CPU cooler

A fast, robust, future proof machine isn't necessarily the most expensive one. Everyone has a budget, even if your budget is large.

Anyway, Yusuf gave you a good idea of the best money can currently buy, you might not really need that, but I've a feeling you don't really want to compromise even if that may make sense for your actual needs.

I have only done about 10-12 watercooling builds w/ Corsair H-series - I havent had any issues, and none of those people have mentioned problems.  Are they known to leak ?  I haven't heard, but I dont keep up with this stuff as much as I used to.

Isnt the fluid inside non-conducting ?

I mentioned water because electronics like cold.  The Cooler Master Hyper 212 is indeed legendary - no doubt there.

As far as some of these builds - so many of those parts are overkill.... an 800 W PSU when there isnt a gaming video card ??

It was a safe assumption though. Would you recommend a GTX 980 Ti to someone that won't be gaming? Setting a budget helps and so does making yourself clear. The less time that's spent wondering what someone wants, the better.

That's a lot better than "No gaming." Now I have a better idea of what you want. I know I said I was done with this thread but now that you're more clear, I can't help but offer my advice. It's just who I am.

What do you think of this?

TCWNXQP.png

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/Anaron/saved/#view=xtPNnQ

It's a lot more future-proof than your current build. You're looking at a better CPU, DDR4 RAM, a better motherboard, and a better cooler. You'll want to avoid water cooling because it'l eventually break down. Replacing a broken fan is a lot better than having to dry up your motherboard because of a water leak.

Anyway, you can get a weaker PSU because 850W is overkill but I left it in there in case you decide to get into gaming in the future.

No, I wouldn't recommend a 980GTX Ti to a non-gamer. You can rock a 560GTX for 1/4 of the cost, and get the same performance almost. I have a 560GTX Ti, and I have zero gaming issues. Honestly, DDR4 seems to be a bit of a push, I'd wait another 6 months to a year before I rocked DDR4. Unless you like to ###### money away, I'll hold a jar and you can drop it in there for me! :D

I did notice something, the cost on this website vs the cost on actual websites is vastly different.

My New Rig

It's 3,000$ vs what I had earlier, it was vastly different, at least 1,000$ difference.

ON is ssd+hdd the other is just hdd.  The ssdhdd is hybrid drive and faster than the hdd, and therefore has more cost associated to it.  Why he has both, probably to tier faster to slower applications or files or for backups/images.

ON is ssd+hdd the other is just hdd.  The ssdhdd is hybrid drive and faster than the hdd, and therefore has more cost associated to it.  Why he has both, probably to tier faster to slower applications or files or for backups/images.

Never noticed that. The question is, is it worth it?

If you're going to be using this machine as a hypervisor, may I recommend you go significantly higher than 16GB?  You should START at 32 GB, depending on how many VM's you intend to run. More ram will mean more flexibility.

And spend the extra money on a real RAID controller with battery-backed up RAM. Configure for RAID6 to allow for a simultaneous double-failure and get 4 or 5 drives -- the higher the RPM the better.

Running multiple VMs your system will suffer from I/O thrashing so the more speed you can give them the better.  A RAID controller with lots of cache (no less than 512MB) will help a lot.

Dell's PERC H710P is an excellent choice. It supports 8 devices at up to 6Gb/s, has 1GB of cache, and dual 800MHz processors.  You can use SATA or SAS drives with it.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=342-5070&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

Virtualization is ALL ABOUT I/O. Spend the extra money on a good disk subsystem and you'll never be sorry.

-Forjo

I've already got 32gb RAM in this box.

I'm not worried about a real raid, I already have a server (PowerEdge T310) that does ESX\RAID. I'm purely building a desktop machine that has enough bells and whistles just in case I feel like cracking open VMware workstation. 

This is to replace a POS laptop I use daily atm.

I've already got 32gb RAM in this box.

I'm not worried about a real raid, I already have a server (PowerEdge T310) that does ESX\RAID. I'm purely building a desktop machine that has enough bells and whistles just in case I feel like cracking open VMware workstation. 

This is to replace a POS laptop I use daily atm.

Sounds good.

Consider using Hyper-V. It's works very well and you don't have to pay extra for dynamic memory support (not to mention easy live migrations of VMs and/or storage).

-Forjo

If you're going to be using this machine as a hypervisor, may I recommend you go significantly higher than 16GB?  You should START at 32 GB, depending on how many VM's you intend to run. More ram will mean more flexibility.

And spend the extra money on a real RAID controller with battery-backed up RAM. Configure for RAID6 to allow for a simultaneous double-failure and get 4 or 5 drives -- the higher the RPM the better.

Running multiple VMs your system will suffer from I/O thrashing so the more speed you can give them the better.  A RAID controller with lots of cache (no less than 512MB) will help a lot.

Dell's PERC H710P is an excellent choice. It supports 8 devices at up to 6Gb/s, has 1GB of cache, and dual 800MHz processors.  You can use SATA or SAS drives with it.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=342-5070&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

Virtualization is ALL ABOUT I/O. Spend the extra money on a good disk subsystem and you'll never be sorry.

-Forjo

800$ RAID controller, are you out of your bloody mind? I'd never spend 800$ for a RAID Controller for a damn Desktop. A server, easily, but a desktop? Jesus, I thought I was special with my desktop build...

I'll only use Hyper-V with SCVMM, just like ESX with vCenter.

Workstation will be fine for this build. 

Yeah. Workstation will do just fine. Question, which Operating Systems do you plan on using? I'll be using ESX as my Host, but Linux for most OS's.

Windows Server\Windows clients. I make my living off MS products. 

I'll use it mainly for lab specific work (sussing out stuff for when I do work for clients)\completing my certs (don't listen to what others say, certs are a good thing especially if you work in enterprise IT). 

I can't justify turning on the T310 for dicking around, I use that for serious lab work as it's attached to a SAN. However, I don't do much lab work at home these days, do enough at work.

800$ RAID controller, are you out of your bloody mind? I'd never spend 800$ for a RAID Controller for a damn Desktop. A server, easily, but a desktop? Jesus, I thought I was special with my desktop build...

He said money wasn't an issue, and that he'd be running multiple VMs. Anyone with experience deploying VMs in a production or lab environment knows what I wrote.

And $800 is not a lot of money -- you can spend that on a video card.

-Forjo

Since you said money wasn't a problem...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($1399.00 @ CPL Online)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($133.00 @ IJK)
Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($658.00 @ Umart)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($619.00 @ Scorptec)
Storage: Samsung XP941 Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($648.89 @ RamCity)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($689.00 @ Centre Com)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($689.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Superclocked Video Card (4-Way SLI)  ($1559.00 @ Umart)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Superclocked Video Card (4-Way SLI)  ($1559.00 @ Umart)
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II (Black) ATX Full Tower Case  ($389.00 @ PLE Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair AX1500i 1500W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($538.99 @ Mwave Australia)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card  ($199.00 @ Umart)
Total: $16332.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-05 03:19 AEST+1000

I would recommend storing your operating system on the M2 drive, along with the p**n you want to access quickly.