Does Ellis sound like a Girls or Boys name?

67 members have voted

1. 1. Does Ellis sound like a Girls or Boys name?

• Boy
    • Girl
    • Unisex

I think it's more of a boy's name but could go either way.  Maybe you're making a similarity between "Alice" and "Ellis"?

my fears are being confirmed lol

Hardly. The poll results would seem to disagree :)  78% of respondents believe it to be either a boys name, or unisex.

Maybe those who think it sounds girly are just thinking that because they're reading and pronouncing it "Alice" in their heads.

Pronounce it El - iss not Al - iss, there's a subtle but distinct difference. Plus one of my friends' brother is called Ellis so I guess I'm used to it being a male name.

Edit: Bloo Monkey beat me to that reasoning.

im in the uk and ellis is a girls name but hey depends on what part of the world you come from some people still name their children Jesus so anyway its your call  by the way ellis is short for (ellizer) the guy that met his demise in platoon the movie held his arms up to the world  if you remember ! in america elizer is a boys name also just like codey is a boys and girls name 

my fears are being confirmed lol

just think about this thread and all the different ways people have for pronouncing the name and picture the annoyance your son or daughter will have in the future. Remember they'll be stuck with it and in a way it may even define them.

Anywho In my head I pronounced it L-isss and thought it was a girls name

just think about this thread and all the different ways people have for pronouncing the name and picture the annoyance your son or daughter will have in the future. Remember they'll be stuck with it and in a way it may even define them.

Anywho In my head I pronounced it L-isss and thought it was a girls name

Yep, my thoughts exactly. It's not looking good.

I should be seeing <5% thinking it's a girls name before I'd feel good about it. Which may sound like wishful thinking but I'm betting that people who would confuse "Mark" for sounding like a girls name is <1% and even popular unisex names would also have a very low female rating since it's well established that it's unisex. Ellis is not a well established name.

These numbers are confirming my fears and my Wife will certainly hear about this! lol. Thanks everyone.

Should pick a more manly name like Chris, or Pat, or Joe, or Sam.

That said, a good friend of mine has a young son named Ellis.

I always considered "Ellis" a boys name... but I never really put too much thought into it before this!