Can't add additional Outlook account in Mail

When I try to add the account, it says looking up information and then the window closes. There is an event log entry written for the crash and an error report sent to Microsoft for it. Only thing I can think of is my account has two factor authentication turned on.

Has anyone else been able to add an additional outlook account?

Ok so your recommendation is to get the "App Password" and use that when I setup my account?

I don't remember having to do this in Windows 8.1 mail... did we?

Yes ... you need to  do get app password in order to work... if don't, your email will fail without your app password.

if you don't want the app password, then turn off the 2 factor authentication

Ok, gotcha. Hopefully their mail client will support two factor by release or soon after.

Ok, gotcha. Hopefully their mail client will support two factor by release or soon after.

No need to wait... all you do is get the app password from your account settings then enter that password in the email account setup in the client ...

so it will work.

what email client are you using?

shozilla, are you sure you aren't confusing Outlook 2016 and the Outlook modern app?

2 factor authentication requires app password for the apps such as email client, xbox, etc..  in order to work... that is simple. 

Not for Modern UI apps, like Mail or Xbox.  If you have two factor authentication set up, then they will prompt for a security code or send a text to your phone.

Desktop email clients can't do this but modern apps can. 

Not for Modern UI apps, like Mail or Xbox.  If you have two factor authentication set up, then they will prompt for a security code or send a text to your phone.

Desktop email clients can't do this but modern apps can. 

he said he add additional account to his client.

I have added a Gmail account, AOL account and Yahoo account to mail. Yahoo is all picky about logging into the same account on multiple machines and wants to send a code everytime I login but thats Yahoo and not the Mail app.

I'm talking about the default Mail application in Windows 10. The new Universal preview one that is installed with the OS...

When I open the Mail app, on the left side I have one mail account already. This is the one associated with my account when I log into Windows. I was able to add a GMAIL account, which has two factor authentication turned on already. When I try to add an additional Outlook email account with Two Factor, I get as far as entering the email and password...then the dialog flashes and goes away.

I'm talking about the default Mail application in Windows 10. The new Universal preview one that is installed with the OS...

When I open the Mail app, on the left side I have one mail account already. This is the one associated with my account when I log into Windows. I was able to add a GMAIL account, which has two factor authentication turned on already. When I try to add an additional Outlook email account with Two Factor, I get as far as entering the email and password...then the dialog flashes and goes away.

That's why you need the app password for that..  not your own login password.

If you want to use your login password, then turn 2 factor authentication off

Yeah, I understand what you are saying. I have used the app password for something else. I was trying to clarify for others and provide more information.

• 3 weeks later...

~

2 factor authentication requires app password for the apps such as email client, xbox, etc..  in order to work... that is simple. 

Btw in case anyone comes back and gets fooled by this piece of misinformation, the Universal mail app DOES NOT require an app password:

http://imgur.com/a/E50W

Don't try to use an app password, you'll just waste your time.