How good is a Quadro FX 880M for casual gaming?

Hello all,

My main computer is an older desktop with an ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics card. I use it to play some games - the most powerful being Diablo 3, Skyrim, and Oblivion (though at lower settings).

Unfortunately that computer is having some hardware problems so I'm not sure how much longer it will work. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad W510 laptop with a Quadro FX 880M graphics card. How does this graphics card compare to that on my desktop? I know both are old models but I'm not a hard core gamer and I don't mind playing at lower settings so I want to see if the W510 will suffice for my casual gaming needs.

Hello all,

My main computer is an older desktop with an ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics card. I use it to play some games - the most powerful being Diablo 3, Skyrim, and Oblivion (though at lower settings).

Unfortunately that computer is having some hardware problems so I'm not sure how much longer it will work. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad W510 laptop with a Quadro FX 880M graphics card. How does this graphics card compare to that on my desktop? I know both are old models but I'm not a hard core gamer and I don't mind playing at lower settings so I want to see if the W510 will suffice for my casual gaming needs.

Well...to keep this simple.  You'll need to turn down things as the 880M isn't as fast (almost by half) as the 4850 (which is also showing its age).  There is a video on Youtube of some dude playing BF4 with a 880M, looks fairly good I guess (stuttering but don't know if that is the recording or the actual video card).  He also didn't list his system configuration.

Anyway...I wouldn't keep hopes up that you'll have an enjoyable experience.  Whatever you did on the 4850 just realize that you'll be turning down/off stuff to get decent framerates.  Plants vs Zombies should be good to go.

Plants vs Zombies should be good to go.

:rofl:

if anything, there is always tetris :heart:

tetris_big.gif

on a more serious note,  you can always check out GOG.com for a collection of amazing older games that are still great and will run just fine.

don't expect to run any current AAA game at anything other then the lowest possible setting though.     

this BF4 video is weird.   looks like his laptop is massively struggling.   this "stattering" used to happen to my old pc. meaning some of the specs are failing to keep up.

• Like 3

Really only you can answer this question.  Nobody knows what you consider "playable"
You didnt list what the ThinkPad's screen rez is, and none of the other specs

"Hard core gamer" is kind of a relative term as well.

So - try again

Hello all,

It's a lot worse than any mobile GeForce variants I'm afraid but then it's better suited for AutoCAD etc with the correct extensions support. You might be able to run those games enjoyably at 720p / no-AA / low AF / ~ medium settings but I suspect Skyrim will not like it (it hated my GT555M, even with 3GB VRAM).