Is there anything Windows 10 does better?

I turned my back to Microsofts products some years ago.

I am mainly using Mac OSX and Linux, but even i have to say, they are really trying to clean up the mess they did with Windows 8.

The most positive thing for me is they are this time really actually listening to feedback. And not only feedback from their nearest "partners" but also from every consumer testing the beta.

I'm sure the defenders will now be out with the usual 'its not final, it's just a beta, magical internal Redmond builds are much better' which we've been hearing since the beginning, yet are still to see any actual new features.

I'm sure the haters will now be out with the usual 'its as final as it gets, it's not only an early beta months away from release or even yet in the fine tuning process, lame internal Redmond builds are the same as this, because Microsoft engineers only are sitting around on their sorrow asses. 

Hate for Windows 10 will keep on pouring in. The UI of Windows 10 is not universally liked yet.

But the screenshots of build 10125 look promising.

There are other features too, such as Battery Saver. Previous versions of Windows did not offer this level of granularity or provide detailed and relevant information about applications, components, and services that use energy resources.
post-483058-0-10061900-1432505517.pngpost-483058-0-10506300-1432505518.pngpost-483058-0-53393500-1432505519.pngpost-483058-0-83890800-1432505542.png

I like how OP mentions DX12 and then goes on to say "no such thing as performance improvements in Windows 10!"

I don't think DX12 will magically make games run better or faster. At the end of the day you still need good video card.

• Like 2

I don't think DX12 will magically make games run better or faster. At the end of the day you still need good video card.

Correct. And I would hazard a guess that besides first party Microsoft games, there won't be many games at all that use the DX12 API until at least another 2-3 years.

Most games will continue to use DX11 for the foreseeable future. 

So the DX12 performance improvements will only apply to those handful of games that use the DX12 APIs. 

Moving to Windows 10 is nothing more than getting a new car. Sure, your old car will get you from point A to pint B, the same as you new car. Your old car might break down and the parts are no longer available, except from a 3rd party supplier, and they are cheap and inferior.

However your new car is nice and shinny, parts are easy to find. You don't need to take it to the shop nearly as much as the old beater. It just runs smoother.

There is nothing saying your old beater can't do everything your new beater will do, but your new beater will do it in class.

So, does Windows 10 do things better, it really depends on what you are doing, and if you have the extra cash to keep that old beater on the road...

Nonsense! DirectX12 will part seas, cure cancer, and fix the economy! :p

But seriously, Windows 10 has a lot of neat little things to it and decent refinements that are much needed for Windows. Granted, the interface is still nightmarish, but it's coming together. It can't possibly be worse than the frankenstein that is Windows 8, can it?

(I still like Windows 8 but there are some seriously screwy aspects between functionality and the UI)

I still think windows 7 was the pinnacle of desktop systems for the average gamer, power user, business user. Perhaps a bit complicated for the average 'dumbed down' population as has been seen by the simplification of modern games but nothing any 5 year old couldn't figure out.

I'm not stubborn though and have upgraded with each new release... actually microsoft offering keys for $20 is the only reason I upgraded to windows 8 otherwise I'd still be on 7. I'm looking to build a rig and don't want to pay more than $20 for a new license so I'm hoping MS has some deal come along for a bit.

The other 3 keys I paid $20 each for I'll take the free upgrade they're giving.

Cant honestly answer your question due to 3 reasons.

1) Im not a timelord

2) I don't own a Delorean

3) W10 Final is not out.

One thing I will say for the TPs and IP releases so far, they run smoother on all of the test machines ive tried than W7 and 8/8.1 did, mid to low end devices. Its given an old Lenevo X201S a new lease of life over W7. that's quite impressive in itself on a beta.

untrue mate.

MS have already confirmed that while a card may not support all of the DX12 expanded feature set, direct hardware access will benefit ALL graphics cards that support Direct X to a degree.

Less overheads between code and hardware, even technically to Intels HD series, now of course how much of a boost each iteration will receive is variable, but a boost none the less. It aint gonna make a NV GT210 match a titan X obviously (probably a bit of a silly comparison, but its relevant)

Cant honestly answer your question due to 3 reasons.

1) Im not a timelord

2) I don't own a Delorean

3) W10 Final is not out.

One thing I will say for the TPs and IP releases so far, they run smoother on all of the test machines ive tried than W7 and 8/8.1 did, mid to low end devices. Its given an old Lenevo X201S a new lease of life over W7. that's quite impressive in itself on a beta.

That is precisely why I looked FOR ex-Vista and ex-7 notebooks for the test pool - these are the notebooks that are being tossed over for tablets and phablets (and even newer smartphones) by every sort of user from large businesses and enterprises to home users and small business.  To be honest, I was not expecting anything earth-shaking from the old hardware - however, I was pleasantly surprised by what I was able to discover.

1,  Virtualization

As we are becoming aware of, virtualization is big (and getting bigger), and especially for garage developers, students, etc.  Problem is, not every student can afford a Surface.  I knew that AMD 's Fusion APUs supported Hyper-V - however, the knock on those was their underwhelming performance compared to Intel CPUs.  That may be an issue for desktop-targeting virtualization; however, what about mobile projects (specifically, Android development)?  You don't need beefy CPUs for that; further, you have a no-cost set of developer tools that fit right in the low-end wheelhouse of AMD Fusion, Turion II, or Intel PentiumG - Visual Studio Community.  At WORST, you may want an SSD for the notebook however, 500GB SSDs aren't exactly spendy any more.

2.  Driver support

The ONLY drivers I had to hunt for - for EITHER notebook - were their graphics drivers; however, where to get those was known.  Otherwise, all the hardware - including their respective trackpads - was supported.  The trackpad support is better - in either case - than previous versions of Windows - which is why I hit the ceiling with 10074.  (It's not like the trackpads were from the same ODM - despite the notebooks both being from HP.)  While Windows is known for decent driver support, these notebooks DID have some age on them - therefore, it's quite pleasing to have an extremely-minimal driver search to install a new OS on an old notebook.

3.  Old Notebooks for New Uses

With Windows 10, the question isn't why reclaim an old notebook (and likely find a new use for it) - but why not, if only to keep the recycling center from bursting at the seams?

Having read this thread I get the impression that 3rd party cusomisation shall be more successful than anything.

NG - that is something that has been the case with Windows going back to 9x and NT - the sine qua non example is Stardock itself.

It is precisely BECAUSE of my experiences with Stardock (and other companies in the space) that I dismissed aesthetic arguments concerning Windows as largely irrelevant.

What stops you from using VMWare Workstation on Windows 8.1? How is that even relevant to the discussion?

Depends on the user's use case possibly... Hard to say...

But you can't run VMWare Workstation on Windows 8.1 when Hyper-V is enabled. As once Hyper-V is enabled Windows itself is booted as a VM on top of Hyper-V.

Depends on the user's use case possibly... Hard to say...

That may well be, but I thought that the statement was made to take a jab at Windows 8.1, just like the rest of the statements in that post were.