'Draw Muhammad' contest planned in Phoenix

Look at Ireland / Northern Ireland, where terrible atrocities have been and are committed by Christian extremists yet it's never painted as a systemic problem. 

Umm, what?  I think you need to bone up on your IRA history mate, because you couldn't be more wrong there if you tried.  The IRA used to be a MASSIVE terrorist problem, just because we've finally managed to resolve the worst of the issues and are now talking peacefully over it all, doesn't alter that fact.

Saying it wasn't a systemic problem is just a massive insult to all the innocents murdered by the IRA (and yes, by the British government, too).  

Seriously, if you don't know what you're talking about, stop talking about it.

Umm, what?  I think you need to bone up on your IRA history mate, because you couldn't be more wrong there if you tried.  The IRA used to be a MASSIVE terrorist problem, just because we've finally managed to resolve the worst of the issues and are now talking peacefully over it all, doesn't alter that fact.

Saying it wasn't a systemic problem is just a massive insult to all the innocents murdered by the IRA (and yes, by the British government, too).  

Seriously, if you don't know what you're talking about, stop talking about it.

I don't think he's talking about IRA specifically. He's talking that a large part of the whole ROI/NI/UK issue was due (and still is) to religion but it's usually painted with a freedom-fight coating.
  • Like 1

I'm familiar with my history, thanks. There are still bombs being found, like the one found in Country Tyrone just ten days ago and another found at the beginning of the month. The point is that Christianity isn't demonised in the press, the blame is placed on rogue individuals. The media coverage of Islamic terrorism is substantially different. If it was a Muslim planting a bomb like that the media would go crazy, yet because it's Christians nobody seems to care.

That's NOT what I said! I said the media doesn't portray it as a systemic issue relating to religion - it's blamed on rogue individuals. How dare you claim I was insulting all the innocents murdered by both sides in the name of religion.  :angry:

I dare, because that's exactly what you DID do, whether you meant to or not.  Your very own words said it's not portrayed as a systemic problem, when it was and is.  It not being a religious problem is completely irrelevant. You belittled every single person murdered over the problems in the last 40+ years.

How dare you claim I was insulting all the innocents murdered by both sides in the name of religion.  :angry:

Your one sidedness in countless threads follow this same theme.

As is yours.

Nope. The most amazing part of being a devil's advocate is the ability to see the good/bad with all situations/sides and knowing that nothing is black and white but shades of grey.

I dare, because that's exactly what you DID do, whether you meant to or not.  Your very own words said it's not portrayed as a systemic problem, when it was and is.  It not being a religious problem is completely irrelevant. You belittled every single person murdered over the problems in the last 40+ years.

My comment was made specifically about the conflict and its relation to religion. That you misconstrued my comment and manufactured insult is entirely on you. The point I made is valid, which is that the conflict in Ireland / Northern Ireland isn't perceived as a systemic problem with Christianity but of specific underlying issues in the region. There is no possible insult that can be construed from that, nor do you have any authority to speak on behalf of every family who has suffered as a result of the conflict - your position is without merit.

You simply misconstrued my comment, as tiagosilva29 pointed out. I would like an apology, as what you said was completely out of line and outright defamation.

If drawing Mohammed gets the terrorists this upset, I could only imagine what would happen if there was a Mohammed cosplay convention.

as topic about drawing Muhammad, i would recommend this book that already cataloged by Libray of Congress: http://lccn.loc.gov/2011415220

That book contain drawing about Muhammand's speech & acts, which totally based on Islamic primary source.

While the drawing isn't spectacular, the book offers the readers to examine history of Islam, and understanding the muslims

as muslims are instructed to emulate their lone arabic prophet.

isn't it interesting how people drawing stupid little cartoons coaxes your innocent, sainted, "moderate" muslims to behave in a way that would make a member of ISIS proud?

Except it doesn't, the overwhelming majority of Muslims do not support extremism. It is the public assuming the worst and the media fuelling the fire that's brought about this wild accusation. There is a minority of extremist Muslim groups in just the same way as there are a minority of extremist Christian groups!

My comment was made specifically about the conflict and its relation to religion. That you misconstrued my comment and manufactured insult is entirely on you. The point I made is valid, which is that the conflict in Ireland / Northern Ireland isn't perceived as a systemic problem with Christianity but of specific underlying issues in the region. There is no possible insult that can be construed from that, nor do you have any authority to speak on behalf of every family who has suffered as a result of the conflict - your position is without merit.

You simply misconstrued my comment, as tiagosilva29 pointed out. I would like an apology, as what you said was completely out of line and outright defamation.

You won't get one from me.  The IRA are not religious extremists as you mistakenly think, and never have been. They weren't murdering people because of their particular brand of fairy tale.  The IRA are political terrorists.  They act out of hatred of British rule, and they demand that we leave Ireland and return the Northern territory to the rest of the republic, and they'll happily murder anyone who tries to block that.  That puts your entire comment completely out of whack and makes what you said an insult to the memory of all who have died.

Are there religion related problems in NI? Sure, but they're nothing to do with the IRA's fight with the British government.

Let me say it again.  The IRA are not religious extremists in any way, shape, or form. They are political terrorists who act purely out of the desire to see their country freed from British rule, nothing more.  Also, they have ceased hostilities and are instead talking to achieve their goals. I see a time, probably within the next decade, where NI will be given a choice to stay as part of the UK, or to leave, as they will. Religious extremists do not negotiate. You are wrong.

Except it doesn't, the overwhelming majority of Muslims do not support extremism. It is the public assuming the worst and the media fuelling the fire that's brought about this wild accusation. There is a minority of extremist Muslim groups in just the same way as there are a minority of extremist Christian groups!

yeah. I've talked to muslim groups about this on a local campus. almost the universal response is I don't support it but I understand it" and when you really push them on the topics of apostasy or depicting mohammed they begrudgingly admit that they believe that if you are killed that you deserved it.

its not to ###### anyone off, it's a demonstration of freedom. If it offends you, you can choose NOT to attend.

It's a freedom of speech, wait what. I don't think so. Those aren't really the same. Outside of a History textbook, there's no real motivation for a non-muslim to draw a depiction of the Prophet other than to be offensive to muslims. They all fall somewhere on a spectrum between a joke of questionable taste and purposefully being as offensive as possible. People have a right to do these things (In the United States), but they certainly aren't "good" uses of free speech.  :) 

Yeah, offending them will surely help them become more tolerant...

Just my honest opinion though... but people choose to be offended.

Smart people stand above this and develop a shield.

We can get aggravated about everything all day, don't you think I possible COULD get aggravated about seeing sex on tv or seeing The Smurfs on tv (I could potentially have an allergy for blue, haha)?

If something annoys me, I simply get involved with other things... not because I'm afraid to face it or go against it, simply because I'm wiser and stand above it.

- I mean, people should grow up and act normal for once.

Just stand above all those possible offendings... if you get angry about everything, you're even more stupid than they are!!

(it's complete nonsense to get offended about drawings and such... a little kid doesn't know any better, but adults?? :rolleyes: )

-----------------

* So in my opinion;

Go on with Mohammed drawings, it's not US who are wrong or offending... they choose to be offended, and if they can't stand it, get the h#ll out of here, because it's part of our Western community.

If you choose to be part of our Western society, please also accept our sarcastic sense of humor (because it's nothing more than that), if you can't accept that... there's no place for you here.

You mean these muslims?

"These are general views that every muslim actually has, every muslim believes in these things"

So I guess if a view is held by all 1.6 billion muslims then by that standard you're not an extremist. With that in mind it makes sense.

Those people in the video all say they're not extremists yet all agree that all punishments set forth in the quran should be followed.

You mean these muslims?

"These are general views that every muslim actually has, every muslim believes in these things"

So I guess if a view is held by all 1.6 billion muslims then by that standard you're not an extremist. With that in mind it makes sense.

Those people in the video all say they're not extremists yet all agree that all punishments set forth in the quran should be followed.

There is less than 0.0001% of all Muslims in the world in that room, not exactly compelling evidence to support your 'evidence'.

There is less than 0.0001% of all Muslims in the world in that room, not exactly compelling evidence to support your 'evidence'.

would you like for me to get the populations and do the math for you or can you see that it's in the hundreds of millions?

29a041.jpg

<snip>

And that is one poll concerning one question. Google "support for terrorism in the name of Jihad", "support for execution of apostates (people who renounce their faith)", "Muslim views of homosexuality", etc. and the the picture gets much, much darker. That's not to say every Muslim everywhere thinks this way, but the numbers who support this stuff is astounding. Especially those who live in the West. The idea that it is just a fringe, wacko miniority is demonstrably false.

Evidence? I merely posted a video so why do I need evidence? I didn't make any claims that I need evidence to support.

But if you really want to be that way, where is your evidence to support the claim that you made that the ovherwhelming majority of muslims do not align to extremist views and beliefs? Because you have shown none.

And that is one poll concerning one question. Google "support for terrorism in the name of Jihad", "support for execution of apostates (people who renounce their faith)", "Muslim views of homosexuality", etc. and the the picture gets much, much darker. That's not to say every Muslim everywhere thinks this way, but the numbers who support this stuff is astounding. Especially those who live in the West. The idea that it is just a fringe, wacko miniority is demonstrably false.

but whats the alternative for non Muslims ? Its a lot easier to pretend there is nothing wrong or blame the fringe. Admitting a problem exists means there has to be something done about it. I dont think West has the stomach to confront Islamic Ummah

as topic about drawing Muhammad, i would recommend this book that already cataloged by Libray of Congress: http://lccn.loc.gov/2011415220

That book contain drawing about Muhammand's speech & acts, which totally based on Islamic primary source.

While the drawing isn't spectacular, the book offers the readers to examine history of Islam, and understanding the muslims

as muslims are instructed to emulate their lone arabic prophet.

or one could watch Madmax lol Prophet Mohammed was the Immortan Joe of his time.