New Mac owner

You are missing the point!

The add-on has tabs, options, other features that app doesn't have that add-on has.

Take a look

I think he's referring to the fact that Finder already has tabs.

I think he's referring to the fact that Finder already has tabs.

:argh:

Duh I know it has tabs that comes with Finder...but I said options!!  Meaning you can have tab styles (such as square tabs, curve tabs, etc), tab size, tabs on top, or bottom of toolbar, etc.

Even you can add more stuff to the menu and other things to tweak around in the Finder as the way you like.

Like I said take a look at the app and see more features to tweak around... 

In my first post about XtraFinder.... I said 'Up to you' ... that means it's up to you to install add-on or not....  I don't need your reminders or explains about Finder's default features that come with it.

I don't care if you install it or not....   it's your decision to install... I was giving OP a suggestion and see if he likes it or not...   I don't care if he refuses to install it..

OS X comes with a great utility for all kinds of file operations built-in. It's this:

post-1302-0-64769800-1432897808.png

I'm not kidding either. Terminal.app is always open on my Mac, and more often than not the tool I use to move files around.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm new to the mac world as well...got my hackintosh up and running!

I installed Office Preview, but wow, I have 4 days left!! yikes!

I'm so used to windows that I want to install windows in parallels or virtualbox, I use outlook, onenote (desktop/office version, not the free one) a lot, in addition to the rest of office family. Additionally, i depend on OneDrive for saving, accessing, and backing up my files.

I have an HP microserver with windows 2012 sever on it, sitting there doing noting. What to start backing up files to it.

Any pointers to apps or features I should be aware of in the mac world?

Congrats on the Mac. I personally do not think you should downgrade, it should run Yosemite just fine. Also, running Mavericks means that you will be barred from getting newer versions of some of Apple's apps from the Mac App Store.

One piece of software I can recommend is Hyperdock, it basically adds Windows 7 like thumbnails and app snapping features. It is $10 and it is available on the Mac App Store and directly from the developer's website (you can also try it out for free from the developer's website; and I would recommend getting the version from the developer's site because it has fewer restrictions than the App Store version).

Here is a link for that:

https://bahoom.com/hyperdock

I would also recommend looking at iMovie, Garage Band, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and iBook Author because they are all neat productivity apps and I believe they are all still free. ?

I also do not believe you should install Windows unless you are gaming, using 3D apps, or need to run an app that only runs on Windows. OS X should be able to do nearly everything Windows can do.

?

Thanks for all the great posts. I held off on installing windows for now. I am still having issues with finding files.. I was able to change my photos app to default to my nas but I can't actually find where the files are saving to. I think my toughest transistion is not having the right click... This is prob a stupid question but I assume I can buy a standard Logitech mouse with 2 buttons I can get back some windows commands that I am used to?

Thanks for all the great posts. I held off on installing windows for now. I am still having issues with finding files.. I was able to change my photos app to default to my nas but I can't actually find where the files are saving to. I think my toughest transistion is not having the right click... This is prob a stupid question but I assume I can buy a standard Logitech mouse with 2 buttons I can get back some windows commands that I am used to?

Yes you can.. I have Logitech Performance MX.  It works fine.

This is prob a stupid question but I assume I can buy a standard Logitech mouse with 2 buttons I can get back some windows commands that I am used to?

Yes. I use a stock Lenovo Windows keyboard and mouse with my rMBP, combined with Karabiner to map some of the keys back to how they work in Windows.

• 2 weeks later...

Wait till El Capitan is released before you upgrade. It will be much smoother overall.

• 1 month later...

New Mac owner here too. I like to play around in the terminal but do not know any useful commands yet. Anybody know a site that lists Mac commands for the terminal? I'd like to change directories, view and rename files, and test some Perl scripts.

Thanks!

New Mac owner here too. I like to play around in the terminal but do not know any useful commands yet. Anybody know a site that lists Mac commands for the terminal? I'd like to change directories, view and rename files, and test some Perl scripts.

Thanks!

Sorry guys. Just found what I was looking for. http://ss64.com/osx/ A-Z list of the command line.