Mohammed Cartoon Contest: Protested

Mohammed cartoon contest: Protest held outside Phoenix mosque

Phoenix (CNN)Protesters at Friday's "Freedom of Speech" rally outside a Phoenix mosque were met by counterprotesters.
The two groups lined both sides of the street in front of the Islamic Community Center of Phoenix and yelled at each other, with a line of police officers standing in the middle of the street to keep them separated, CNN 
Jon Ritzheimer, organizer of the rally, is a former Marine, and he has no middle ground when it comes to Islam.
His T-shirt pretty much says it all: "F--- Islam." Some of the counterprotesters wore shirts that said, "Love Thy Neighbor."
The Islamic Community Center of Phoenix is the mosque that Elton Simpson and Nadir Soofi attended for a time. They're the men who drove from Arizona to a Dallas suburb to shoot up a Prophet Mohammed cartoon contest there. Both were killed by police early this month.
Many Muslims consider demeaning depictions of Mohammed to be blasphemous and banned by Islamic law.

The rally
"This is in response to the recent attack in Texas where 2 armed terrorist(s), with ties to ISIS, attempted Jihad," the event's Facebook page said.
Some 600 people said they would attend.
The rally was to start about the same time evening prayers were taking place inside the center. The rally was to feature its own cartoon contest, similar to the one targeted in Texas.
"I think the whole thing, the cartoon contest especially, I think it's stupid and ridiculous," Ritzheimer said beforehand, "but it's what needs to take place in order to expose the true colors of Islam."
D.C. Metro ending issue-oriented ads after Mohammed submission
Local Muslim leaders say they won't be intimidated.
"The Muslim community in America is here to stay and we are also well aware of the right to speak our mind and worship how we please," Dr. Yasir Shareef, a board member of the Arizona chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said at a press conference.
The White House says there's no justification for violence at the rally.
"Even expressions that are offensive, that are distasteful, and intended to sow divisions in an otherwise tight-knit, diverse community in Phoenix cannot be used as a justification to carry out an act of violence," White House spokesman Josh Earnest said.

source + full news + video:

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/29/us/mohammed-cartoon-contest/index.html

Freedom of speech works both ways the Muslim community is free to demostate outside any such "Art" exibitions.

Protest, counter-protest. Nothing unreasonable here.

Many Muslims consider demeaning depictions of Mohammed to be blasphemous and banned by Islamic law.

Which is relevant if you live in a country dictated by Islamic Law. The United States is not.

Denounce them as distasteful, express your disgust at them, call them ugly and upsetting but leave violence out of it.

• Like 3

I tell you what needs to stop: this new trend of putting hyperlinks into

code boxes

so that the links become unclickable! 

• Like 2

A protest outside a mosque due to ISIS? What, is this some sort of weird ISIS-only mosque that somehow exists? No?

"F--- Islam." [shirt.]

Oh, okay I get it. They're just bigots and all around horrible people. Gotcha. I bet these same people stood outside a Christian church when Timothy McVeigh blew up the FBI building "in the name of God."

EDIT: To be clear, I respect their right to do this absurd drawing contest, even if I think it's a terrible idea. It is legal (as long as it doesn't veer into hate speech territory) after all. I could do the standard "lamenting that people think all Muslims are terrorists" thing, but frankly, that horse is paste by now.

Freedom of speech works both ways the Muslim community is free to demostate outside any such "Art" exibitions.

True as long as it is not "Behead those that insult Islam" signs.

I think the "love thy neighbour" t-shirt says it all, really. It might not be illegal to hold a "draw the prophet Mohammed" contest, but it is still disrespectful and incredibly insulting to many people of that minority group. For a nation that considers itself Cristian to the core, many people have a great way of ignoring the main tenets of their own faith while insulting those of others.

its a old h4ck3r habit so im told :D

I thought it was a custom of warez forums.

Used in that context it's so there is no referral in the HTTP header, on neowin it doesn't matter.

I tell you what needs to stop: this new trend of putting hyperlinks into

code boxes
so that the links become unclickable!

when code box happens, i usually just Triple-Click it, press Ctrl+C, (optional press Ctrl+T), press Alt+D, press Ctrl+V, press Enter.

the workaround only works for sane browser tho.

Wait... I thought it was simply any illustration of Mohammed that was blasphemous?

Wait... I thought it was simply any illustration of Mohammed that was blasphemous?

I think it is to limit idolatry. Which makes getting angry at any non-Muslim who draws Muhammad kind of stupid. If you aren't a Muslim you aren't likely to engage in idolatry of a prophet you don't follow.