollipop by doing factory resets/wiping cache partition/disabling processes, but others haven't. I think it's just luck of the draw.

You may want to try flashing and installing an image of KitKat and seeing if that does anything for performance.