Los Angeles gives preliminary approval to $15 minimum wage

The government is the largest employer in the country. A lot of government spending is figured into the budgets of the vast majority of major corporations in the country. So by suddenly reducing government spending in such a short amount of time, the government would be laying off people at the same time that corporations would be cutting back on their budgets (because of the reduced revenue from the government) and the private sector could not hope to absorb all those people with the same type of jobs in such a short amount of time.

Sorry if I'm missing something here where does cutting back on spending in any way relate to paying a decent livable hourly rate its merely an overused excuse not to do it by all sides, that and the "if we pay you more we have to employ less people" theory of wage negotiation.The one is unrelated to the other the cutting back of spending in government is driven by a recession brought on by the Banks atrocious handling of the economy on the other hand the underpaying and reduction in employment in the private sector is purely driven by profit margins and as my company [for whatever reason] proudly announced "the reduction of costs year upon year".

Governments have always been bad wage payers, in the UK it was somewhat made up for in official positions by a decent retirement pension but even now this is being curtailed as too expensive to sustain.Whilst the top 1% of wages are not falling in any way shape or form the gap between those and the other 99% is quickly widening as they remain stagnant or when oil prices recover by the end of the year will begin to suffer.

Sorry if I'm missing something here where does cutting back on spending in any way relate to paying a decent livable hourly rate its merely an overused excuse not to do it by all sides, that and the "if we pay you more we have to employ less people" theory of wage negotiation.The one is unrelated to the other the cutting back of spending in government is driven by a recession brought on by the Banks atrocious handling of the economy on the other hand the underpaying and reduction in employment in the private sector is purely driven by profit margins and as my company [for whatever reason] proudly announced "the reduction of costs year upon year".

I think perhaps you misunderstood me. I am actually in favor of raising the minimum wage. (I got a little off topic to a certain degree).

As it relates to the minimum wage, my only reason for divergence is that generally whether or not one is for or against the minimum wage depends on a persons economic ideology.

I can think of two reasons that I would argue for the minimum wage, 1)Ethically, 2) Pragmatically.

Ethically, while the bankers and politicians are arguing, human beings are in need. I personally know of people that are working two jobs at minimum wage and have been do so for close to 20 years. Is someone going to argue that they do not deserve to have a raise even just to keep up with the pace of inflation? Ridiculous in my view.

Pragmatically, if people keep falling further behind, social ills will increase which will end up costing society anyway.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear on that. 

And people wonder why so many jobs have gone overseas. The US is pricing themselves right out of the global job market. I buy Made in the USA products whenever I can, but I can see why so many companies pursue cheaper labor. $10 an hour maybe, but $15? Inflating wages artificially like this is just dumb. And I lean left on most issues. Prices for goods and services will simply be raised accordingly and nothing will have been accomplished. Actually, I'm for abolishing the minimum wage altogether. Want a better paying job? Get more skills! Through experience and/or education. We really are becoming a nanny-state.

Seriously!!!!! abolishing the minimum wage wouldn't solve a thing either. i would just widen the gap between the wealthy and the poor. as far as the whole "want a better paying job? get more skills!! is not an option for some. alot of people who are making sub $15 an hour have families to support and due to that don't have time to go to school due to their jobs or family situation nor have the financial means to pay for an education to get these "skills". to change that would cause significant financial burden on these families. Most of these workers are the hardest working people in the work force.

The reason we lose jobs overseas is due to one fact and one fact only....Greed. Those in the executive level would rather line their pockets more for the sake of profit than pay the people who keep their company running by producing the goods they sell instead of paying them what they are worth which is much more than what they are paid now.

Plus i feel that things should change. the ones that work the hardest should get paid more. a person that works his ass off doing landscaping or checking out your groceries/stocking shelves at walmart should get paid as much as or more than the person sitting on their ass handing out money as a bank teller.

• Like 2