Let's talk coffee makers

I had a Melitta that I really liked until I broke the top.  It had a nice glass thermal carafe, none of that stainless junk.

At home, we have relied on "Joltin Joe" DiMaggio's Mr. Coffee (twelve-cup on the kitchen and four cup in the guest bedroom upstairs).  For the coffees themselves, we've used wide varieties - from the national brands (such as Maxwell House, Folger's, and even Eight O'Clock (yes - the old A&P "house brand" that has since gone independent) to Starbucks and their various national and local competitors (the independents all have US-located roasting locales, and are as wildly varied as the roasters themselves; in just six months I've tried coffees roasted in six different states - Maine, Maryland, North Carolina, California, Washington state (two brands) and Hawaii.  Where possible, I've preferred whole-bean (I have my own blade grinder); however, not every brand is available whole-bean (or stays in stock whole-bean - surprisingly, Eight O-Clock is getting harder to find in whole-bean these days).

• 11 months later...
On 6/3/2015 at 6:24 PM, wv@gt said:

Tried various pod and keureg makers as well as tradition coffee makers. I've found that my handy bodum single serve french press makes the best cup for me flavor wise and overall has been cheaper in the long run. 

Can't not to bump this old topic because I tried Keureg makers too and I agree with some people there, they weren't so good, I didn't like them :/ I also have one nespresso maker, it's a good one but i can't say that that special coffee made with them is so extraordinary cool :D I have a model like on this pic :)

61Zd78itmL._SL1500_-500x472.jpg

Thanks for sharing with your experience, maybe I'll try that french model in future too :)
And at the current time I like the most of all coffee makers with grinders, they have really a good quality and are very comfortable in that combination with grinder :) I have this Haier one for several years and it works as good as in the day I used it for the first time :rolleyes:

61IsQwtwOpL._SL1000_-500x500.jpg

My kind of topic!

A couple years ago, my wife gave me a budget of $100 for a "good" coffee maker. I read a bunch of reviews and came to the conclusion that the Bunn MyCafe would be the best fit for me, only it was $140 on Amazon (it's since gone up!). Wife approved the purchase, and we've both been happy with it ever since. It does K-cups, and I'm okay with them (environmentally and the coffee snob in me), but the one time it let me down, I carried it to work and the only water they had was some kind of spring water or mineral water, the kind you get delivered. My coffee maker refused it! So I had to pour it out (which was a giant pain in the knob) and then fill it with water collected from a bathroom sink. All I could get. I mean it wasn't bad water, but I use a Brita filter at home, and it takes that water no problem.

Someone mentioned the Hamilton Beach model... I got that for $30 or $40 at Walmart, and it is nowhere near as good, but it works. What I don't like about it... well, one thing... I got some Kahlua K-Cups, and it actually melted the plastic and deformed them. So I have to wonder if any plastic got in my coffee? Did not drink it. Regular K-Cups (I really like Green Mountain caramel vanilla cream flavor) don't melt in it, though.

At work, I ultimately just use a Melitta pour over cone and white #2 filters. Coffee from Fresh Market. I like to mix the flavors. I'm not a true coffee snob, but I did ask my wife for a French press for my birthday. I keep hearing they're the Alpha and Omega of coffee makers. We'll see. They don't cost that much. Like $25-30. And this is a glass one I'm looking at. I've seen a few videos where coffee snobs use blind taste tests, and I've seen the pour over method come out on top, although they used a more expensive rig. I figure it's all the same though.

Quick question about pouring over, if anyone knows, should I pour slowly and keep the grounds in the bottom half, or just fill the cone, letting the grounds wash all up on the sides? Does it even matter?

On 2016-6-22 at 7:38 AM, Draconian Guppy said:

My Gaggia requieres constant maintenance :/ 

well my Gaggia has since failed me. :/