My computer has been hacked.

I would never give my PC to any of you after all i've seen above, ostriches sticking their head in the sand.

reformat because of one issue? jayus!

If the person doesn't learn how to fix these issues, they will never learn.

reformating will not teach them what not to do in the future, nor will it stop it happening again.

• Like 3

I would never give my PC to any of you after all i've seen above, ostriches sticking their head in the sand.

reformating will not teach them what not to do in the future, nor will it stop it happening again.

They would learn a better lesson having to start over vs patching the mess and hoping for the best 

1: Don't type out a forum post like the one you previously had all in CAPS and bypassing the swear filter.

2: Disconnect the PC from the internet totally, then download Malwarebytes onto a USB thumb drive and go install it on tha tsystem, and probably run Windows Defender or whatever is already on it, for starters.

I don't think Malware bytes is going to do him any good, seeing as they changed the program and can no longer copy defs from another PC.

I'd backup your files, and wipe/reload. It's the only way to be sure.

I don't think Malware bytes is going to do him any good, seeing as they changed the program and can no longer copy defs from another PC.

I'd backup your files, and wipe/reload. It's the only way to be sure.

Well BartPE or Linux Distro to delete the offending file. Then boot and scan.

This isn't about taking the easy way out. This is about being secure and making sure you got it all. Most of us here are above average power users, even a bunch of experts with certs, etc. but unless you specialize in cyber security, with specific knowledge on dealing with malware and intrusions, you simply cannot run a couple of malware apps and call it good.

This isnt a server, or mission critical production enviro.

One needs to consider cost of manhours and the wounded soldier scenario.

Doing a clean install is the only way for someone with little or no knowledge to be sure they are clean and ready to move forward.

You are assuming this person wants to learn the ins and outs of infection removal - most dont.  They just want their computer to work.

Its OK you wouldn't want to give your computer to me to work on ....  I dont do that anymore ;)