Wildstar Going Free to Play

So in a move that shouldn't surprise anyone, except maybe by how long it took, Wildstar is becoming free to play this fall.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/?utm_source=newsletter_ws&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email_en_20150528_f2p_announcement_optouts&utm_content=logo-wildstar

I still find it crazy that Blizzard has the guts to increase subscription cost in this climate, but I guess they can afford to for now, even if it loses them a few million subs they still have enough to take from.Don't think we'll see any more MMO's launching with P2P subscriptions in the future from now.  for better or worse, 

So in a move that shouldn't surprise anyone, except maybe by how long it took, Wildstar is becoming free to play this fall.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/?utm_source=newsletter_ws&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email_en_20150528_f2p_announcement_optouts&utm_content=logo-wildstar

I still find it crazy that Blizzard has the guts to increase subscription cost in this climate, but I guess they can afford to for now, even if it loses them a few million subs they still have enough to take from.Don't think we'll see any more MMO's launching with P2P subscriptions in the future from now.  for better or worse, 

The only surprise is that it took this long.

If you have played both WildStar AND any (currently) F2P game (including FireFall and Rift), don't be surprised how short WildStar falls compared to both (or even DCUO, my go-to F2P MMO for four years now).

I'll take another look after the reboot - however, for now, I'll remain on the sidelines.

Not surprised, on launch they didnt support AMD systems and people found the gimmicky combat more of a chore after a few weeks.

The only surprise is that it took this long.

If you have played both WildStar AND any (currently) F2P game (including FireFall and Rift), don't be surprised how short WildStar falls compared to both (or even DCUO, my go-to F2P MMO for four years now).

I'll take another look after the reboot - however, for now, I'll remain on the sidelines.

I dunno, I like it better than firefall which is an entirely different game altogether, and rift is also different as it's a fantasy game with a completely different graphical style. I dunno,  I like Rift to some degree but I can't play it for very long... but then that's true of most MMO's nowadays I grow tired of them fast. DCUO eh... I'm not a huge fan really.feels to much of an open world with pick up quests spread all over, and all very barren and lacking. 

There isn't many if any MMO's that really catches me any more. if EQN had been EQ3 instead perhaps. I stil have fond memories of EQ2 and riding out from the "good" city into the lush forests and hills killing gnolls and riding through the mountain pass and forts. unfortunately, like Rift, it's realistic graphical style ages terribly and my memories are far better than the actual game looks ;)  don't trust memories, they embellish a lot :)

Actually no, Blizzard operates as its own entity.

Funny how Destiny is having all the exact same problems as Diablo did at its start. Smells of Activision.

I played it during CBT, and then OBT.  After that, I didn't even borther to try it again when released.

NCSoft should have brought Blade & Soul to NA earlier instead of this junk.

Haven't heard about any Blizzard subscription hikes, but WoW is basically free to play now with tokens. I made enough gold in a week to buy a 30 day token just from garrison treasure missions and my followers are far from fully upgraded. I'll never have to pay for game time again.

WoW hasn't had a subscription price increase since it launched, no idea where you got that from.

As for Wildstar, called it at launch. I played the first month included from the game but found it very ... comical. Not really my sort of game.

I might have another go after it's F2P, but I don't expect to play it more than casually.

I played it during CBT, and then OBT.  After that, I didn't even borther to try it again when released.

NCSoft should have brought Blade & Soul to NA earlier instead of this junk.

One of the redeeming points of Wildstar is that while it's published by NCsoft, it's ONLY published by them, they have no actual input on it. 

Hmm, I noticed no changes whatsoever here. Possible that was just a localised price increase?

In fact, I managed to snap up a couple of game time cards for 30AUD each earlier this year.

It only effects new subscribers and people who let their sub lapse before they resub. existing subs get to keep the old price until a year or so. same deal netflix did. 

I've been waiting for this to happen.

Played a trial account but I feel pressure to play more than I feel like when paying a sub for an MMO so it ruins my ability to enjoy the game. Well, soon I'll be able to resume playing Wildstar thankfully. 

Not too happy about the limitations on characters and bank slots but the rest of the F2P restrictions are fine by me. Overall a good microtransaction system compared to quite a few other F2P games. 

It only effects new subscribers and people who let their sub lapse before they resub. existing subs get to keep the old price until a year or so. same deal netflix did. 

I'm not an existing subscriber, I use game cards on a casual basis and the price of them hasn't changed.

I do keep a 'rough eye' on CC subscription prices and I haven't noticed any change to them either (for me).

So I'm going to guess it wasn't a world-wide increase.

I'm not an existing subscriber, I use game cards on a casual basis and the price of them hasn't changed.

I do keep a 'rough eye' on CC subscription prices and I haven't noticed any change to them either (for me).

So I'm going to guess it wasn't a world-wide increase.

Australia/NZ hasn't been affected, yet.

but it's inflation adjustment so, I wouldn't hold my breath. 

Blizzard is increasing sub costs? When did this happen?

Anyways, just like with ESO, Wildstar should have been free from the start. Or at the most buy to play like Guild Wars 2.

YAY! I did a preorder, was a diehard fan then totally lost interest. Would be nice to get to finish up the pve content... maybe.

• 2 years later...
On 6/2/2015 at 9:47 AM, Osiris said:

I always hear 'another one bites the dust' play when I read of another mmo converting f2p. 

That is likely due to MMOs requiring paying subscribers to survive being the old model.  If anybody broke it, it was Sony Online Entertainment (now Daybreak) - DCUO and PlanetSide (along with PlanetSide's sequel PS2 - which is still around) having been F2P how long?  (And I don't HATE Planetside 2  - not at all; it is simply that I like DCUO more.  Rather frustrating there - two F2P games that I like - from the same publisher.  An embarrassment of riches that Cryptic would have KILLED to have.)