Does Ellis sound like a Girls or Boys name?

67 members have voted

1. 1. Does Ellis sound like a Girls or Boys name?

• Boy
    • Girl
    • Unisex

I've been discussing with my Wife for months now on whether or not we'd name our kid Ellis if he's a boy. She's absolutely crazy about it but I just can't get passed how girly it sounds.

So, I bring it to Neowin to help me decide.

Does Ellis sound like a Girls name or a Boys name?

Not sure what the question is? Historically, its a boy's name. There are some historical figures, all men, with the name Ellis, and even some contemporary public figures, like Ellis Henican. Emily Bronte even wrote under the pen name of Ellis Bell, because it was understood as a man's name.

Are you asking whether it sounds girly?

I've been discussing with my Wife for months now on whether or not we'd name our kid Ellis if he's a boy. She's absolutely crazy about it but I just can't get passed how girly it sounds.

Is Ellis a Girls name or a Boys name?

you are so right.  please, for the love of your boy, don't name him ellis

it sounds like Alice.  Tell me, is Alice a boy or girl name???

because all the young kids will read it as Alice.

this name is past it's due date, it is just not trendy or interesting to name a boy that. 

why does you wife even like it?

Good call, you're right. I'm asking if it sounds girly.

yes,  yes it does.       for older folks, it might not, but i am sure this is how all the young kids are going to call him. Alice

why would you pick it for a boy?

• Like 1

this name is past it's due date, it is just not trendy or interesting to name a boy that. 

why does you wife even like it?

She likes how classy it sounds. She's quite posh, as is her family.

Actually, I think of girl 1st, but not strange for a boy either. 

She likes how classy it sounds. She's quite posh, as is her family.

tell her to find a better posh name ;)        it cannot be the only one.  get one that sounds more acceptable for a boy.

i am sure as a man he will not care, but as a boy, he might.

I was trying to compromise and use the name Eli, which she's not totally against. I can perhaps use this thread as an indication that we're putting our potential son on the path of bullyinisation.

I was trying to compromise and use the name Eli, which she's not totally against. I can perhaps use this thread as an indication that we're putting our potential son on the path of bullyinisation.

Eli sound way better, I agree.

I'll throw in a vote for Both as it can be used either way, Just like some guys named Lyndsey or Tracie, but historically, I've only heard it as a boy's name

In french it doesn't sound girly at all.

If you want a man sounding name you can go with Buck ;)

Does Ellis sound like a Girls name or a Boys name?

Honestly, the first thing that came to mind for me was Ellis Island . . .

Unisex, off the top of my head. If I think further I can only think of boys that have been called Ellis, and that comes with the awesome nickname of "Eli." Well, I think it's awesome.

Edit: "Eli" being pronounced ee-lie, not elly. The pronunciation "elly" could work both ways again. :laugh:

Unisex, off the top of my head. If I think further I can only think of boys that have been called Ellis, and that comes with the awesome nickname of "Eli." Well, I think it's awesome.

Edit: "Eli" being pronounced ee-lie, not elly. The pronunciation "elly" could work both ways again. :laugh:

I really like the name Eli, so hopefully she plays ball. After we're done playing ball, I hope she decides that Eli is a better name. :)

• Like 2