Ultra-HD Blu-ray Spec. Released

The Blu-ray Disc Association officially released the specifications for the new Ultra HD Blu-ray

Great to hear, but Wow @ the naming. So after we move past Ultra HD what will it be Extreme HD

Ultra-high-definition television includes 4K UHD (2160p) and 8K UHD (4320p), which are two digital video formats proposed by NHK Science & Technology Research Laboratories and defined and approved by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU).

The BDA is just piggybacking on that so the "Ultra" wasn't really their call.  It's Ultra HD Blu-Ray for your Ultra HD TV.  Personally I think it makes sense to use a common wording like that though the "HD" part is redundant IMHO.  They could have just called it Ultra Blu-Ray.  I agree though that it was odd for NHK Science & Technology Research Laboratories and the ITU to go with Ultra in the first place.  Maybe they figure there won't be a physical media after.

Great to hear, but Wow @ the naming. So after we move past Ultra HD what will it be Extreme HD

Technically, super is after ultra so... Super HD...

I guess Netflix is ahead of times :p

Technically, super is after ultra so... Super HD...

I guess Netflix is ahead of times :p

And Ascended HD is after Super HD! :p

• Like 2

Shame they couldn't have ratified this before the release of the ps4.

Bluray was the reason I brought a ps3, having ultra HD even though I don't own a 4k TV would have been above bit of future proofing , like when they added 3D support for blurays on the ps3 through a firmware update.

Notably absent is 3D support. There is no current plans for 3D Ultra Blu-Ray and while Ultra Blu-Ray branded players must support existing Blu-Ray discs 3D is optional. (likewise CD and DVD support is optional)

Personally I hope that this will be the kick 3D needs to die for another decade, I can't stand it. But I imagine it won't change anything.

For the moment I'm not too worried about Ultra-HD Blu-ray. My Blu-ray collection does me quite nicely at the moment with the size of TVs I buy, and the idea of buying everything again frustrates me.

• Like 3

amazing  another drive to buy /s

ok, let hope that drive the blu ray to go mainsteam in the pc market

to avoid stupied situation where you need 8 DVD discs to install a game :s

Wake me when bandwidth allows me to purchase 4K HDR video on Xbox Video.  I'm not buying disks ever again.

-Forjo

Personally I hope that this will be the kick 3D needs to die for another decade, I can't stand it. But I imagine it won't change anything.

For the moment I'm not too worried about Ultra-HD Blu-ray. My Blu-ray collection does me quite nicely at the moment with the size of TVs I buy, and the idea of buying everything again frustrates me.

It won't happen..  3D still is going.   There are 3D movies that make your jaw drop. 

My brother has 3DTV and I watched movies there, I am telling you this:  AMAZING!   His friends came over for a party and my brother turned TV on and play 3D movie for the kids.. His friend was amazed and said 'Wow' after checking the TV out in 3D.

You have to have the right equipments in order to watch incredible movies in 3D for your home.

I am planning to get one for my movies room ... sometime next year.

So, let me get this straight. Just because you cannot stand it, it needs to die for everybody?. Self centered much?

It won't happen..  3D still is going.   There are 3D movies that make your jaw drop.

Minus glasses? Maybe then I would try it again, although that still won't change much for me. 3D distracts me from the film, my eyes can't focus properly. Having gone to the cinema a couple of times with friends, I've always found myself watching the film with one eye closed.

I understand that some people find 3D to be brilliant, but I'll continue to watch my films in 2D.

So, let me get this straight. Just because you cannot stand it, it needs to die for everybody?. Self centered much?

Not at all. My issue is when I can't go to the cinema with friends because the film is in 3D. Not to mention the fact that 3D has been tried time and time again and it seems to always end up being a novelty rather than improving the film.
  • Like 2

The problem is, sure yeah, there are 3D movies that look cool and awesome.

it's just that even with the best 3D screens today, they're not comfortable, and I actually watch 3D movies every now and again.

a 2D movie allows you to focus on what's on the screen and "see" it. on a 3D movie, you can't focus on stuff and you lose details in the picture amidst the "depth". I'd never watch a movie ONLY in 3D and preferably not in 3D the first time around. you lose so much of the movie for a fancy effect. 

If the choice is good cinematography OR 3D, then yes, it needs to die. and sadly, that is usually the case :/

• Like 2

Minus glasses? Maybe then I would try it again, although that still won't change much for me. 3D distracts me from the film, my eyes can't focus properly. Having gone to the cinema a couple of times with friends, I've always found myself watching the film with one eye closed.

I understand that some people find 3D to be brilliant, but I'll continue to watch my films in 2D.

Not at all. My issue is when I can't go to the cinema with friends because the film is in 3D. Not to mention the fact that 3D has been tried time and time again and it seems to always end up being a novelty rather than improving the film.

3D Glasses for now...  Glasses-free 3D is coming within 2 or 5 years but I am not really sure if some glasses-free is out now.  My brother has glasses for his 3D viewing.

The problem is, sure yeah, there are 3D movies that look cool and awesome.

it's just that even with the best 3D screens today, they're not comfortable, and I actually watch 3D movies every now and again.

a 2D movie allows you to focus on what's on the screen and "see" it. on a 3D movie, you can't focus on stuff and you lose details in the picture amidst the "depth". I'd never watch a movie ONLY in 3D and preferably not in 3D the first time around. you lose so much of the movie for a fancy effect. 

If the choice is good cinematography OR 3D, then yes, it needs to die. and sadly, that is usually the case :/

3D movies can be good at the cinemas, but at home, it's way better than cinemas depends on the equipments you have.

Cinemas sometimes have ghost images in the 3D depends on their equipments.

3D Glasses for now...  Glasses-free 3D is coming within 2 or 5 years but I am not really sure if some glasses-free is out now.  My brother has glasses for his 3D viewing.

3D movies can be good at the cinemas, but at home, it's way better than cinemas depends on the equipments you have.

Cinemas sometimes have ghost images in the 3D depends on their equipments.

That's completely backwards

At home you have TWO options(well unless you're rich and can afford a dual/quad/octo projector setup.

you either have active glasses, that quality wise is the best option. unfortunately they also suffer from flickering in bright areas no matter how good and fast the glasses are.

Or you have passive, no flickering, but visible interlacing in the picture quality as well as a bigger likelyhood of seeing ghost images in the objects that have extreme separation due to distance. 

At the movie theaters, you generally also have two options

Cheap crap theaters who added on 3D as an after thought will use active glasses, and give you the same quality and issues as active glasses in your home setup

quality theaters will use dual projectors with polarized glasses, unlike passive TV's that use  interlacing, these can actually project the foll image on top of each other, so you have no quality loss and you have the full left and right image in 0 and 90 degree polarization at the same time. THIS IS the best 3D you can get. technically it will be better than glasses free 3D as well for the next 10+ years as they will use some form of interlacing. 

Of course NONE of these technologies no matter how good, solve the problem I mentioned earlier with lack of focus and detail in the pictures, or especially the bad cinematography that's prevalent and sometimes even necessary in 3D. 

I was right about my gut feeling for 3D as fad and I will be right about my gut feeling about tablet fad on desktop computers. 

That's completely backwards

At home you have TWO options(well unless you're rich and can afford a dual/quad/octo projector setup.

you either have active glasses, that quality wise is the best option. unfortunately they also suffer from flickering in bright areas no matter how good and fast the glasses are.

Or you have passive, no flickering, but visible interlacing in the picture quality as well as a bigger likelyhood of seeing ghost images in the objects that have extreme separation due to distance. 

At the movie theaters, you generally also have two options

Cheap crap theaters who added on 3D as an after thought will use active glasses, and give you the same quality and issues as active glasses in your home setup

quality theaters will use dual projectors with polarized glasses, unlike passive TV's that use  interlacing, these can actually project the foll image on top of each other, so you have no quality loss and you have the full left and right image in 0 and 90 degree polarization at the same time. THIS IS the best 3D you can get. technically it will be better than glasses free 3D as well for the next 10+ years as they will use some form of interlacing. 

Of course NONE of these technologies no matter how good, solve the problem I mentioned earlier with lack of focus and detail in the pictures, or especially the bad cinematography that's prevalent and sometimes even necessary in 3D. 

Not backwards to me.. 

Best views at home, period. This includes you can view any angle. And motion pictures are sharp... crisp. etc.

Cinemas are sometimes good, sometimes crap depends on on how the films are made and the equipments are used at the cinemas.

Most of time, movies can be seen with ghost images in 3D at cinemas. 

No problems at home.  

2D movies are best in IMAX cinemas.

3D has been "coming soon" since the 70s, they still haven't worked out the kinks in it (You need glasses for starters, the "glasses free" stuff only works from specific locations, otherwise you see both images at once), and only a few directors actually know how to use it properly.

• Like 1

Extreme HD XP

3D has been "coming soon" since the 70s, they still haven't worked out the kinks in it (You need glasses for starters, the "glasses free" stuff only works from specific locations, otherwise you see both images at once), and only a few directors actually know how to use it properly.

It's older than that I believe, I remember some '50's monochrome movies that featured 3d, so long as you had the red/green glasses

I enjoy the 3D movies, and have alot of them. I want to know when we dont need glasses! If anything i want a setup like the movie "Her"