Which router? Asus RT-AC3200, Linksys EA9200 or Netgeat R8000

I am using Belkin AC1200DB Wireless Router, thinking of upgrading the router to AC3200 tri-band, I would like to choose from Asus RT-AC3200, Linksys EA9200 or Netgeat R8000. I would like to know these three routers which one is the best.

The built quality of ASUS is second to none, brilliant routers and they continuously pump out new firmware bringing new features.

That tri band ###### is just another marketing ploy..  How many wireless devices do you have??  And how many are going to be in range of your 5ghz signal?  How many of them are 3x3 client devices?

They just keep adding bands together to get their numbers up.. even though they all know is BS.. There is no client that can use 2.4 and 5ghz or bond 2 5s together so saying its a 3200 or 2700 is just nonsense..  its 1300+1300+600, not 3200..

How many devices do you have currently, how many of them are even AC?  Why do you need/want a new router?  Is it the wireless coverage or something else the router doesn't do?  If its feature your looking for - breaking out to actual router and APs gives you router/firewall features and then the wireless coverage where you need it vs everything in 1 box.

What is your internet speed btw?  Do you do wireless to wireless streaming or moving of files?  /2 any of those pipe dream speeds they give you on each band even if you had a 3x3 client, and then /2 it again since your wireless to wireless.

That tri band ###### is just another marketing ploy..  How many wireless devices do you have??  And how many are going to be in range of your 5ghz signal?  How many of them are 3x3 client devices?

They just keep adding bands together to get their numbers up.. even though they all know is BS.. There is no client that can use 2.4 and 5ghz or bond 2 5s together so saying its a 3200 or 2700 is just nonsense..  its 1300+1300+600, not 3200..

How many devices do you have currently, how many of them are even AC?  Why do you need/want a new router?  Is it the wireless coverage or something else the router doesn't do?  If its feature your looking for - breaking out to actual router and APs gives you router/firewall features and then the wireless coverage where you need it vs everything in 1 box.

What is your internet speed btw?  Do you do wireless to wireless streaming or moving of files?  /2 any of those pipe dream speeds they give you on each band even if you had a 3x3 client, and then /2 it again since your wireless to wireless.

Always happy when Budman backs up what I say (kinda') - makes me feel like a network guru :D

The only cool thing with tri band would be using 1 of the bands as wireless uplink.  Now if you could do 3x3 wireless uplink and then still provide 2.4 and 5 ghz bands in the area of that AP that would be kind of slick but I doubt their firmware has such features.

Lets look at realistic value you get from say the 1300 they say you get..  Lets call it best possible 60% of 2x2 since I doubt you really have a mobile 3x3 client - I don't think there is any at all yet.  So if at 80 mhz channels you would have 866 in theory.  So *.6 your looking at 519.. Now /2 that if your wireless to wireless your 250 if all the stars are aligned, etc.

That is with only 2 clients.. Any more clients and that number is shared among all of them..

Don't fall for the hype of bigger numbers.. Its unlikely to make your wifi faster.. Be it they call it a 1750, 2700, 3200 router..

The only way to legitly bond is to use NIC TEAMS in Server 2012 R2 and use two or more wireless NICs to do it like the following:

post-361542-0-83898400-1431776902.png

(Note: this screenshot of mine is actually bonding a wired + wireless, but you get the picture!!)

But you are most likely not gonna do this on a laptop so :p

Oh BTW the reported "10Gbps" speed is becuase the wireless adapter is for hyper-v stuff and the Virtual switch makes it all "10Gbps" for some reason.

It's really an AC1200 class adapter (750+300) :)

This is on my media server for failover and higher transfer speed till I rebuild it and put my dual intel nics in it since I need another mobo to do it since my other mobo died. (This only has PCI-E x16 slot and no x1 :( )

Why would anyone ever bound a wireless and wired adapter together??  They are no where close to each other in performance and speed, etc. etc.  Like bonding a 10mbps interface to a gig..

Why would anyone ever bound a wireless and wired adapter together??  They are no where close to each other in performance and speed, etc. etc.  Like bonding a 10mbps interface to a gig..

I was thinking the same damn thing.. wtf.. lol

post-61856-0-74430700-1431777933.png

When you got a fitsty-ass d-link "enterprise" switch that potatoes very frequently :p like mine....

saving up for a proper PoE switch like a Cisco one so :p

Ok now you got my curiosity up, why does a server/computer/vmhost have to be connected to a poe switch?

d-link doesn't make "enterprise" anything ;) hehhehe -- sorry just couldn't resist the joke you laid out there...

• Like 2

The eth is for more B/W and in case the wifi does stuff lol.

I always put ""s when it comes to d-link

what??  what does B/W have to do with POE?  what would the wifi be doing.. I can not see running a "server" of any kind with wifi.. Other than maybe some sort of out of band access..

what??  what does B/W have to do with POE?  what would the wifi be doing.. I can not see running a "server" of any kind with wifi.. Other than maybe some sort of out of band access..

it's temporary till I got a proper server lol.

Still at a complete loss of what your wanting to do or trying to do.. You say your switch sucks so you have wifi as failover was my guess?.  But that you need a POE switch?  Then you say your using the switch for B/W (bandwidth?)  But now its temporary until you get a proper server???

Are you on medication of some kind?

Why does any server need a POE?  Why do you want/need a poe switch (power over ethernet) for a server?  Do you have poe devices?  Phones, APs?

What does the server have to do with a ###### switch?  Completely lost here..

Maybe the meows are getting lost in translation.. When you translate from meows to english make sure you pick the correct breed in google translate - calico is completely different than Siamese for example..  Its like high German and Bavarian.. Or a guy from Boston trying to converse with someone from Cajun Country..

Still at a complete loss of what your wanting to do or trying to do.. You say your switch sucks so you have wifi as failover was my guess?.  But that you need a POE switch?  Then you say your using the switch for B/W (bandwidth?)  But now its temporary until you get a proper server???

Are you on medication of some kind?

Why does any server need a POE?  Why do you want/need a poe switch (power over ethernet) for a server?  Do you have poe devices?  Phones, APs?

What does the server have to do with a ###### switch?  Completely lost here..

Maybe the meows are getting lost in translation.. When you translate from meows to english make sure you pick the correct breed in google translate - calico is completely different than Siamese for example..  Its like high German and Bavarian.. Or a guy from Boston trying to converse with someone from Cajun Country..

I use the POE switch for APs. 3 of them :p the server just happens to be connected to the same switch.

and I only posted the pic as the ONLY way to legitly bond two wireless NICs to two networks to get more b/w k... lol

I have the 2 Asus RT-AC68P and it's by far the best router I have owned.

Over the years I have used Buffalo, D-Link, Netgear and now Asus in that order and the Asus is my favorite by a long shot :)

The Asus RT-AC68P is rock stable, easy to set up and great rage and performance.

Ok now we are getting somewhere - 3 poe AP, ok a poe switch might make sense - but prob just use injectors for such a small amount of devices.  Or really small poe switch - 5 porter and then non poe switch for other stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-TPE-TG50g-5-Port-Gigabit-Switch/dp/B00LP3E05C

or there is 8 port model with 4 poe/poe+ and 4 normal

What specific APs do you have??  Those poe switches are under $100, pretty much anyone that can afford 3 AP in the house could buy them at any time.  What are you waiting for?  Especially if you have a switch that you feel is flaky?  Then get a normal smart/managed switch with the number of non poe ports for your other stuff.

You could go with say a sg300-10P for about $250 or a GS110TP 8 port poe for about $150, you have 3 poe devices - you don't need a 24 port poe switch for big bucks, etc.

As to your teaming them, how exactly do you team the 2.4 band radio and the 5 band radio in the same card together?  So you have to have 2 wifi cards in your method.  Once you team them how do you join the wifi network?