Anticipating Windows 10 RTM - would It Be Build 10400 or Build 10800?

Is there a way to opt out of installing new builds on the device though?

I really don't see why they have made the licensing so complicated - the fact that several very clued up tech heads don't really understand it means it's too complicated. Why couldn't it just be:

- Windows 7/8 License = Activated

- Insider signed in = Activated (could say max 2 or 3 machines)

- Anyone else - pay.

It'd be so much simpler.

Yup, they should have done that from the very start. The reason for this arrangement is in fact quite simple: Preview builds need to be activated so testers could fully try out all the feature/functions, and Preview builds all have a time-bomb, RTM could not have a time-bomb, so the mandatory update to the next Preview release acts as a time-bomb. :)

All win7/8/8.1 recevied it, it doesn't mean you would get a free legit activated win10, unless your win7/8/8.1 was legit activated.

Not all win 8.1...

Enterprise editions haven't got it...

Not all win 8.1...

Enterprise editions haven't got it...

Yup, sorry made that low-end mistake, what I meant was those win7/8.1 activated by KMS or MAK also received it. :)

Windows Enterprise can be activated by KMS too...

It has nothing to do with the activation method,rather more than its specific edition features. (ex. Pro vs. Enterprise).

All that does seem to actually matter here is producer's future plans.

Windows Enterprise can be activated by KMS too...

It has nothing to do with the activation method,rather more than its specific edition features. (ex. Pro vs. Enterprise).

All that does seem to actually matter here is producer's future plans.

Nah, what I meant in that post was GWX doesn't check the activation channel, it will be done by the upgrade tool, so if the OS(e.g. Pro edition) was activted by KMS or MAK, it will still install GWX nonetheless.

You would get pushed new insider builds. Not advisable for a production machine.

However, there is nothing stopping you from dual-booting Insider builds with RTM on a production machine - I've done exactly that since 7.  (As much as fans of virtualization - of any sort - may despise me for saying that, there ARE uses in terms of testing that running in a VM - from anyone - is flat-out unsuitable for.  It's not a knock against a particular sort of virtualization, but ALL sorts of virtualization - including Hyper-V.)

Where it gets dicier are notebooks - and legacy notebooks in particular.  All too many of them have small-by-comparison platter drives - even Baby Pavilion has only a 300GB (unformatted) platter drive.  That is why I'm looking at a 500GB SSD for it, so I can dual-boot with far fewer capacity issues.

• Like 1

Nah, what I meant in that post was GWX doesn't check the activation channel, it will be done by the upgrade tool, so if the OS(e.g. Pro edition) was activted by KMS or MAK, it will still install GWX nonetheless.

Except if the ''e.g'' is Enterprise and not Pro. 

Is there a way to opt out of installing new builds on the device though?

I really don't see why they have made the licensing so complicated - the fact that several very clued up tech heads don't really understand it means it's too complicated. Why couldn't it just be:

- Windows 7/8 License = Activated

- Insider signed in = Activated (could say max 2 or 3 machines)

- Anyone else - pay.

It'd be so much simpler.

There ARE Insiders that test on multiple PCs (in fact, some that test on more PCs than I do - in my case, it's one desktop and two notebooks) - that still threatens to make the issue arbitrary and capricious.  Instead, Microsoft chose the LEAST capricious option - Insiders use the existing MSA structure to both log in and register their Insider builds - the only limits are those imposed by specific software (OneDrive, for example, has limits as to the number of licensed devices per MSA - note that this is NOT a Windows-based limit).  This same structure is used by Apple for OS X testing (as much as Apple tried to limit testing to Apple's own hardware, that hasn't worked since 10.7 - at most, they are paying lip-service today).

I've heard another rumor that RTM could be build 12000, although it's quite "fantastic", but 12000 is a multiple of 16 and 100 ........ maybe MS wanted to tell people that "Win10 is twice as good as Vista(build 6000)"? :laugh:

I've heard another rumor that RTM could be build 12000, although it's quite "fantastic", but 12000 is a multiple of 16 and 100 ........ maybe MS wanted to tell people that "Win10 is twice as good as Vista(build 6000)"? :laugh:

I knew it. :p I think I called it in this topic too.

Just got off the phone with Paul Allen, who was on the beach with Gates. And they overheard 2 island locals discussing the final build number was found written in a paper from a message in a bottle that washed up on shore the night before. It was obviously legit because Gabe and Satya signed it themselves and put a happy face on the note that said "Have a nice day" and it said "Build 123456" so show how simple Windows 10 is to use.

or maybe I just dreamt all of this, which is about as accurate as the rest of the conversation/guessing  :rofl:  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

I knew it. :p I think I called it in this topic too.

That's the reason I use Insider program on either test machine or VM as long as I like... I don't care if it gets buggy or screwed up...  Because I have a production machine for everything else such graphic design, web surfing, etc.

multiple? or you mean divisable by ;):p

Does the multiple of 16 rule even still apply? Wasn't it meant so that the extra binary digits could be used for the service pack number? (e.g. 6000 = RTM, 6002 = SP2) They aren't used that way anymore.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/jj663498.aspx

Yup, there won't be SP's, but the problem is the 16-multiple rule(or more precisly, the rule that the first 4 bit of the RTM build number binary string must be 0) was contained in the standing procedures of QFE(quick fix engineering) when compiling hotfixes(updates) for RTM build. If they wish to remove this rule, they have to develop a new standing procedure and test on it.

That was what happened when win8 RTM, they wished to use the RTM build No. 8888(incidentally, it was Sinofsky's desired number), and when they ran the sign-off test-runs, they got a problem in the QFE test, and so had to hastily change the build no. to 9200. :)

multiple of and divisable by are not the same thing.

Well this is sort of off topic, but pretty sure they're the same thing. 

For instance: 42 is divisible by 6, which means 42 is a multiple of 6.

So yes, 12000 is divisible by both 16 and 100, and is therefore also a multiple of both 16 and 100.

multiple of and divisable by are not the same thing.

Whatever you say, Sir, I don't fight with city hall. :laugh:

btw, 2 things:

1. Paul Allen is presently 150M under water in Leyte Bay, in a diving bell on turret 1 of his baby, the Japanese battleship Musashi, so yes, you were just dreaming.

2. Win10 RTM expected "very shortly"(in about a week), take this with a truckload of salt. :)

• Like 1

10666 :shiftyninja:

Sounds evil,mwahaha. :laugh:

Win10 RTM expected "very shortly"(in about a week), take this with a truckload of salt. :)

Last time they said July 29...(in about a month).

What I've missed?

Sounds evil,mwahaha. :laugh:

Last time they said July 29...(in about a month).

What I've missed?

July 29 is the release date, the RTM comes before then.
  • Like 2