Let's talk coffee makers

They discontinued the vue. You won't find coffee for it. If you do it will be the last bit out there.

We went and got something like this: 

http://www.amazon.com/K2V-Cup-for-Keurig-VUE-Brewers/dp/B00H4G2UCY?tag=honestlyhones-20

But much cheaper, had it within a week of getting the machine, it was on sale and before the 2.0 K cup machine came out

That is the only thing that you can do to continue the use of your vue.  ~$.50 isn't that bad...you pay more grabbing a cup from anywhere else...it saves on a stop and it is pretty fast.  I was the only coffee drinker in the house, so it really made sense...about a year ago my wife started to drink coffee out of it, so I go through cups a bit faster.  Still not horrible from a price perspective, until you get into the $1+ per cup. 

Never understood the want for one of those machines.  Seems like a waste of money to me.  Like I drink minimum two cups of coffee per round.. I would go through a pack of those cups in no time. I also try and drink organic/fair trade cofee.. so one of those machines seems kind of silly to me.

I'd stick with a straight drip coffee maker (not that fancy press or anything).. does it's job and is cheaper than any of those machines.

Far too complicated.

1.  Kettle.

2.  Nescaf

I'm not a coffee snoib and will probably annoy people :) I purchased a CBTL Kaldi machine when it was on sale a few years ago, it was a good deal and it makes great coffee.

But Ive recently started using instant coffee and its much more convenient and the taste isn't that bad, I've discovered Nescafe instant, the one sold in Asia and South America, its much nicer coffee with a richer flavor and not burnt at all, and at Asian grocery stores it's cheaper as well sometimes.

My problem with pod machines is twofold:

Firstly, cost. Compared with buying your own beans, they're mighty expensive. I think I worked out that my beans cost 7p per cup. You'll never get a pod at that price.

Secondly - freshness. The moment you grind coffee, you start to lose flavour. How long ago was the coffee inside those pods ground? A week ago? A month ago? Could be a year ago for all we know.

Bean to cup machines tend to be a little more expensive, but IMO these little pod machines are a false economy. If you add up how much you'd spend on pods over, say, a 3 year period, it's probably more than you would have spent on a professional machine and beans. For example, I've had my Jura 4 years now, I paid

My problem with pod machines is twofold:

Firstly, cost. Compared with buying your own beans, they're mighty expensive. I think I worked out that my beans cost 7p per cup. You'll never get a pod at that price.

Secondly - freshness. The moment you grind coffee, you start to lose flavour. How long ago was the coffee inside those pods ground? A week ago? A month ago? Could be a year ago for all we know.

Bean to cup machines tend to be a little more expensive, but IMO these little pod machines are a false economy. If you add up how much you'd spend on pods over, say, a 3 year period, it's probably more than you would have spent on a professional machine and beans. For example, I've had my Jura 4 years now, I paid

• Like 2

Honestly, I hate how my coffee comes out. K-Cups are so expensive, and they taste like crap.

I'm a coffee freak. If it isn't to my usual standard, I'll sure as heck let you know it's sludge.

I use a french press, and I'll be roasting my own beans here soon. Anyways, Thanks sc302, those videos were helpful.

Edit:

Do I need to leave the magnet there all the time, or would I just place it there when I'm brewing a cup of coffee? If this works, I'm going to charge my company for a few hours of pay ;)

I stick to ye Olde Classic (a Mr. Coffee 12-cup coffee maker).  I can use store-bought or personally-ground whole-bean, depending on what I'm in the mood for.  (For store-bought pre-ground, it's usually Maxwell House Colombian or Starbucks Fair Trade Colombian - for whole-bean, I prefer Mayorga - and not just because it's locally-roasted, which I did NOT know when I tried them the first time.  The trick to whole-bean is NOT just to keep it properly, but to ONLY grind what you will use that day -that USE is better.  I usually grind 4-cup and 6-cup batches because I brew no more than 4 or 6 cups at a time.  (My cup is a two-cup thermal that is usually by my desk.)

I prefer either Colombian or Kona or a split of one of the two with estate-grown Blue Mountain (to craft the split, I use whole-bean of each half and grind them together in my blade-grinder in a batch).  The Blue Mountain smoothes the taste, while the Colombian does what it's supposed to - make sure I'm good and awake.

I have nothing against Starbucks (as either establishment or as a coffee brand) - they ARE a cut above the usual (Maxwell House and Folgers among the older national brands).  However, Peet's is below Starbucks (too smooth and somewhat under-caffeinated), while the ostentatiously-named Seattle's Best actually splits the diff between Peet's and Starbucks.  Mayorga flat-out ambushed me, though.  There are REASONS why local roasts work - and it generally has to do with travel time between roast and grind - it's why least-time grinding is better than pre-ground OR store-ground.  Mayorga has their own roastery located in Rockville - literally next door to their warehouse.  In addition to their coffeehouses, they also supply the local grocery stores, Whole Foods, the local Costco locations, and Mom's Organic Market - a local Whole Foods competitor.

Coffee exists for a reason - to make sure you stay wake during the long slog that represents shift work.  However, that doesn't mean that you have to stay either dishwater-dull OR get overly spendy.  With my combo of old-school coffeemaker and least-time grinding with my own grinder, I split the difference, which still works for me.

Never understood the want for one of those machines.  Seems like a waste of money to me.  Like I drink minimum two cups of coffee per round.. I would go through a pack of those cups in no time. I also try and drink organic/fair trade cofee.. so one of those machines seems kind of silly to me.

I'd stick with a straight drip coffee maker (not that fancy press or anything).. does it's job and is cheaper than any of those machines.

I'm the same way. When I bought my coffee maker, I wanted the least amount of fluff and extra crap that just ends up breaking. My coffee maker has a single button and that's ON. It's perfect.

Sadly, I'm a diet coke drinker now but I once got hooked on coffee where I worked. We had a coffee place where I worked that was dedicated to selling freshly ground coffee. The grounds, not the servings. I got hooked on the coffee that came from that store because it was always very fresh. 

After drinking coffee from that store for a long time I tried to drink a "Maxwell House" type of coffee and could barely keep it in my mouth it was so bad.

The fresher the better.  :)

What about something like this?

https://www.cuisinart.com/products/coffee_makers/dgb-1.html

Single serving with grinder.  When my Keurig dies, this is what I'm going to get.

Look on Amazon reviews. This one has pretty bad reviews all around.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DGB-1-Single-Grind-Coffeemaker/dp/B00NSGD0O6/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1433098718&sr=1-2&keywords=cuisinart+single+cup

I wanted to know of some recommendations for coffee makers similar to the Keurig 2.0. I didnt want to buy the 2.0 model due to the DRM thing thats on the cups(yes I know it can be hacked). There doesnt seem to be any hint at a 3.0 model in sight so I am looking for something that will use all K-cups whether its for coffee, tea or even hot chocolate. If this need to go in hardware, forum mods please move it to that section.

They are going to start allowing refillable cups again on the Keurig.  Read that a couple weeks ago.

With that said, I just use a french press to brew my coffee.  Tastes much better than any coffee maker.  I buy good/decent coffee and grind the beans fresh.

Are we talking average joe cupa  or real men espresso coffee maker :shifty:

Pffft.  You're all just coffee prudes. Nothing at all wrong with Nescaf

My preference is for a traditional coffee maker. I have a Cuisinart with a lot of nice features - battery backup for the time and preset, a water filter and the carafe is a thermos, so the coffee stays hot for a long time (not that it usually lasts long enough to even start to cool!).

I use Wawa coffee, with a small selection of flavored creamers for variety. The fresh coffee at Wawa is the best I've had, and the stuff you bring home comes reasonably close to the experience. Certainly better than Starbucks, and a lot more affordable.

I'd never consider a pod coffeemaker - I drink too much coffee for those things to be practical or cost-effective. Why wait for the coffee to brew 3 times when I can have my usual 3 cups waiting for me when I wake up? My cousin has a Keurig, and it just takes too long to get everyone their coffee. I don't like waiting in line at home for my coffee.

Are we talking average joe cupa  or real men espresso coffee maker :shifty:

Imma quote something I found on teh interwebz

• What starbucks did was create a mass conscience of there is better coffee available (at least under names), they

Keurig is good for 1 or 2 cups at a time, really that is what it was designed for...the single coffee drinker in the house or an occasional cup in the office...not a line of 4+ people.  If you have a entire family you would go for a different coffee maker that can brew 10+ cups at a time.