Comcast in Talks to Acquire "The Verge"

Well it was a good news source while it lasted. Hopefully something of its caliber will come along when Comcast acquires ruins it. 

As if I needed a reason to avoid the verge.

Still though, I don't like this. Media companies and media distribution companies shouldn't go together. That's why the movie theaters aren't connected to the film studios anymore, and we need to revisit those laws for the 21st century.

Who's going to acquire Neowin, and when? :shiftyninja:

On-topic: Comcast acquiring Vox Media would be enough to make me avoid their websites.

Who's going to acquire Neowin, and when? :shiftyninja:

On-topic: Comcast acquiring Vox Media would be enough to make me avoid their websites.

Why?

Why?

I don't know about you, personally I'd rather not count on Comcast letting The Verge et al. remain fully independent in their reporting.

I don't know about you, personally I'd rather not count on Comcast letting The Verge et al. remain fully independent in their reporting.

I doubt it would make any difference. It's not like The Verge is known for investigative reporting. They're a news site that focuses on reporting on "cool" tech.

stopped reading the verge 6 months ago. it had a promising start, but went downhill fast. their review scoring is laughable at best. try to read through one of their live blogs and you'll facepalm yourself to death, especially an apple one. 

Verge is no different than other tech sites.  At times, articles and authors really suck and really show their bias.  When I normally read several sites to get info and not depend on just one.

Let's see ...

Re/code actually had CNBC (owned by Comcast division NBCUniversal) as a partner.

SBNation could be integrated with NBC Sports (owned by Comcast division NBCUniversal)

But do we really want this?

They could be after their fancy CMS, but it feels like Vox is in more of a buying mood (see, Re/code and the Curbed purchase) than a selling mood.

Are you sure?

Yes, mainly because a former Neowin writer, Tom Warren, has some good scoops about MS that he posts there. 

The Verge started off great, but then the Apple bias kicked in and you can't find a single review without them mentioning an Apple product.

Yes, mainly because a former Neowin writer, Tom Warren, has some good scoops about MS that he posts there. 

Yes, I agree with you. I follow Tom on Twitter and he's good. Just hope if Verge is acquired that he can find a decent place to work. Comcast will likely dictate everything. He had a previous personal blog I believe that was quite successful but I guess the Verge was too good to pass up "money wise". 

• Like 1

The Verge is a long ways away from the thisismynext.com days.