Thank You Nintendo for Splatoon.

Thank You Splatoon.

I feel in order to really appreciate the magnitude of how much I am currently enjoying and appreciating Splatoon, it is important to share my current gaming habits along with my past gaming habits.

I do not play MP anymore. I really do not. I used to play it all the time. It was my preferred game type. UT2K4. BF 1942. Counter Strike. BF2. Then on the consoles Halo. Gears of War. Ghost Recon. Definitely Ghost Recon. Even Uncharted 2. For a good while, especially when I was heaviest into PC gaming, MP was all I played. Specifically First Person Shooters, but if a good 3rd person MP game came along, which usually would be on the consoles, I would play them as well. For a very long time I preferred playing with other humans simply because it meant testing my skills.

However having less time for gaming these days means I focus on a good SP experience and that is truly more than enough to occupy my time. To put it in perspective, I am still making my way through Bloodborne and I have owned it since Day 1. I beat Dying Light but it took me close to 2 months to do so. When I get to play anything is actually very sporadic. It usually lasts no longer than an hour or two here and there.

Fast forward to yesterday. Splatoon was just not on my radar. I knew it existed. My WiiU made sure of that fact with the ads that have popped up on it out of nowhere the past month or so. Although the game even intrigued me, I did not really pay it much mind.

I was just on vacation this past week in Mexico. As I would wind down at night or escape from the heat during the day in my hotel room I would fire up my Xperia Z2 Tablet, check my email, and then usually go to Neogaf and/or Kotaku to see what, if any, new game related news there was to read. My last day in Mexico was yesterday and while perusing NeoGaf I clicked on the review thread for Splatoon. Immediately I could not help but notice mostly glowing reviews. I really could not help but notice the mention of the fact that the SP portion was actually very well done and was enjoyable on its own. A SP portion I actually had no clue even existed until I read the review thread. I thought Splatoon was MP only. The glowing reviews along with the fact the game had a SP that I did not even know about really piqued my interest. Perhaps it was the Mexican sun. Perhaps it was the fact I was absolutely and totally removed from games. I decided right then and there I think I wanted to pick up Splatoon.

When I got home from Mexico late last night and settled in for the night I checked my Nintendo account and saw I had $49 in it that I had not spent in months. All I needed to do was add $13 to pick up Splatoon. I decided to do just that. Not only had it been months since I last used my WiiU, I also wanted to support Nintendo as to this day I have the utmost of respect for what they have provided me over the years from a first party perspective. Super Mario 64. Mario Kart. Donkey Kong Country (and Tropical Freeze). The Zelda games (which I only came to appreciate after the fact). Metroid. The list goes on and on.

However a lot of people, myself included actually, were left wondering if Nintendo still has it. I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt based on history. I am very glad I made that decision.

I have about 2 hours logged with Splatoon so far and 15 minutes of them were spent on the SP. The rest has been all MP. Even crazier, I actually WANT to play the MP again asap. Even crazier than that, I think I have maybe had the top score on my team once. Possibly twice. Most of the times I place 3rd. Sometimes I come in 2nd. A decent amount of the time I am dead last. 4th place. And you know what? I do not care what place I am in. I am enjoying the hell out of myself.

I really thought my days of playing MP were behind me. It is not even that I dislike MP that much, just that I enjoy playing SP that much more. All the MP games I play these days, even with my years of MP experience behind me, I feel underpowered. Overwhelmed. Outgunned. Outclassed. While I clearly have a long way to go until I am what I would consider good at playing Splatoon, it actually does not matter. I have fun every single match. Pure good-old fun.

The above is truly amazing to me. I do not even know what it is about the game specifically, but there is something special about it.

Kudos to Nintendo for getting me back into not only playing MP, but WANTING to play MP. That is, whether they know it or not, a tremendous achievement, and I thank them for it. This 40 year old man is back playing one of the game modes that provided him with the most memorable moments in his gaming history. Sincerely and truly when I think about the best gaming moments I have had over my long gaming history, more often than not I think about some larger than life experience I had on MP. Those unscripted moments that can only happen in MP and nowhere else.

Here's to the new MP moments I hope to experience soon thanks to Splatoon.
Thank you Nintendo for being you.

Shooters have become rather bland in recent years. You expect a Call of Duty to be released every year with the same crappy story, same mechanics, and same multiplayer experience. It's refreshing to see something new on the table and not just new, but truly unique.

Do you really feel that it's worth $60? That's my big hangup. Paying $60 for WiiU games is a hard pill to swallow. Right now I am thinking I will probably get it when it's available for $40.

Do you really feel that it's worth $60? That's my big hangup. Paying $60 for WiiU games is a hard pill to swallow. Right now I am thinking I will probably get it when it's available for $40.

It is a very good game. I got a solid 3 hours of enjoyment out of it yesterday when I got off work and more coming this weekend too haha.

Its definitely a breath of fresh air in a genre that has become so completely stale now.

I'll be honest, I was sceptical when I first saw the announcement at E3, but I've become more and more interested in the game leading up to its release and it looks pretty fun to play. The only multiplayer shooter I still play frequently (I dip into CS:GO at times) is TF2, because it's different to what's currently out there.

Splatoon is just that.

It is light on content now, there is no doubt about that, but apparently a patch was just released today to take care of that. Also they claim they will support it with free DLC down the road as well.

So truthfully speaking, it might not be worth $60 right now, but I had no problem paying $60 for it since I enjoy it so much. I am personally a big fan of quality over quantity, so with that said, for myself it was well worth the $60. I could see how others would feel it is not worth that price though. I could.

I'll be honest, I was sceptical when I first saw the announcement at E3, but I've become more and more interested in the game leading up to its release and it looks pretty fun to play. The only multiplayer shooter I still play frequently (I dip into CS:GO at times) is TF2, because it's different to what's currently out there.

Splatoon is just that.

I also had zero interest in it and continued to have zero interest in it until I read the review thread on Gaf. So it really did come out of nowhere for me.

I saw someone giving away a steam copy for pc, but I was too late to grab it. Looked fun, though. :/

I saw someone giving away a steam copy for pc, but I was too late to grab it. Looked fun, though. :/

Wrong topic? Splatoon is Wii U exclusive.