SourceForge grabs GIMP for Windows

SourceForge did it's job but is really ready for retirement now. Every reputable project either hosts their code themselves or is on GitHub nowadays. Or BitBucket. Even Google Code was better, and they stopped too. Anything beats SourceForge really, they were/are extremely slow with updating their site to modern standards and are now so far behind they might as well go read-only.

Well, that's pretty damned low and completely against any Open Source ethos.

I don't know how they can do this and talk with a straight face.....borders on unethical....not happy... :angry:

No need to go SF to download the programs...

go to download apps directly from their own site...

for example, gimp  -> gimp.org

filezilla -> filezilla-project.org

so on.

At first I thought it was a mod running a muck; nope. They're doing it and sugar coating it is a totally ok thing to do. It's not a totally ok thing to do (morally, not so sure legally) and SF has just been added to my list of sites I avoid at all costs.

A big shame.

they started this with a few big ones like FileZilla. FileZilla at least gives you a direct link to the real installer.

Well in the case of FileZilla, it was the author consenting to it and getting a share of the profits. Their forum indicates as much.

Still crappy practice, but at least isn't as bad as this case where it was taken without consent. 

Oh now that's just dirty pool. Sourceforge has been a champion of FLOSS distribution for so long I can't remember the internet without it.

*sigh*

First Mandriva, then this nasty business with the Ubuntu Community Council vs Kubuntu's Johnathan Riddell, and now Sourceforge selling its' soul.

Bad week for the FLOSS Community. :(

Yep, just like Superfish and Lenovo.

And Sony for the rootkit

Each company have ups and downs. 

That's the way it is.

Some say 'Ooops, We are sorry about that. We will fix it.'

:rolleyes: