Wildstar Going Free to Play

20 replies to this topic

#1 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 28 May 2015 - 18:26

So in a move that shouldn't surprise anyone, except maybe by how long it took, Wildstar is becoming free to play this fall.

http://www.wildstar-...t=logo-wildstar

I still find it crazy that Blizzard has the guts to increase subscription cost in this climate, but I guess they can afford to for now, even if it loses them a few million subs they still have enough to take from.Don't think we'll see any more MMO's launching with P2P subscriptions in the future from now.  for better or worse, 

#2 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 28 May 2015 - 18:38

It's Activision-Blizzard now. The Activision part of the name is really important.

#3 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 May 2015 - 18:44

So in a move that shouldn't surprise anyone, except maybe by how long it took, Wildstar is becoming free to play this fall.

http://www.wildstar-...t=logo-wildstar

I still find it crazy that Blizzard has the guts to increase subscription cost in this climate, but I guess they can afford to for now, even if it loses them a few million subs they still have enough to take from.Don't think we'll see any more MMO's launching with P2P subscriptions in the future from now.  for better or worse, 

The only surprise is that it took this long.

If you have played both WildStar AND any (currently) F2P game (including FireFall and Rift), don't be surprised how short WildStar falls compared to both (or even DCUO, my go-to F2P MMO for four years now).

I'll take another look after the reboot - however, for now, I'll remain on the sidelines.

#4 Beyond Godlike

Beyond Godlike

Neowinian

Posted 28 May 2015 - 18:46

Not surprised, on launch they didnt support AMD systems and people found the gimmicky combat more of a chore after a few weeks.

#5 OP HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 May 2015 - 19:23

The only surprise is that it took this long.

If you have played both WildStar AND any (currently) F2P game (including FireFall and Rift), don't be surprised how short WildStar falls compared to both (or even DCUO, my go-to F2P MMO for four years now).

I'll take another look after the reboot - however, for now, I'll remain on the sidelines.

I dunno, I like it better than firefall which is an entirely different game altogether, and rift is also different as it's a fantasy game with a completely different graphical style. I dunno,  I like Rift to some degree but I can't play it for very long... but then that's true of most MMO's nowadays I grow tired of them fast. DCUO eh... I'm not a huge fan really.feels to much of an open world with pick up quests spread all over, and all very barren and lacking. 

There isn't many if any MMO's that really catches me any more. if EQN had been EQ3 instead perhaps. I stil have fond memories of EQ2 and riding out from the "good" city into the lush forests and hills killing gnolls and riding through the mountain pass and forts. unfortunately, like Rift, it's realistic graphical style ages terribly and my memories are far better than the actual game looks ;)  don't trust memories, they embellish a lot :)

#6 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Open Source Fanboy & C++/Java Coder

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • OS: Dev machine: Parabola GNU/Linux-Libre; Laptop: Fedora WS 22
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z3 CyanogenMod

Posted 28 May 2015 - 19:27

It's Activision-Blizzard now. The Activision part of the name is really important.

Actually no, Blizzard operates as its own entity.

#7 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 28 May 2015 - 19:51

Keep dreaming.

#8 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• Phone: HTC One M8

Posted 28 May 2015 - 20:10

Funny how Destiny is having all the exact same problems as Diablo did at its start. Smells of Activision.

#9 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

Posted 28 May 2015 - 20:40

I played it during CBT, and then OBT.  After that, I didn't even borther to try it again when released.

NCSoft should have brought Blade & Soul to NA earlier instead of this junk.

#10 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 28 May 2015 - 20:41

Haven't heard about any Blizzard subscription hikes, but WoW is basically free to play now with tokens. I made enough gold in a week to buy a 30 day token just from garrison treasure missions and my followers are far from fully upgraded. I'll never have to pay for game time again.

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 28 May 2015 - 22:36

Look forward to trying it :)

#12 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 28 May 2015 - 22:48

WoW hasn't had a subscription price increase since it launched, no idea where you got that from.

As for Wildstar, called it at launch. I played the first month included from the game but found it very ... comical. Not really my sort of game.

I might have another go after it's F2P, but I don't expect to play it more than casually.

#13 Andrew

Andrew

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 28 May 2015 - 22:50

WoW hasn't had a subscription price increase since it launched, no idea where you got that from.

http://www.eurogamer...ise-in-november

#14 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 28 May 2015 - 23:04

Hmm, I noticed no changes whatsoever here. Possible that was just a localised price increase?

In fact, I managed to snap up a couple of game time cards for 30AUD each earlier this year.

#15 OP HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 May 2015 - 23:33

I played it during CBT, and then OBT.  After that, I didn't even borther to try it again when released.

NCSoft should have brought Blade & Soul to NA earlier instead of this junk.

One of the redeeming points of Wildstar is that while it's published by NCsoft, it's ONLY published by them, they have no actual input on it. 

Hmm, I noticed no changes whatsoever here. Possible that was just a localised price increase?

In fact, I managed to snap up a couple of game time cards for 30AUD each earlier this year.

It only effects new subscribers and people who let their sub lapse before they resub. existing subs get to keep the old price until a year or so. same deal netflix did.