Ultra-HD Blu-ray Spec. Released

I never understand why people want 3d to die, it's optional and usually allows for a cheaper bluray. I own about 70-80 3d movies on bluray and every one came with a non-3d version. Don't like it... Buy the standard version... Why can't there be both?

Screw that, I want full on 3d holograms

You have to wait for a long time for the holograms.

I see why you want this because you watch hologram girl bends over...

:p

You have to wait for a long time for the holograms.

I see why you want this because you watch hologram girl bends over...

:p

Not just that :p

I never understand why people want 3d to die, it's optional and usually allows for a cheaper bluray. I own about 70-80 3d movies on bluray and every one came with a non-3d version. Don't like it... Buy the standard version... Why can't there be both?

Personally?

Not die, per se, I just don't know anyone physically who has a 3d home cinema system, nor has it really gained any real traction when I've spoken to electronics retailers, (they do push 3d)

UHD on the other hand, it'll become as affordable as 2k systems are now, in time, but then I wonder, am I now going to have to buy a 3rd media for my favourite movies, (over 1000 dvds and blu ray mixed in the last 15 or so years of collecting)

Not backwards to me.. 

Best views at home, period. This includes you can view any angle. And motion pictures are sharp... crisp. etc.

Cinemas are sometimes good, sometimes crap depends on on how the films are made and the equipments are used at the cinemas.

Most of time, movies can be seen with ghost images in 3D at cinemas. 

No problems at home.  

2D movies are best in IMAX cinemas.

In which case you've never been do an actual dual projector 3D cinema. they are hands down the only technology worth watching 3D on. 

and angles aren't really affected either way. polarization could theoretically do it, if you're sitting like 90 degrees of the screen, but then you'd have other problems. 

other than that 3D is much better the bigger the screen is (3D on my projector on a 120+ inch screen beat it on the technically better 55 inch LED tv). bigger screens increases the issue with flickering whites/bights though. 

again, because 3D leads to and sometimes requires bad cinematography to look right. 

FINALLY.

It's about damn time this was done and dusted. I hope UHDBD players will launch this autumn (or sooner), because it's been far too long already. Can't wait to start watching movies on this format, 1080p blu-rays and Netflix 4K just doesn't cut it anymore.

• Like 1

what's the point? these resolutions are simply insane. cable still broadcasts at 720... and MAYBE 1080 for a large sporting event. Standard Blu-ray still hasn't got full market penetration because for a lot of people DVDs are good enough. Sorry. I can't help but think that 4K and especially 8K are going to be a niche market. at 1080 I can already see every blemish on an actor... I don't need to be able to see into their pimples too.

edit.

additionally games are having a hard time keeping up on 1080. some games reduce the FPS... others have to drop the resolution or even the over all image quality just to keep up.

I for one welcome the new format, 60fps (or actually 48fps) movies, yes please! Haven't bought a DVD in years, I always go to the Bluray section nowadays (same price-ish, much better picture quality, awesome sounds, and generally Blurays are more quiet than DVDs). 

And why are people so much against 3D? I for one always choose 3D version over 2D at the cinema because of the extra depth. Some movies overuse it (Avatar and Transformers), while others have a nice blend (Pirates of the Caribbean 4 and Marvel movies). Clunky 3D glasses? I have no problems with them even if I have glasses underneath them. 

In which case you've never been do an actual dual projector 3D cinema. they are hands down the only technology worth watching 3D on. 

and angles aren't really affected either way. polarization could theoretically do it, if you're sitting like 90 degrees of the screen, but then you'd have other problems. 

other than that 3D is much better the bigger the screen is (3D on my projector on a 120+ inch screen beat it on the technically better 55 inch LED tv). bigger screens increases the issue with flickering whites/bights though. 

I told you, I said depends on their equipments they used at the cinemas.  Learn to read. Read my posts above.

And I said sometimes the movies look good (depends on equipments and/or film made.)..  But I prefer watching movies at home. period. That way, I can pause the movie for bathroom/snack breaks

You need to stop quoting me... Please stop. I know what I am talking about.  I don't want any more of lectures.

I know how they work... 

If you think, cinemas is better, that's fine.. feel free to go and watch there....  It's your decision. Not mine.

Shame they couldn't have ratified this before the release of the ps4.

Bluray was the reason I brought a ps3, having ultra HD even though I don't own a 4k TV would have been above bit of future proofing , like when they added 3D support for blurays on the ps3 through a firmware update.

Even without 4k having hardware support for H.265 (HEVC) would have made them better streaming devices and the higher capacity 66 and 100GB discs would have served the consoles well.  The PS4 is the first PlayStation that didn't get a media upgrade.

what's the point? these resolutions are simply insane. cable still broadcasts at 720... and MAYBE 1080 for a large sporting event. Standard Blu-ray still hasn't got full market penetration because for a lot of people DVDs are good enough. Sorry. I can't help but think that 4K and especially 8K are going to be a niche market. at 1080 I can already see every blemish on an actor... I don't need to be able to see into their pimples too.

edit.

additionally games are having a hard time keeping up on 1080. some games reduce the FPS... others have to drop the resolution or even the over all image quality just to keep up.

The point is TV manufacturers are making 4k TVs and there is little to no content for them.  They aren't going to stop making these TVs and they're getting cheaper and cheaper so before long everyone who buys a new TV will have 4k TVs just because there isn't really an option to buy a lower resolution one.

As you point out they aren't going to get content anytime soon through broadcast TV as that's still 1080i or 720p.  Streaming 4k is already starting though (Netflix, etc.) and that requires H.265 (HEVC) compression which the normal Blu-Ray standard doesn't support.  Likewise not everyone has a great internet connection to stream and disc based media can use less lossy compression so the Blu-Ray association is just adapting to the increase in TV specs not driving things up themselves.

As for games CONSOLES have a hard time doing 1080p@60fps.  You can build a gaming PC that handles that just fine for cheap despite graphics cards being stuck on the 28nm process for some time now.  When that logjam breaks and the new sub-20nm cards come out as well as 3D memory technologies and DX12/Vulkan there is likely to be a large jump in GPU performance.  In the next 2 years or so the GPU on flagship cell phones will likely have no issue playing 1080p games and you'll be able to play 4k games on a reasonably priced PC.  Consoles will have to wait for next generation (except possibly Nintendo but Nintendo isn't known for pushing hardware spec boundaries)

Great to hear, but Wow @ the naming. So after we move past Ultra HD what will it be Extreme HD

There's no real point to get past Ultra HD imo anyway not before many years.

1080p was sort of a mistake. For one it's not a resolution that could be easily interpolated from 720x480p or 720p and it was kind of low resolution for big 60 inches TV. 1440p would have been a better move.

But Ultra HD will be the good move. It's twice the resolution of 1080p so all your Blu Ray will look exactly the same. Will look worse than Ultra HD Blu ray of course but they will look the same as they would on a 1080p display. Also i think it's high enough even for big screens.

Can i play these new discs on my PS4? /s

Does this mean my PS4 will play games at 4k? /s

But Ultra HD will be the good move. It's twice the resolution of 1080p so all your Blu Ray will look exactly the same. Will look worse than Ultra HD Blu ray of course but they will look the same as they would on a 1080p display. Also i think it's high enough even for big screens.

UHD is 4x the resolution of FHD.

I told you, I said depends on their equipments they used at the cinemas.  Learn to read. Read my posts above.

which was what I said in the post you replied to as well.

except even at it's worst a cinema has equal to your best home active 3D glasses, but again, the problem is that bigger screen makes bright flickering far more pronounced since there's a lot more bright. 

If you think, cinemas is better, that's fine.. feel free to go and watch there....  It's your decision. Not mine.

Quality wise they are if you have access to a dual projector cinema, I don't. but I prefer watching movies at home, unless it's a really big movie( Star Wars 7) then I will go to a big city and watch in on the brig screen from a seas in the middle/middle not in 3D. if there's a 3D version, I might watch it in 3D at home later(since I'm not going to the cinema twice for the same movie)

which was what I said in the post you replied to as well.

except even at it's worst a cinema has equal to your best home active 3D glasses, but again, the problem is that bigger screen makes bright flickering far more pronounced since there's a lot more bright. 

Quality wise they are if you have access to a dual projector cinema, I don't. but I prefer watching movies at home, unless it's a really big movie( Star Wars 7) then I will go to a big city and watch in on the brig screen from a seas in the middle/middle not in 3D. if there's a 3D version, I might watch it in 3D at home later(since I'm not going to the cinema twice for the same movie)

I asked you to STOP quoting me..  You can NOT read..

No wonder people like you can NOT read these days.

Another disc-based format?

Dead in the water....

you want to stream 66GB-100GB per movie? unless everyone in entire world gets google fiber, not going to happen.

• Like 2

Can i play these new discs on my PS4? /s

Does this mean my PS4 will play games at 4k? /s

UHD is 4x the resolution of FHD.

probably not, current BD dual layer is 50GB, new UHD BD is 66GB, unless they come out with a firmware update to read smaller pitch on the disc, a new player might be required.

Even without 4k having hardware support for H.265 (HEVC) would have made them better streaming devices and the higher capacity 66 and 100GB discs would have served the consoles well.  The PS4 is the first PlayStation that didn't get a media upgrade.

question is if PS4 can read these new disc. 100GB is triple layer, playstation 4 was released way before triple layer BD was released, hardware limitations could prevent it from working.

Even 66GB dual layer, is a big jump from current 50GB dual layer.

There's no real point to get past Ultra HD imo anyway not before many years.

My TV (I only have one) is a 40" 1080p TV and I'm good with it for now but that's mainly because there is no content right now for 4k.

TV manufacturers aren't going to stop improving their displays though and after 4k there is already 8k waiting in the wings. People who buy new TVs are going to buy 4k and eventually 8k TVs if the price is reasonable and then they're going to want content that fully utilizes their brand new TV. You're going to be hard pressed to find a new 1080p living room TV in a year or two.

1080p was sort of a mistake. For one it's not a resolution that could be easily interpolated from 720x480p or 720p and it was kind of low resolution for big 60 inches TV. 1440p would have been a better move.

This is flawed logic. 720x480 wasn't in widespread use so there is no reason to spend any great amount of effort to easily interpolate from it.

HD Television resolutions were designed to replace SD (NTSC analog in the U.S. which is 640x480). Since the bigger change wasn't the resolution upgrade but the switch from analog to digital the target was to go as high as possible within a given bandwidth target (based on broadcast spectrum and technology at the time).

1080i is the best the were able to get at the time given the constraints they had. If anything was the mistake it was 720p and you'll see nothing TV wise is based on it going forward. (computers and cell phones use multiple of it though but historically these have been separate industries from TVs)

720p was created because it uses a similar amount of bandwidth to 1080i.

Once people had TVs with 1080 rows of pixels though it made sense to have content that refreshed every row, every cycle, instead of just alternate rows as 1080i does despite there not being broadcast bandwidth available for it. As a result Blu-Ray supports 1080p.

Going forward TVs are just going to keep ding multiples of 1080 rows. So 4k is a 2x2 grid of 1080 row screens. 8k is a 4x4 grid of 1080 row screens (or 2x2 grid of 4k screens), etc.

1440 is a garbage resolution on TVs. It's widest usage is on computer monitors just because manufacturers couldn't afford to go higher at a reasonable price at the time. PC monitor resolutions move independently from TV resolutions. It's actually unusual that they've stayed so similar for so long. For a long time TV was 640x480 (in the US) while the most common computer resolution was 1024x768 (despite that being nothing to TVs). Computers went through a 16x10 aspect ratio stage for a while as well before largely settling at 16x9 like TVs.

But Ultra HD will be the good move. It's twice the resolution of 1080p so all your Blu Ray will look exactly the same.

It's 4x not twice. It's a 2x2 grid of 1080 row screens essentially.

Personally I hope that this will be the kick 3D needs to die for another decade, I can't stand it. But I imagine it won't change anything.

For the moment I'm not too worried about Ultra-HD Blu-ray. My Blu-ray collection does me quite nicely at the moment with the size of TVs I buy, and the idea of buying everything again frustrates me.

this is why they do it. come out with something new, high tech, cutting edge so you'll be crazy enough to buy into it and spend thousands all over again. If it were me in the office of these companies, I'd be thinking, "how can I get everyone to buy this technology and then rebuy all their favorite titles all over again? just a cash cow and a way for people to flaunt they have the latest and greatest

this is why they do it. come out with something new, high tech, cutting edge so you'll be crazy enough to buy into it and spend thousands all over again. If it were me in the office of these companies, I'd be thinking, "how can I get everyone to buy this technology and then rebuy all their favorite titles all over again? just a cash cow and a way for people to flaunt they have the latest and greatest

On the plus side it means that Blu-ray prices will drop.

probably not, current BD dual layer is 50GB, new UHD BD is 66GB, unless they come out with a firmware update to read smaller pitch on the disc, a new player might be required.

I think you missed his "/s". Those were sarcastic statements, you almost certainly cannot play the new discs on the PS4 and they can hardly hit 1080p so they aren't going to be doing 4k games.

That will be what the next round of consoles target.

question is if PS4 can read these new disc. 100GB is triple layer, playstation 4 was released way before triple layer BD was released, hardware limitations could prevent it from working.

Even 66GB dual layer, is a big jump from current 50GB dual layer.

The PS4 drive probably can't read the new discs. It IS fast enough though but I doubt they can patch it to read the 66/100GB discs.

Even if they could both the PS4 and Xbox One lack hardware H.265 (HEVC) support. In theory they could write software that runs primarily on the CPU but uses what existing GPU functions they can but that will cause the consoles to run hot/loud just playing back a movie.

Even if they got that far though and the disc was updated and they wrote a software HEVC decoder then the HDMI 1.4 ports on the consoles only support 4k@30fps and not the 60fps this new standard supports.

The best chance of the consoles getting 4k support is not this. It's that they'll support STREAMING 4k@30fps via a software decoder.

[edit] waste of time ... let's just pretend 1080p to 2160p is really hard to interpolate and that 1080p content will look awful on a UHD TV.

On the plus side it means that Blu-ray prices will drop.

I doubt it.

Look at the 80's movies in BR .... they are about as high as the new release movies.

Unless you find the cheap deals either online or offline.

I doubt it.

Look at the 80's movies in BR .... they are about as high as the new release movies.

Unless you find the cheap deals either online or offline.

well yea, but in time maybe.

I guess it depends how much UHD BR takes hold.