OEMs can't compete with the Surface and that may be bad.

In Q4, 2014, the Surface accounts for over a third of all the Windows tablets shipment.

Since the Surface 2 was previously discontinued, this means that the Surface Pro 3 accounts for over 1/3 of the shipment of Windows tablets.

This is particularly shocking since there are many sub-$100 Windows tablets on the market and the Surface Pro 3 starts at $799.

The Surface 3 which starts at $499 would likely push the shipment of the Surface even higher.

The problem is that with OEMs unable to compete, it's up to Microsoft to push forward Windows tablets.

If Microsoft stumbles, so will Windows tablets.

The problem I noticed with other OEMs that produce Windows tablets is that they have the "HTC's problem".  That is, they lack the vertical integration of Samsung.

Samsung can produce makes screens, memory, storage, chips, radios while other OEMs (except maybe LG and some Chinese OEMs) can't.

Most (if not all) of the OEMs that produce Windows tablets have been building those tablets from off-the-shelf parts.

Sure, Microsoft also doesn't the vertical integration of Samsung, but Microsoft has the necessary fund to order whatever custom parts it wants, but its OEMs doesn't.

I think that the real problem is that the platform (Windows on a tablet) is not selling enough to make a substantial investment in design.  That is why you are seeing these generic tablets.  Microsoft has a significant interest and capital to invest in designing and innovative product such as a surface.

• Like 2

My problem with them is they are practically all 1280x800 or something lousy like that unless you spend $.  I can get a Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HDX with better specs for cheap.

I'm no huge fan of Android, but that in itself is a big roadblock for me.  I assume I'm not the only one.

I don't know if it'll apply equally to the Win10 tabs but we'll have to see.

• Like 2

me thinks Surface are the new 80's Apple computer.

meaning...?

I think that the real problem is that the platform (Windows on a tablet) is not selling enough to make a substantial investment in design.  

Neither apparently does android.

OEM can't compete because most are too busy bundling crapware instead of putting some thought in design, drivers and software.

OEM can't compete because most are too busy bundling crapware instead of putting some thought in design, drivers and software.

to be fair, bundling crapware did makes money, but designing, programming drivers are the total opposite.

to be fair, bundling crapware did makes money, but designing, programming drivers are the total opposite.

You can't sell something that you haven't invested in.

Sorry, but that's just weak on the OEM part. The Surface tablets are great but there are plenty of things OEMs can do to make their offerings unique and that doesn't include useless bloatware.

Neither apparently does android.

You mean 66% of the entire tablet market isn't enough to justify investment? What are you smoking, because I'd like some.

When you have no vested interest in making the tablet market succeed, and an interest in minimizing expenditures for shareholders, you end up with sub $100 tablets. This is, IMO, one of the reasons why Dell going private was such a good idea.

The Surface 3 has significantly improved the situation for Windows tablets. Before its release, there was nothing substantial at $499.

There were cheap Windows tablets and then there were those north of $799.

The market (of Windows tablets) right now is best characterized as a one-horse race.

• Like 1

This is probably a big part of it. With the Surface line, you're pretty much guaranteed a premium, junk-free experience. Although my mom is quite happy with her Signature Edition HP Stream 8, since it's also junk-free.

I wish Nokia were still in the game. The one Lumia tablet that they made had an almost absurdly bright screen and was of course on par with the striking design and good build quality of flagship Lumia phones. Unfortunately, it was hobbled by RT, and there was never an x86 successor. It's unfortunate that they couldn't stick around long enough to launch a competitor (or even beat Microsoft) to the Surface 3, which is a decent mid-range device that probably pulls off being a tablet better than the SP3.

I wish Nokia were still in the game. The one Lumia tablet that they made had an almost absurdly bright screen and was of course on par with the striking design and good build quality of flagship Lumia phones. Unfortunately, it was hobbled by RT, and there was never an x86 successor. It's unfortunate that they couldn't stick around long enough to launch a competitor (or even beat Microsoft) to the Surface 3, which is a decent mid-range device that probably pulls off being a tablet better than the SP3.

The division still exist as Microsoft Mobile Oy.

And yes, I do think it should release more tablets to give a least some pseudo competitions.

Lots of the cheap sub $200 tablets aren't worth it, lots of them get returned because they're so bad, and this isn't just Windows, most of them are crappy Android tablets.   While this is anecdotal evidence on my part, my cousin got a cheap android tablet as a gift for her son, one he didn't like, while he's crazy for her iPad.  She went back and returned it after the holidays to end up in a line with others who were all returning the same cheap android tablet. 

Why don't other OEMs do better? Because of a few factors, lower price alone doesn't cut it, they won't tell you what these return rates are on tablets but I'm sure you can all guess.  If you look at the top sellers of tablets, it's no surprise Apple is at the top, and they're iPad is not cheap at all.  Second it's Samsung, and the Galaxy tab isn't cheap either, unless you wait and get one of the older models.    The other factor here is that people don't treat tablets like they do cell phones, they do not have a high refresh cycle, no  one is buying a new tablet every year, they are treated more like traditional PCs and held on to longer.  It's no surprise the top OEMs, Apple most of all, are all losing share in the tablet space, only MS, Lenovo and maybe one other managed to gain share while Apple continues to drop quarter after quarter, and Samsung is no better off.

This is also why MS is in no rush to release a Surface Pro 4,  they're going to do it, just not quick because the buying cycle isn't that of phones, you don't need to have a new device out every 6-8 months.

Having cheap devices is nice, for those who don't have enough money, but we could use more $250-$300 tablets with some good specs, maybe OEMs will see more success that way.  It doesn't help that the new intel Core -M line costs so much either, $200 just for the CPU, yikes.

Seems like ASUS has brought out some damn good convertibles in the last year as well.  I don't know about the rest of the market, to be honest.  They seem to be playing catch up there but there is some good kit about.

Surface Pro 4 might even be ready and just waiting for Windows 10 for all we know.

• Like 1

Agreed - most sub $200.00 tablets are not worth it, no matter the O/S. I came close to buying an iPad at Costco this weekend, but figured I'd rather save the money for a Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10 when it's available.

You mean 66% of the entire tablet market isn't enough to justify investment? What are you smoking, because I'd like some.

I still don't get Android on tablets, aside from the Kindle fire.

I still don't get Android on tablets, aside from the Kindle fire.

I still don't get Windows on tablets.  If you can get an ultra book that is the same size, what is the point?

removable keyboard, can use as a writing tablet when keyboard is folded over or removed with the built in one note app on the pro 3.  pen is pretty nice.  hardware is pretty decent and priced similar to high end touch ultrabooks from lenovo (x1 carbon), hp (elitebook folio 1040 g1), etc.

I still don't get Windows on tablets.  If you can get an ultra book that is the same size, what is the point?

Access to Office docs, all major streaming platforms, all major browsers, software apps etc. With Apple you get access to their entire ecosystem. Windows tablets are even more expansive. Android tablets... you get access to Google Play.

My opinion, im entitled to it. :)

Access to Office docs, all major streaming platforms, all major browsers, software apps etc. With Apple you get access to their entire ecosystem. Windows tablets are even more expansive. Android tablets... you get access to Google Play.

My opinion, im entitled to it. :)

Both Windows tablets and Ultra Books can run the same stuff.  I was not comparing to Apple or Android.

Both Windows tablets and Ultra Books can run the same stuff.  I was not comparing to Apple or Android.

In other words, you are not a believer in tablet computers?