Windows WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

This is my first post, so Hey Guys!

So I have never really asked for help with Windows, I am usually really good at trouble shooting problems but this one has just baffled me..

So here is the quick story

I have a small Low Range Gaming PC 

CPU: AMD Phenom II 9950 x4 Black Edition

MOBO: MSI K9VGM-V

RAM: Komputer 4GB DDR2 1300mhz

GFX: AMD Radeon 6670

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500gb

It use to run windows flawlessly, a bit slow but flawlessly none the less.. I stopped using it for a few months (Work & Family), I come to use it again and noticed that it was running a bit slow nothing to worry about I didn't think so I did what any other sane person would do and that is to reinstall Windows 8.1, I went through the installation process perfectly no trouble what so ever when it came to restart the PC to do the final settings the bit where chose your colour scheme, name etc it just Crashes and throws a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR 0x000000 for No apparent reason..

I tried this with Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and my old copy of Windows 7

Windows 8 gives the same error and Windows 7 has the good ol' fashioned BSOD which gives a similar error without the "0x000000" error

Here is the fun part though, I was about to give up and I decided to try and see if a Linux distro would work so I installed the Latest Supported Ubuntu 14.04 and this runs Perfectly again a little slow on the reaction times compared to my laptop but that fact is, is that it runs Liniux but not Windows?

Any idea will be much appreciated!

disable Speed stepping in the bios, had this on a notebook, thats what fixed it, but yeah, it's a hardware problem.

Is there another name for "speed stepping"?

It's usually a hardware error, and not a good sign (failing CPU most of the time)

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557321%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

It can also be triggered by a bad cpu microcode revision in the BIOS, so see if you can update it.

A hardware error, but not necessarily a failing CPU.

I've had the same error in both pre-10 and in 10 itself - usually the issue (in my case) is because there is an overwrite in an address that is occupied by hardware (in my case, my Sound Blaster Recon3D or the Sound Blaster X-Fi it replaced).

I've seen this same error with onboard/integrated audio as well (but never with HDMI audio).

It is why I will be going with a GPU with full-size HDMI audio next time around (to avoid this error).

My GTX550Ti has a mini-HDMI (not full-sized) HDMI-out - fortunately, all the upgrades I am perusing have full-sized HDMI-out.

(Windows 7 and later support multiple audio outputs, so I can dedicate HDMI-out to a specific application (such as a game) to avoid "0wnicus interuptus".)

It can be caused by a failing PSU as well, from what I've read previously (I was getting it too before I ordered a replacement bundle), it means the CPU isn't getting enough power.

All of your inputs have been great thanks guys!

I can't see why Cool n Quiet would have an effect as that just controls fan speed but I will disable it for now (Jet engine noises ftw)

I have tried multiple amounts of different hardware -- New RAM, New HDD and New PSU Different GFX Card (nVidia GT 610) -- None of these fixed the issue..

I understand this is a difficult problem but what could I ubuntu be doing different that windows is or isn't doing?

That or a terrible driver.

Seeing how Ubuntu works, but no version of Windows, I would concurr. Probably an ACPI related driver issue. Most Linux distros handle it totally differently from Windows.

Try playing around with ACPI related settings in the BIOS and see if anything works

That.... or the AMD GFX drivers. Try booting up windows in Safe Mode, see if it stays stable

Did you try defaulting the BIOS/UFEI?

Not always a good idea, especially if someone doesn't have a backup or pictures of all of their BIOS settings on the screen. The potential to make the system un-bootable is high, like it could change AHCI to SATA/RAID etc and then Windows will be even worse off.

I will try the ACPI settings but I noticed on the mobo that if I change COM Port settings when performing a F6 set to default action these settings don't change, any idea how to find the default setting for COM Ports?

Before you say it, I changed the setting to the second option after resetting tried resetting it again and stay selected to the second option

My mobo is the msi k9vgm-v