Programmers, what's your typing speed?

Question

Hi,

Lately, I have been noticing that programming for hours is taking a toll on my wrist and fingers. Wearing a splint does help but I feel I would rather have a stronger hand than use a splint.

don

I just thought the Gates quote fit well with your "typing isn't what takes time, it's thinking about what to type". Wasn't disagreeing with anything. That tends to get lost in short textual replies :pinch:

I just thought the Gates quote fit well with your "typing isn't what takes time, it's thinking about what to type". Wasn't disagreeing with anything. That tends to get lost in short textual replies :pinch:

I tend to agree. Unless someone's a coding monkey (doing stuff that's so simple it doesn't require thought), then the majority of the time is spent planning, visualising, researching etc. Even though I don't even touch the mouse in Vim, I rarely just bang away on the keyboard with little thought about what I'm writing. That's a recipe for errors and bad code.

Ever since i setup my coding environment to do most of the work for me i've been able to type slower and get more down.

Using things like snippets for regular blocks of code, i'm not sure what you code but I use Emmet for CSS and plugins that process a lot of short hand, tag closing and predictive work... Typing comes right down as you need to think a little bit more, but over all it's more characters per minute.