Microsoft will bypass carriers, push Windows 10 updates directly to phones

If they finally get third parties jump on board to provide more big name titles then this will give Microsoft the edge over Android - all the hardware variety of Android at different price points but without the uncertainty of whether you'll receive an update because the OEM cannot be figged or because the carrier has decided to behave like a douchebag. At this point I'd love to see a law passed in the US that prohibits carriers from installing crapware or modifying the phone in any way and disallow them from deciding whether an update should or shouldn't be allowed.

Seeing how MS is pretty much Windows on phones at this point, Lumia making up 95%, then pushing updates on it's own is less of an issue since, like apple, they have direct control over the hardware to, now at least.  And the rest of the OEMs that ship have low-end phones that end up on PAYG in the US or in other parts of the world where carriers are less of a issue when it comes to updates.

Besides, if that low-end $100 or $50 WP doesn't get the newest OS update I don't think you'd feel much of a let down compared to say, that $500 flagship not getting it.

Seeing how MS is pretty much Windows on phones at this point, Lumia making up 95%, then pushing updates on it's own is less of an issue since, like apple, they have direct control over the hardware to, now at least.  And the rest of the OEMs that ship have low-end phones that end up on PAYG in the US or in other parts of the world where carriers are less of a issue when it comes to updates.

Besides, if that low-end $100 or $50 WP doesn't get the newest OS update I don't think you'd feel much of a let down compared to say, that $500 flagship not getting it.

It isn't just about getting the 'newest OS' but about making sure that bug and security fixes are made available ASAP because right now it is criminal that there are so many Android devices that are ticking time bomb's when it comes to peoples private information that could be hacked because OEM's/Carrier's can't be bothered deploying updates.