R* is leaving Grand Theft Auto V switchable graphics gamers out in the cold

For over a month, reports have been piling up on the official Rockstar and Steam support forums of users who are not able to play GTA V with Laptops that utilize switchable graphics due to a bug in the game.

The issue only seems to affect switchable graphics configurations that have an AMD and Intel GPU resulting in the game not able to launch.

Whilst previous R* games such as Max Payne 3 experienced no issues with such devices, desperate users are turning to community made

Rockstar is as small company - they simply do not have the resources or the manpower to fix such issues.

• Like 2

Rockstar is as small company - they simply do not have the resources or the manpower to fix such issues.

I would not call Take-Two small. It's not EA but it's not a small publisher either.

Not a driver issue unfortunately.

GTA V just seems to have issues with switchable cards in general. Even some Nvidia / Intel combos but less so.

I recall an earlier patch trying to fix Nvidia Optimus cards but they must have forgot about AMD :D.

Older Rockstar games do not suffer from this issue.

• Like 1

No news doesn't mean they're not working on it. It just means there's... no news!  What's the point on saying anything if they've not fixed it yet? Sheesh... People today.. It's all "NOW! NOW! NOW!" 

• Like 2

No news doesn't mean they're not working on it. It just means there's... no news!  What's the point on saying anything if they've not fixed it yet? Sheesh... People today.. It's all "NOW! NOW! NOW!" 

Yeah a 2 year old game. Multiple delays .... "now now now generation" .. makes sense ; )

• Like 1

Did you forget an /s or was it implied? I don't care what size the development firm is, if you don't have manpower to fix bugs, go work at McDonalds and leave development to the big boys.

Rockstar have sales in the billions of dollars for GTA, I wouldn't quite call that small.

"Grand Theft Auto V broke industry sales records and became the fastest-selling entertainment product in history, earning US$800 million in its first day and US$1 billion in its first three days."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_V

• Like 1

Yeah a 2 year old game. Multiple delays .... "now now now generation" .. makes sense ; )

It's not 2 years old on the PC, and that's all that counts as far as this problem is concerned.  Besides, it's not even 2 years old on consoles, it's 20 months old, a little over a year and a half.

It's not 2 years old on the PC, and that's all that counts as far as this problem is concerned.  Besides, it's not even 2 years old on consoles, it's 20 months old, a little over a year and a half.

And that changes the situation .. how exactly?

• Like 1

And that changes the situation .. how exactly?

The game came out in April, it's now May.  Some bugs just take time to identify and fix. Try learning a new skill, known as patience.

• Like 2

:rolleyes:

This is surprising how ?

R* won't care, they don't even bother optimizing their games slightly expecting gamers willing t play their games on low to medium settings to have a brand new gaming rig, because "screw optimizing"

• Like 1

The game came out in April, it's now May.  Some bugs just take time to identify and fix. Try learning a new skill, known as patience.

You wouldn't happen to work for Rockstar would you?!

You wouldn't happen to work for Rockstar would you?!

Nope, but I -am- a professional developer; have been for the last 25 years, so I speak from experience. Some things can't be fixed overnight.

• Like 2

:rofl:   i mean, they are even called ROCKSTAR

and they develop and make money like a damn rockstar.

if they wanted to i bet they can release GTA V with upgrades way before.    and still make tons of money.   but not the briefcases of cash they experienced.

people blame cd projekt red for selling out, but compared to rockstar, they are pc gaming gods....

:rofl:   i mean, they are even called ROCKSTAR

and they develop and make money like a damn rockstar.

if they wanted to i bet they can release GTA V with upgrades way before.    and still make tons of money.   but not the briefcases of cash they experienced.

people blame cd project red for selling out, but compared to rockstar, they are pc gaming gods....

Huell-Money-Breaking-Bad.gif

As long as they use some of that money to make Max Payne 4.

Really loved the multiplayer in that game.

Nope, but I -am- a professional developer; have been for the last 25 years, so I speak from experience. Some things can't be fixed overnight.

I'm a developer as well. This would classify as a show stopper (ie given full attention). This is common enough as many people are now using laptops to game on. A lot of these laptops have switchable GPUs. Even my work laptop has a switchable GPU. Also, the fact that a someone not from R* put out a hotfix that has helped some people (which is no small feat as disassembling is a pain in the ass) just goes to show that the company doesn't give a damn.

I'm a developer as well. This would classify as a show stopper (ie given full attention). This is common enough as many people are now using laptops to game on. A lot of these laptops have switchable GPUs. Even my work laptop has a switchable GPU. Also, the fact that a someone not from R* put out a hotfix that has helped some people (which is no small feat as disassembling is a pain in the ass) just goes to show that the company doesn't give a damn.

I would classify as show stopper as a bug that kept the game from launching on the majority of users.  A bug that impact a VERY VERY small minority is in no way a high priority issue for them.

I would classify as show stopper as a bug that kept the game from launching on the majority of users.  A bug that impact a VERY VERY small minority is in no way a high priority issue for them.

Wow. so you know that Laptop users with AMD graphics cards are a "VERY VERY small minority" while they're fare from a majority, I'd say that would be a fairly sizeable group and a bug that should NEVER exist on a launch game.

but then again, this is R*, they have no problems launching with major show stoppers. 

I highly doubt laptop users are a very very small minority.

It's also not just AMD from what I've read. It's just NVIDIA have an ok workaround whereas AMD don't.